Piggy Back Visa For Mom

Kind of a straight forward question so mods can close when sufficient answer(s) received. I stay in Thailand on extensions based on marriage to a Thai. My mom in the states is currently caring for my step-dad who is dying. When he is gone she will be alone. Can she come here and stay as my and my wife's dependant instead of ponying up all the cash and other documents needed for a retirement visa?

She would live in our home as do my wife's parents so all her information would basically be the same as mine. If so, would it change the financial requirements for me to continue to get extensions?

Thanks in advance. :wai:

For an extension of stay based upon marriage there is no allowance for a parent to get an extension.

The police order only allows an extension for children.  From clause 2.18 of the police order.

"(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse's children, said children, adopted children, or spouse's children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother:"

For an extension based upon retirement and others under clause 2.20 of the police order that is for family member to get extensions it is allowed. "(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For an extension of stay based upon marriage there is no allowance for a parent to get an extension.

The police order only allows an extension for children.  From clause 2.18 of the police order.

"(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse's children, said children, adopted children, or spouse's children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother:"

For an extension based upon retirement and others under clause 2.20 of the police order that is for family member to get extensions it is allowed. "(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

So if I changed my non-O based on marriage to a non-O based on retirement she could be considered as my dependant?

2 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

So if I changed my non-O based on marriage to a non-O based on retirement she could be considered as my dependant?

Yes

She would then would qualify for an extension of stay for being a member of your family.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I accept what you say.

However, a friend of mine piggybacks on her son: he was married to a Thai, has 2 adult kids. 

At first both his parents piggybacked, now it is just his mother. She has been here for 12 years.

May be rules changed?