Thailand proposes 'big bike' licenses and special bike lanes to help tackle motorcycle death toll

webfact

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Different licenses for bigger bikes is all very well, as are dedicated bike lanes, the problem though comes back to the fact that many people simply don't have a license at all, a large number don't wear a helmet and they go wherever they please, including the wrong way down one way streets. Rider education and implementation of existing laws will do a whole lot more than making people with big bikes get a different license.

Im member of a FB group and I watch videos of accidents in Thailand every day. I have never seen a single accident where the motorbike was driving the wrong way.

Usually when motorbikes are involved in accidents it's because they are speeding when a car pulls out in front of them.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Deli said:

Keep on blaming a minority, the big bikers. Rather start with taxi, buses, mini vans and Somachai who's blind and deaf in his truck without plates and brakes.

They're not blaming big bikers..... They trying to stop 'non-bikers' getting on big bikes in addition to non-licensed tourists getting on bikes at all.

I agree with you, deal with all aspects and issues, start with adequate enforcement... not the dumb 100B or 200B on the spot tea money which does nothing and lets everyone continue on their way taking their chances. 

The other newspaper which can't be mentioned is running a similar article but also quotes 'lane splitting ban's' for big bikes - which would potentially be a nightmare. 

Of course, all of the suggestions seem completely unenforceable. Imagine telling Somchai who rides down the pavement that he can't ride in the big-bike lanes, besides, there's not enough space as there is. 

Allow big bikes on the express ways (600cc+). 

Remove slow carts from the streets.

Encourage courteous driving (not blocking box junctions etc).

Penalise dangerous riding & driving / running lights etc more severely.

Stamp out DUI with strong campaigns and firm and unwavering penalisation.

Ensure anyone on the road has full insurance. 

2 hours ago, kevc said:

Last week in our village two 15year old girls were killed run over by a truck no crash helmets and underage riders it was a crying shame. I love how they come out with all these laws and can't even enforce the most basic of all when it's in their faces everyday, no helmet no riding.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Parents to blame in this case.

Sounds good in principle.

The thing niggling me though is the one scooter accident I've had to date was a car pulling out just a second or two before making contact.  I did a 'superman' over the handlebars as it's stopped me dead in my tracks.  Hate to think what would have happened if I wasn't wearing a helmet.  It was outside a police box and they saw the whole thing and their insurance paid, but would have been much better not to have had the event.  I've had enough of adding to my permanent scar collection.

1 hour ago, brain150 said:

I find it quite funny how most people are brainwashed enough to believe that wearing a helmet would solve any problem. Government brainwashing on the highest level - obviously !

Helmets don't avoid accidents ! They don't make the traffic safer ! And they don't make anybody a better rider !

[and the nonsense they call "helmets" in this country is just a bad joke !!!]

Make people responsible for their actions - that's the only way to solve the problem !!!

This whole BS about "not wearing a helmet" is simply ridiculous !!!

Most Helmets will do nothing in case of a real accident ... not even the real good ones !

Learn how to ride a bike and be responsible ... old fashioned but works. 

yea, the foam lined tupperwear bowls with straps aren't quite legit helmets. Better than knocking your bare head on cement, but not that great. Back 100yr ago in the ussa I rode 'big bikes' for 20 yrs without a "mcy" license. Just a car license. There is NOTHING, ZERO that a little plastic card that had the word motorcycle printed on it would have done for my riding ability. Here, they are but an excuse for police checkpoints to issue fines.

Driver's attitudes are a big factor in accidents. Young and invincible? Never happen to me? They'll watch out for me? Think I'm the most important person on the road? Soft blue neon lights are cool. There are just too many people driving like a**hole* who are more self important than anyone else.

Have said before, I think police obviously know all this stuff and are left with the opinion that if the idiots want to kill themselves, let them.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

All is very well but you can't put limits or curb people's stupidity and carelessness... and that goes for every kind of motorised mode of transport out there...

Yeah fantastic. I look forward to getting stopped more than i do now. He at handed law ‘enforcement’ won’t get anywhere until people are educated. How about they start educating at young age in schools?

