Memory

jonesthepost

I have had a pop up saying that my computer is low on memory while using Opera browser and last evening Opera kept crashing and freezing so removed Opera and ran a memory check which showed no problems am now using Chrome and it now seems to be OK.  So could the problem been a fault with Opera browser   

To follow up from above. This is a picture of the task manager. It shows the total amount of RAM (in that screenshot 16GB) and the used amount or RAM (6.8GB).

The amount of used RAM changes when you open and close programs. If you open lots of windows then you need lots of RAM.

If your usage is consistently below the total then you don't need more RAM. If you open i.e. 5 windows and you use 3.5GB and your PC has only 4GB then it's time to install more RAM or buy a new PC - or never use lots of windows at the same time.

TaskManager.png.d4cbf8a452b9b25dc575c21cfb0ba4e7.png

Years ago used Opera but ditched it due the memory issue. Thought they would have fixed it by now but a look at their forum shows its still presenting problems.

One of the things that makes Opera a fast browser is its automatic RAM cache. This can be disabled in the Preferences Editor to resolve your memory issue but then subsequent pages on the same site will load slower!

All browsers build in cache retention in their bid to be the fastest browser and Web sites such as Thaivisa have loads of scrips bringing up Ads etc.  Both are a drain on memory. Not a lot you can do about the first part but a good Ad Blocker certainly should help with the scrips.

Archived