Group representing European businesses in Thailand calls for TM.30 and TM.28 to be abolished

webfact

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes but that is because US for instance had no real checks and was not going to change that. Not sure about the UK. But my Dutch one still does it but then again they really checked the documents to make sure the applicant was not lying. 

The British Consulate was very thorough checking the documentation and finances.  I think they welcomed the opportunity to drop this from their work-load.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, zydeco said:

It's more than the TM 30, the TM 28, the cancelling of letters of income for extension renewal for most of us, and the fact that once you renew your passport you must go out of the country before the online 90 days will work again. It's also the ever present hints about the requirements for health insurance coverage that costs more than the procedures they cover and all the exclusions and the notion that Thailand feels like it's not getting enough with the 800,000 bank requirement and so now forces us to keep 400,000 in the bank all year round and 800,000 for five months. All that and laws that can be cancelled, changed, dropped, enforced, or forgotten about on a whim. That is why I not only stopped traveling a year ago within Thailand but stopped making major purchases for appliances and other goods that were getting old. I just repair and get by now on spending less than 20,000 per month, whereas I was spending 90,000 per month and more beforehand. I will not commit more than a penny I have to until this place gives me a better fix on what it has in mind for the future of all of us.

How long have you got????

5 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

The British Consulate was very thorough checking the documentation and finances.  I think they welcomed the opportunity to drop this from their work-load.

Dutch ones do a good job seem they are still giving statements. 

This just shows that Thai officialdom is petty and insecure.  Even China does not go this far.  If I crash at a girl friend's place in Shanghai, nobody cares.  Aren't far more crimes perpetrated by the local population than that of the poor, overly tracked, molested foreigners?

Ok folks now is the time to sit back and wait, when an influential body starts kicking things happen easy really to understand, if a business wishes to invest in Thailand and it brings some key skilled staff they may only be able to work a 4 day week if they wish to go out and about weekends and spend a baht or two, its serious stuff to consider before you invest in Thailand

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

How long have you got????

Ok stop stop stop we are all in the same swamp which is why it is easy to see the tourism issues the thai's have, but it is only we that can see or others se but prefer to bury there heads in the sand

8 hours ago, webfact said:

‘ease of doing business’ issues which can be addressed now for the benefit of all parties, not only European, and not only foreigners.

easy to say and they really expect Thais to lose face and changing their "thick" envelope system.... good luck than

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Absolutely, yes.

I now have the TM30 username and password. I have the app on my phone. I have friends who live in other provinces who have the same. So now one of my friends can report me staying at his house in Buriram, etc. I can then report myself as home in Bangkok on the app. Now, let's just say, as crazy as it might sound - I didn't really go to Buriram. Let's say I was doing some nefarious activities far away. Wouldn't our registration of the TM30 be a great alibi? Or would it simply show that self-disclosure is meaningless when you're a criminal. 

My god, the TM30 is so ******* stupid. 

The difference between we aliens and the Thais is that we have the ability to look at every angle and analyse and think things through before implementing anything. The Thais can do none of these things. It is amazing that the country even manages to operate at all.

You can see it over and over and over again. Build a new international airport that is filled to capacity the day it is opened, so have to re-open an abandoned airport that is also now way over capacity. No forward planning. Build, belatedly, an airport rail link with a massive check-in area at Makkasan, with no easy access to it resulting in it being an empty unused shell. I could go on...

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Aren't far more crimes perpetrated by the local population than that of the poor, overly tracked, molested foreigners?

I'd imagine that, not naturally, 99.9 percent of the crime and terror activities in Thailand are carried out by Thais. But it is we aliens who are targeted. There is no practical purpose to it at all, and it is merely a reflection of Thailand's xenophobia.

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It seems everyone and their dog are now on the case. Now all we need to do is hope the Thais are listening and paying attention.

The pressure needs to be kept on 24/7/365 to see it's done and done properly. Exactly like overseeing somchais at a construction site. You need to sit there non-stop with a shotgun locked & loaded.

5 hours ago, the guest said:

Thais listening to pesky foreigners ?

