Dual Language Books

davidm3440

Hi, does anyone know of any books which have both thai and english in the same volume ?

I currently have two and would like to find others, any topic or subject is OK as the point is to become literate (?) in reading thai.

The 2 books I currently have are :

Thailand Fever by Chris Pirazzi and Vitida Vasant , published by Paiboon Poomsan Publishing

and

Fascinating Folktales of Thailand by Thanapol Chadchaidee, published by D.K. Today Co

Both are available at Bookazine

Thanks for any help :o

Hi, does anyone know of any books which have both Thai and English in the same volume ?

I currently have two and would like to find others, any topic or subject is OK as the point is to become literate (?) in reading Thai.

The 2 books I currently have are :

Thailand Fever by Chris Piazza and Vida Vacant , published by Baboon Parmesan Publishing

and

Fascinating Folktales of Thailand by Ethanol Chickadee, published by D.K. Today Co

Both are available at Booking

Thanks for any help :roll eyes:

You have already got both the volumes I would have suggested. There are a couple of Thai/English children's books - can't think of the link just now but if I can remember I will post a reply later. Be a little carefull with Thailand fever because it is not a LITERAL translation, there are differences between the two because of cultural and literary considerations. However they make good reading although I had to really struggle to read the Thai :o

The Thai inflight magazine is dual language.

There's a series of dual language books designed for Thai medical and other professions that have basic to more complex conversations that would be used in everyday business life. Depending on your needs they may help. I’ve found these books stocked in a lot of book shops.

Browse the book shops and you’ll find plenty to choose from.

I have a nice oversize softcover book about the Ramakien with pictures of selected frescoes from Wat Phra Kaeo .. every page has both a Thai and English description of the given painting. Attractive book, cost about B250, as I recall. Bought it at Se-Ed a couple years ago.

IDEA LANGUAGE is a monthly magazine , costing 20b , it takes short articles from western newspapers and magazines and prints them in english and on the facing page they are translated into thai.

the magazine is directed at improving english skills , but it works just as well the other way.

the articles are short ( 50 - 300 words ) and usually about entertainment , travel , nature etc. all pretty trivial , there is no heavyweight political or philosophical stuff.

i buy at a local bookshop that sells educational stuff.

you can contact the magazine at02-935-8125 to take out a subscription if you cant find it locally.

There is a small number of 'young adult' books published by Nation Egmont which provide useful contemporary Thai and English language stories.

These include Scooby-Doo (about 7 titles), Disasterous Dez (2 titles), The Chills (2 or more? titles), Captain Fact (2 or more? titles), Pickle Hill Primary (many titles) etc.

They are designed for Thai learners of English but for some reason can only be found in the Thai sections of many bookshops e.g. Central department stores and Se-ed bookshops etc. price generally less than 100 baht.

I think they are great for Thai language learners although the English I would think is a bit too colloquial for many Thai to comprehend completely.

Some of the stories are a bit naff though!

There are a number of Buddhist books with dual language. (english one page thai the next page).

Check out the buddhist bookshops in BKK - the one near wat mahatat and near wat bovoriwet.

The one I have in mind is called something like

"consitution for life" or

"a guide for living"

its good because it has simple sentences and point form phrases with accurate translations.

regards, grover.

Edited by Grover

If what one needs is to be able to listen to Thai and make out the words, the solution came arrived a few years back with the proliferation of music videos thich have the English (romanised) words highlighted as each sound of the words of the lyrics is sung.

So there you are....watch some Thai karaoke videos ....and read the sounds in English /Roman script !

It helped me no end to make out what Thais are saying !!