Major Thai stores to stop giving out plastic bags by 2020 - minister

webfact

12 hours ago, tropo said:

I'm with you on this. Much of my grocery shopping is unplanned and spur of the moment. For example, I'm at Terminal 21 or Central and decide I want to buy some groceries. These unplanned excursions into the grocery store can lead to several thousand baht I need to take home on the motorcycle.  

Put a disposable plastic bag in the motorbike storage space ?

Oh for goodness sake.  Many countries worldwide have already banned single use plastic bags, (several in Africa).  These countries are managing fine and their environment has improved (see Rwanda who banned plastic bags years ago).  

"It wasn't the first national bag ban -- Bangladesh passed one in 2002 -- but Rwanda's law has serious teeth. It prohibits the manufacture, use, importation and sale of the bags."

Many posters on this forum consider themselves superior but are proving themselves to be quite stupid on this thread.

What on earth did people do before plastic.  Our parents managed okay without plastic.

What is wrong with us???!!!

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 11:45 AM, sanemax said:

Put a disposable plastic bag in the motorbike storage space ?

Do you mean garbage bags? They won't do the job. I will hoard (shopping) plastic bags and use them until they are ancient relics. There is no useful replacement for how I carry my shopping at this stage. Cloth bags won't work either.  

Do you mean garbage bags? They won't do the job. I will hoard (shopping) plastic bags and use them until they are ancient relics. There is no useful replacement for how I carry my shopping at this stage. Cloth bags won't work either.  

I did mean "reusable " bags .

Why can you not carry your groceries in cloth bags ?

How can a bag "not work " ? 

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I did mean "reusable " bags .

Why can you not carry your groceries in cloth bags ?

How can a bag "not work " ? 

I can't hook 5 - 10 of them on the motorcycle small (but standard) hooks under the seat. Obviously you have little experience with carrying a shopping trolley full of groceries home on a motorcycle, but I've been doing this for 14 years here. Hey, I've got an idea... I'll buy a car to make shopping easier. That will do the environment a big favour.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:00 PM, HHTel said:

Oh for goodness sake.  Many countries worldwide have already banned single use plastic bags, (several in Africa).  These countries are managing fine and their environment has improved (see Rwanda who banned plastic bags years ago).  

"It wasn't the first national bag ban -- Bangladesh passed one in 2002 -- but Rwanda's law has serious teeth. It prohibits the manufacture, use, importation and sale of the bags."

Many posters on this forum consider themselves superior but are proving themselves to be quite stupid on this thread.

What on earth did people do before plastic.  Our parents managed okay without plastic.

What is wrong with us???!!!

Let's see how long it lasts. A lot of retailers will lose money over this madness. A lot of shopping is spur of the moment and people don't walk around with reusable bags.

• Haha 1

I can't hook 5 - 10 of them on the motorcycle small (but standard) hooks under the seat. Obviously you have little experience with carrying a shopping trolley full of groceries home on a motorcycle, but I've been doing this for 14 years here. Hey, I've got an idea... I'll buy a car to make shopping easier. That will do the environment a big favour.

Why cant you hook 5-10 reusable bags to your motorbike ?

Reusable bags are very similar to disposable bags 

48 minutes ago, tropo said:

Let's see how long it lasts. A lot of retailers will lose money over this madness. A lot of shopping is spur of the moment and people don't walk around with reusable bags.

I'll just repeat what I've already said.  Why is Thailand so different from other countries where plastic bans/restrictions work just fine.  

Thais, in general, consider themselves better than Africans.  However, they have managed where, apparently, the Thais can't!!

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 7:02 PM, sanemax said:

Its a bit silly to storm out a shop, just because they wont give you a plastic bag . And also to get revenge , by leaving all your goods on the conveyor belt 

What's the alternative? At least when Rimping pulled a surprise 'plastic bag free' day, they provided cardboard boxes at the checkout stands. This might have been after several walk aways prompted it.... Anyway, in the future, I'll note if a bag free day is in effect -- then grab a small roll of black plastic bags as my first purchase. Eventually, these black bags will end up on the street for trash pickup -- and will hold smaller orange Rimping shopping bags, which have served double purpose as small trash can liners around the house (in lieu of dedicated plastic trash can liners). It all ends in the land fill (hopefully). So, I'm not sure why my orange Rimping bags are part of an environmental problem? Is there a Swedish teen aged activist proclaiming such?

No, the real problem in Thailand are all those small plastic bags holding street vendor food. And then Thai mentality about mai pen rai when it comes to disposing of these bags. Street shoulders and klongs are filled with them. Maybe a lot more trash cans, plus education, could help reduce all this garbage (and, yes, a little more diligence about where to put your black garbage bag for advertised pickup).

Anyway, fat chance I'm ever going to carry an armload of cloth bags around the mall while shopping, for their eventual use at my last stop, with a long list, at the grocery store. No, I don't see myself as part of the problem -- as long as those black trash bags are being disposed of properly by the Thai waste management folks (an open question....).

this is a non issue. if the store provides carts and you have a car, motorbike, or bicycle you hand load every item into your method of transport. if you walk, well you will have to go to the store everyday and only buy what you need to carry home with some kind of hand bag. heavy items delivery can be arranged. this is how it was done in the 1800's and nobody had issues. 

Edited by at15