Supporting documents for UK Visitor Visa

Applying for UK visitor visa for girlfriend and concerned about the lack of evidence we are able to provide.

Currently the only documents that prove we're in a genuine relationship are various flight e-tickets. All other rent, hotel bookings, and bills the past 2-years of relationship have been under my name. I've heard photos are not accepted.

Will the following circumstances help/hinder with the application?

• Girlfriend has had a government job the past 8 years, and is only allowed 2 weeks off at a time, which is how long we wish to travel for
  • She has 2 loans - one for the house she built, one for her car
  • She has 1 son
  • My father will be a guarantor, and will be providing accomadation for the full 2 weeks stay, spending money and flight tickets
  • Both our Thai bank accounts will only have 20-30k in them
  • She will have a new and unused passport, my passport shows 3-years living in Thailand, and I also have a work permit for a job I will returning to

You're girlfriend actually has to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer, the decision maker, that on the balance of probabilities she is likely to return to her home country than the fact you're both in a relationship.

The fact she's a government employee, and has been for a number of years, together with the fact that she's only seeking entry clearance for a visit of a resonable length will go a long way towards persuading the ECO that she's a genuine applicant. She needs to provide proof of her employment together with a letter from her employers outlining her employment and confirming that a leave of absense is approved for the length she's applying for. The letter can be in Thai or English, if the letter is in Thai it will need to be translated into English they author will be expected to communicate in English if a member of the UKVI team in Bangkok call them for confirmation of the letter, which they often do.

You've said your working inThailand, so in that the case provide copies of your passport detailing staus here, your permission and length of stay in Thailand, visas, extention of stay, and your work permit from your employment.

Forget the loans, they won't be taken into consideration, and whilst she can mention her son it won't be used as a reason to return as quite often Thai ladies leave their children with parents whilst they travel abroad in search of a better life. If she is living in the house she had built then of course mention it.

You're correct in respect to the photos, the UKVI specifiaclly advise against attempting to send them. 

Your father should provide details of the financial support he's offering, he's not actually acting as guarantor, he can't guarantee that she'll comply with the terms of her visa, he's just offering finacial support. He should provide evidence that he's in a position to do so, and if your staying with him, he should provide a covering letter confirming that suitable accomodation is available.

Given the reasonable length of your proposed trip coupled with the fact your father is providing financial support, then the funds in your bank accounts should be sufficient, if your salaries are paid into the accounts, even better.

1 minute ago, clarky cat said:

i'm very confused about the sponsorship letter

I will not be supporting her financially, my father will, so does this require a letter from both myself (explaining our relationship) and my father (explaining proof of funds etc.)?

It's not actually a sponsorship letter, it will be supporting letters clarifying points made in the application.

You should certainly write a short letter outlining your relationship, living arrangements, your status here and the purpose of the trip. Your girlfriend could write a similar letter.

Your father should write a note confirming that he's providing finacial support, and why, and of course evidence that he's in a position to do so.

The letter should be short and to the point, the ECO doesn't want to read too much, just the salient points, they don't have a lot of time to make a decision, your job is to make it easier for them to make the right decision.

1 minute ago, clarky cat said:

our salaries are paid into thai bank accounts yes, but are bank statements required if we won't be using them for our visit?

They provide confirmation that salaries are paid into the accounts and provide some evidence of stability here, the decision maker would probably assume that you'll be taking some cash for incidentals and that you have funds to come to.

Archived