Thailand proposes 'big bike' licenses and special bike lanes to help tackle motorcycle death toll

webfact

On 9/25/2019 at 7:03 PM, finnomick1 said:

Just go to any school in Thailand either in the morning or late afternoon and watch dozens if not hundreds of school children riding bikes with no helmets, no license, no insurance and three or more on a bike often assisted by traffic police. It starts at school and carries on into adult life. I berated my sister in law only this morning for buying her son / our nephew a Honda Cub so he could ride to and from his new school when he gets to 12 next year.  

Good man, I'm sure you offered to drive him to school every morning, and pick him up every afternoon too.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Galactus said:

here 99 percent of motorbike accident are from small bikes below 150 cc!

Really? Where does that figure come from?

Your analogy of health and safety at home is interesting, but you ignore building regs that insist on non slip tikes and illegalise sharp corners and edges in bathrooms....or government campaigns to restrict practices that increase the risk of heart attacks i.e. obesity and smoking .

So the norm is for governments to regulate.

However if you read my posts properly, you will see that i argue that the Thai authorities are taking ineffective measures and like you making assumptions with any concrete evidence to back 'em up.

Do NOT cater to foolish drivers.  Do not spend one baht on widening lanes or making special bike lanes.  Let the fools kill themselves and hopefully not take innocents with them.  The country should be a little responsible and actually demand a proper simple driver license exam and road test as many countries have.   After that, leave it up to Darwin.

13 hours ago, Broken Record said:

Good man, I'm sure you offered to drive him to school every morning, and pick him up every afternoon too.

Not fair to pass the buck.  The country, province, city, has the social responsibility to provide reasonably safe transport to school.  If the kids are less than one or two miles from the school, then they should walk.  If more than two miles from school, then some decent transportation should be available.  That is how it was where I grew up in my small town in the USA.  Many kids walked to school.  Others took the school bus.  Doesn't need to be fancy, just safe.  Even the back of pickup trucks can be safe if it is rural roads, speed only about 20 miles per hour, etc.  Not perfect, but better than kids on motor bikes.  Of course this presumes that the Thais would make the buses safe, inspect the brakes properly, have reasonably skilled bus drivers, etc.

Archived