It constantly  amazes  me the lack of respect for the road rules and that the police don't seem to want to enforce it, (cars and bikes alike.) I do ride motorcycle here (Honda Rebel 500cc) and every day I see a large number of Thai riders and bike taxis travelling the wrong way, riders with no helmets or 3-5 ppl crammed on a bike plus a dog sometimes at the front, wearing shorts, a singlet and thongs for shoes aint going to cut it as riding apparel. It's certainly an accident waiting to happen. Every month I've seen motor bike crashes or dropped motorcycles. It's usually a smaller bike riden recklessly or driving like idiots using cars as a slalom course as they cut in and out of traffic at high speed or race one another ..Certainly high powered bikes can be an issue if ridden by the inexperienced (as we saw with a 13 year-old whose parents let him have a 1100 cc bike and he crashed it. )  And yes a novice rider should be restricted to a smaller bike, but educate the locals first (even at school level) and enforce the road rules make it a safe environment for everyone using the road. Unfortunately, this is wishful thinking.. 

5 hours ago, z42 said:

They are over simplifying. Drastically increase the monetary penalties. Although as its the same RTP patrols as now actually enforcing it, what makes anyone think they'll jettison their finely honed schemes they have going on

Exactly. And this means removing the responsibility to determine guilt and assess penalties from the police. Cops should write tickets which refer the motorist to traffic court.

1 minute ago, Crusader said:

I remember a few years ago, they put a special 'cycle lane' along Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok - right in the middle of the footpath.

yeah! really productive... when one's recumbent trike is 1.07Metres wide! 

2 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

Close the stable door will you, the horse bolted a while ago but we can't have the stables looking messy old boy!

This is a perfect example of Ready, Fire, Aim. There is a population of motorbike riders of which 'big bikes' represent a small percentage. Bad habits are set at 15 years old when they start riding to school. The majority of fatalities are in the 15 to 24 year old range. Requiring them to have a special license for when/if they graduate to a larger bike will not address the group that is most at risk.

This problem is solved by education and given the victims are mostly all riding to school it might seem logical to start training them while at school. Is that too hard to grasp?

You pretty much nailed it for me with that post ....................:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Vietnam came up with a very effective law. Ride without a helmet, they confiscate the bike, plus major fine. Within a year, EVERYONE was wearing helmets. But then, they have a real police force as well. 

Perhaps you forgot that Vietnam is a one party communist state- might just have something to do with it? 

6 hours ago, seajae said:

maybe if they made all bike riders have a licence it would help. Just look at all the under age riders on the streets that clown around at all hours of the day and night and their parents dont give a stuff or try to stop them. Problem is thai police are too lazy to get out on the streets and do their job, how in the hell can they lower the road death toll when the police are never out patrolling the roads or pulling over drivers/riders. They want to stop deaths then they have to enforce the current road laws instead of letting everyone do as they please, seizing bikes would also help, again they need to get the police out of their air conditioned offices to do it and not simply make it a huge tea money collection 

Spot on !  I replied to a similar one a day or two ago. Up here bikes are racing around some nights and I don't know how the BiB get any sleep through the noise !

It's not just Thais. I've plenty of Farangs. Not wearing helmets and probably don't even a licence. I've seen drunk Farangs on motorcycles riding around and they don't give a damm. Stop bashing Thais. There's far too many Trolls on this forum. Most probably don't even live in. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The other newspaper which can't be mentioned is running a similar article but also quotes 'lane splitting ban's' for big bikes - which would potentially be a nightmare. 

Of course, all of the suggestions seem completely unenforceable. Imagine telling Somchai who rides down the pavement that he can't ride in the big-bike lanes, besides, there's not enough space as there is. 

Allow big bikes on the express ways (600cc+). 

Remove slow carts from the streets.

Encourage courteous driving (not blocking box junctions etc).

Penalise dangerous riding & driving / running lights etc more severely.

Stamp out DUI with strong campaigns and firm and unwavering penalisation.

Ensure anyone on the road has full insurance. 

Remove slow carts .............what about those noisy blasted things where you cant hear yourself speak as they come along at 10kph trying to get you to buy blinds etc ! GRRR !

Archived