They are listening to money. The free trade agreement is wisely being used as leverage. Crank it to the max and go for the jugular, meaning open up the PR route. I don't care if it's for EU citizens only, I'm selfish enough to take it ????

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

It's more than the TM 30, the TM 28, the cancelling of letters of income for extension renewal for most of us, and the fact that once you renew your passport you must go out of the country before the online 90 days will work again. It's also the ever present hints about the requirements for health insurance coverage that costs more than the procedures they cover and all the exclusions and the notion that Thailand feels like it's not getting enough with the 800,000 bank requirement and so now forces us to keep 400,000 in the bank all year round and 800,000 for five months. All that and laws that can be cancelled, changed, dropped, enforced, or forgotten about on a whim. That is why I not only stopped traveling a year ago within Thailand but stopped making major purchases for appliances and other goods that were getting old. I just repair and get by now on spending less than 20,000 per month, whereas I was spending 90,000 per month and more beforehand. I will not commit more than a penny I have to until this place gives me a better fix on what it has in mind for the future of all of us.

Letters of income were cancelled by the embassies not Immigration and if you were doing letters of income why would you also do the mandatory deposits?  

9 hours ago, webfact said:

It is hard to see how security which relies on self‐disclosure can be a useful solution”, Mr. Eriksson explained.

Since when did common sense prevail in Thailand?

Time for TM28 & TM30 along with annual visa holders doing 90 day checks to be totally abolished... not

tweaked.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

It is hard to see how security which relies on self‐disclosure can be a useful solution”, Mr. Eriksson explained.

Exactly!  This entire point is missed by the Thai Government. The TM30 is just a hassle that is used as a blunt object to enhance corruption.

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It seems everyone and their dog are now on the case. Now all we need to do is hope the Thais are listening and paying attention.

Good to see a positive post especially addressing this problem, like you said at least we have hope, which is an improvement over last week.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Time for TM28 & TM30 along with annual visa holders doing 90 day checks to be totally abolished... not tweaked.

The TM47 90day checks should be on the kill list as well. It can all be replaced by using the existing system with yellow thabian baan and the pink ID.

58 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The TM47 90day checks should be on the kill list as well. It can all be replaced by using the existing system with yellow thabian baan and the pink ID.

That may be okay for you, I don't have either of those, what is your solution to that please ?

17 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

That may be okay for you, I don't have either of those, what is your solution to that please ?

To issue them to every alien that gets a stay permit for >90 days.

The original idea was likely to issue them only to PRs, but as Thais are unwilling to open that route, then at least make their own job easier by applying it to longer term stay permit extensions. Only needs to be done once, then you have your Thai ID number beginning with 6 and that could and should be used instead of passport number everywhere where needed. Moving permanent address would be the same process as Thais, get a new yellow thabian baan and ID at the new address.

There's a lot that needs to be done because the entire system is just taped and bubble gummed together without any one thinking it through.

12 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Absolutely, yes.

I now have the TM30 username and password. I have the app on my phone. I have friends who live in other provinces who have the same. So now one of my friends can report me staying at his house in Buriram, etc. I can then report myself as home in Bangkok on the app. Now, let's just say, as crazy as it might sound - I didn't really go to Buriram. Let's say I was doing some nefarious activities far away. Wouldn't our registration of the TM30 be a great alibi? Or would it simply show that self-disclosure is meaningless when you're a criminal. 

My god, the TM30 is so ******* stupid. 

You think the thought process ever went that far?

11 hours ago, Airalee said:

The Thai government can have their ฿800 from me.  They will be missing out on lots of tax revenue however as I have recently chosen to take my “beach holidays” back in So Cal where I can hang out at my friends place in Playa Vista.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to my favorite hotels...

AWA Koh Chang

Ibis (HuaHin & Kata)

Too many Phuket hotels to mention.

All the related businesses (taxis, restaurants, massage shops, etc)

I’m sorry I won’t be staying with you or patronizing your businesses in the near future.  You can thank your government for that.

Spend every Baht like it’s a vote!

Playa Vista just last week...

BC4B1F5A-579D-4C9A-BAA2-BE402943A9C2.jpeg

Get Bill Gates to do something about those powerlines

Archived