Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

it's all about staying in a big beauty destroying concrete box and getting a sun tan, with a lot of drinking and displays of local dancing tarted up for the tourists.

reminds me of an interview with billy idol

when the reporter stated the industry was all about sex and drugs, to which he replied: horrible isnt it ? ????

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I support her and the efforts for activism to promote the need for a change in the current amount of carbon emissions.

Why deny something with so much science behind it? Rising global temperatures making the sea levels rise.

It's only like 100 companies that are responsible for the majority of emissions.

" It gets even worse. The Carbon Majors Report revealed that more than half of all industrial emissions over the past 30 years were put out by just 25 corporate and state-owned entities. Twenty-five companies are killing us, smothering us, stealing our futures while choking us (and not the fun kind of consensual choking done in the bedroom. This is the bad kind of choking that results in drought and hurricanes and your dog stuck in a tree!). "

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/just-100-companies-will-sign-humanitys-death-sentence/

Truthdig article Just 100 Companies Will Sign Humanity’s Death Warrant by Lee Camp 2.JPG

On a side note, anyone seen that death metal remake of her speech? ????

I am not sure what her dreams were but: Cruising around North America in Arnold Schwarzenegger's Tesla, going to posh hotels, getting the rock star treatment wherever you go, plus a certain permanent level of celebrity she will be able to cash in on for life, has to be some consolation for teenager from Sweden.

On 10/18/2019 at 7:56 PM, Sujo said:

You guys still going on about this

Weeks ago a teenage girl made a speech you disapprove of, and you guys are still going on about it.  It's getting a little perverse.  Or do you guys get paid to do this?

Who the hell takes teenagers seriously anyway?  Or are some of you those incels I've been hearing about?

31 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

Why deny something with so much science behind it? Rising global temperatures making the sea levels rise.

How much has it risen where you are? Where I am it's rising at about a millimetre or so every year? Too little to even notice. Don't think it's risen any higher than when I was a boy.

20 hours ago, RickBradford said:

And the science that the UN scientists decided on, bears almost no relation to the apocalyptic nonsense that Greta Thunberg has been spouting all around the globe.

As an informed supporter of UN science, can you link to the bit where the UN scientists state - or endorse the idea - that "Around the year 2030, 10 years 252 days and 10 hours away from now, we will be in a position where we set off an irreversible chain reaction beyond human control, that will most likely lead to the end of our civilisation as we know it."?

That was one of the most prominent statements in Greta's address to the UK parliament, and I would appreciate your help in finding out where UN scientists said that, or anything like it.

The science is settled and she is telling leaders of the world to do their job and do something.

how dare she.

3 minutes ago, Sujo said:

The science is settled and she is telling leaders of the world to do their job and do something.

how dare she.

The leaders of my country should be giving the citizens a better life, not pandering to the ranting of a teenager. They were not elected to tax us into poverty and destroy primary industries that pay for everything in the country.

1 hour ago, Solinvictus said:

I support her and the efforts for activism to promote the need for a change in the current amount of carbon emissions.

It's only like 100 companies that are responsible for the majority of emissions.

" It gets even worse. The Carbon Majors Report revealed that more than half of all industrial emissions over the past 30 years were put out by just 25 corporate and state-owned entities. Twenty-five companies are killing us, smothering us, stealing our futures while choking us (and not the fun kind of consensual choking done in the bedroom. This is the bad kind of choking that results in drought and hurricanes and your dog stuck in a tree!). "

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/just-100-companies-will-sign-humanitys-death-sentence/

Truthdig article Just 100 Companies Will Sign Humanity’s Death Warrant by Lee Camp 2.JPG

Could be the moon doing overtime regarding some sea level rise. Well it does control our tides, doesn't it.........Where I had my boat there was no sea rise that I noticed over 30 years..????

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The leaders of my country should be giving the citizens a better life, not pandering to the ranting of a teenager. They were not elected to tax us into poverty and destroy primary industries that pay for everything in the country.

That's what she is advocating. A 'better life.' That includes actions taken against the amount of pollution/carbon emissions. 

On one hand you say leaders should be giving citizens a better life. I fully agree. Those huge corporations and state owned polluters should be considered in giving as you mentioned, 'a better life.' A cleaner life, I might add.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How much has it risen where you are? Where I am it's rising at about a millimetre or so every year? Too little to even notice. Don't think it's risen any higher than when I was a boy.

Point taken. I will check some information about it to clear up the differences in opinions, facts.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Could be the moon doing overtime regarding some sea level rise. Well it does control our tides, doesn't it.........Where I had my boat there was no sea rise that I noticed over 30 years..????

Point taken. I will check some information about it to clear up the differences in opinions, facts.

6 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

That's what she is advocating. A 'better life.' That includes actions taken against the amount of pollution/carbon emissions. 

On one hand you say leaders should be giving citizens a better life. I fully agree. Those huge corporations and state owned polluters should be considered in giving as you mentioned, 'a better life.' A cleaner life, I might add.

Not every country has hugely polluting corporations. That would be countries with large populations and large industrialisation.

That said, even we need to get cleaner and stop using landfills because our governments couldn't be bothered putting proper recycling into place.

Would also help if we had something resembling public transport that people want to use.

18 minutes ago, Sujo said:

how dare she.

Earth's environment is the most complex science problem anywhere in the universe, in part because it's driven by living organisms.  Can you  say just which parts you think are 'settled"? Or do you mean the scaremongering is settled.

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Weeks ago a teenage girl made a speech you disapprove of, and you guys are still going on about it.  It's getting a little perverse.  Or do you guys get paid to do this?

Who the hell takes teenagers seriously anyway?  Or are some of you those incels I've been hearing about?

She's still going on about it stamping her foot and being rude to people, maybe if she went back home to school we could forget the little idiot?

1 hour ago, Solinvictus said:

Did you read the article you posted? It's nonsense. He lists all the companies producing fossil fuels. Duh. OTOH, energy consumption is universal. No wonder people don't trust activists.

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Did you read the article you posted? It's nonsense. He lists all the companies producing fossil fuels. Duh. OTOH, energy consumption is universal. No wonder people don't trust activists.

Your contribution to the topic is in total disregard of the point. The point is that those few companies/entities produce the majority of emissions/pollution. Are you aware that there is a need for renewable energies? Departing from the use of fossil fuels which are quite dirty. Why wouldn’t he list the source of the emissions/pollution? Duh?

You also then say it’s “nonsense.” Nonsense due to not only his calling out of such sources of emissions/pollution but the Carbon Majors Report findings? Please explain more.

Next, you go on to say “No wonder people don’t trust activists.” Right..let’s degrade ‘activists.’ Yes, of course I read it.

Again and lastly, I say, your comment was in total disregard of the point and issue at hand.

Doctor: You drink too much.

Some people: No, I’m fine. Everyone drinks. Never trusted doctors anyway.

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Earth's environment is the most complex science problem anywhere in the universe, in part because it's driven by living organisms.  Can you  say just which parts you think are 'settled"? Or do you mean the scaremongering is settled.

You are making arguments on here and yet you dont know?

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

She's still going on about it stamping her foot and being rude to people, maybe if she went back home to school we could forget the little idiot?

Yes i suppose its hard to forget her when someone obviously held a gun to your heard and made you click on the link to read about her.

That does make it difficult.

Your contribution to the topic is in total disregard of the point. The point is that those few companies/entities produce the majority of emissions/pollution. Are you aware that there is a need for renewable energies? Departing from the use of fossil fuels which are quite dirty. Why wouldn’t he list the source of the emissions/pollution? Duh?

You also then say it’s “nonsense.” Nonsense due to not only his calling out of such sources of emissions/pollution but the Carbon Majors Report findings? Please explain more.
Next, you go on to say “No wonder people don’t trust activists.” Right..let’s degrade ‘activists.’ Yes, of course I read it.

Again and lastly, I say, your comment was in total disregard of the point and issue at hand.

Doctor: You drink too much.
Some people: No, I’m fine. Everyone drinks. Never trusted doctors anyway.

So again, why do not bear responsibility for the products you have and do use?

Why is it the fault of the companies that provide you with what you want?

Doctor: “You drink too much.”

You: “It’s the brewer’s fault!”

3 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

firstly, temperature causes the ocean to give up co2,

giving an increase in atmospheric co2,

not the other way around.

secondly, choke on what exactly ?

for your info plants die below 150 ppm co2,

and with them, everything else on the planet surface,

it came close to that at the bottom of last ice age,

180 ppm.

scientists already found a world wide biomass increase

as a result of our effort to increase atmospheric co2 to 400 ppm, still a far cry off professional greenhouse owners

that pump bottled co2 into the greenhouse up to 1200+ ppm, but far better then current atmospheric levels

On 10/17/2019 at 1:11 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

1. I’ll call you out on your source.

You’ve posted a graphic which purports to be a histogram based on data from CRED, you have also posted a link to emdat.be/database.

What you have not posted is a link to where the graphic came from.

Please provide a link to where you got the graphic that you posted

2. What specific analytical methods did you use to analyze the data? 

1. Why do I need to post a link to where the graph (chart) came from? You saw it on TVF, didn't you?

2. When and If i publish any results of my analysis I will make sure to account for any analytical method used. ????

Meanwhile, please feel free to contemplate the data collected and analysed by CRED.

Screenshot 2019-10-20 at 10.44.00.png

51 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

Your contribution to the topic is in total disregard of the point. The point is that those few companies/entities produce the majority of emissions/pollution.

No. The oil producers do not produce the emissions. Consumers do, by using fuel or buying products that need energy to produce.  The original article in the Guardian purposely mashes facts to gin up emotion and hatred. The article you quoted is little more than an informational drive by shooting.

Why are you still going on about it?

I fully approve of her addressing the UN, more power to her.

I wonder if she flys coach?

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:45 AM, nobodysfriend said:

Well . it is not about WHY it happens , it is more about HOW to prevent the damage by the fast development of the effects of climate changes .

And that the climate is changing is a fact , or do you deny that ...?

nobody , wars are generally recognized as being bad for everyone , apart from arms sales , however nobody is rushing around trying to prevent wars , it is just accepted as a part of life or rather death  . The same with climate change  , nobody is going to do much , other than tinkering until you are unable to get insurance or planes start falling out of the sky  etc . Then things might change but not before.

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

Manmade global warming is a scientific fact....a

Climate denial is just a cavalcade of fools

No it's not, except to the people who think Nikola Tesla invented everything, we never landed on the moon and who think the earth is flat, they can prove it all with 'science'

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Manmade global warming is a scientific fact....a

Climate denial is just a cavalcade of fools

so was consensus that earth was the center of universe

back in the days of galileo...

only one that think its a fact is john cook & Co,

here, join them online and see if you can add some spin on cc

http://www.hi-izuru.org/forum/The Consensus Project/2012-02-27-Official TCP Guidelines (all discussion of grey areas, disputed papers, clarifications goes here).html

7 hours ago, bendejo said:

Yes, she did an excellent job and gave climate change again the attention it deserves. Worldwide discussion, in some places action, and even here already 140+ pages of discussion.

We'll get there, just hope it will not be too late.

Archived