Baht speculation on downtrend, says central bank governor

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, Teee said:

How can expats afford to live there and have a nice comfortable life if they are retired?

Easily if you dont want to eat imported foods all the time.

Just had a guy come around my house re rendering the back of my house, 10,000 baht and 4 days work. You'd be lucky to get 2 days labour  for 1 guy, no materials in the UK to do that.

18 minutes ago, Teee said:

????????????????

OMG....Wyndham Merlot i buy in UK £5.99

Maybe 180bht....why on earth you want to pay 600bht. As in my prev comments on various forums. Thailand esp Bangkok soooo expensive.

Yes, good point, but compared to a year ago it's at least a little less unreasonable.  Tax rule changes in 2017 resulted in a big price spike.  

Bangkok is probably not a destination of choice for retirees on a fixed income these days.

6 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

Yes, good point, but compared to a year ago it's at least a little less unreasonable.  Tax rule changes in 2017 resulted in a big price spike.  

Bangkok is probably not a destination of choice for retirees on a fixed income these days.

well why not if that fixed income is 5k a month or more ... before cheap beer...nice ladys...friendly guesthouses all for an apple and an egg ( for farangs but for locals it always was expensive ) well new world leaders...new thai government new legislation ( good = rich best asian in...bad equals white smelly guys out )...

now LOS go upmarket a hotel 3000 bhat plus etc etc etc

to enforce the new strategy many possibilitys...example: charge the one year pensioners a 1000 usd a month for the visa and demand 5 mill in a bank..choose your retirement location Tokio...Dubai...Singapore or Bangkok but only for big spenders

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, friend of siam said:

well why not if that fixed income is 5k a month or more ... before cheap beer...nice ladys...friendly guesthouses all for an apple and an egg ( for farangs but for locals it always was expensive ) well new world leaders...new thai government new legislation ( good = rich best asian in...bad equals white smelly guys out )...

now LOS go upmarket a hotel 3000 bhat plus etc etc etc

to enforce the new strategy many possibilitys...example: charge the one year pensioners a 1000 usd a month for the visa and demand 5 mill in a bank..choose your retirement location Tokio...Dubai...Singapore or Bangkok but only for big spenders

5k in what currency? 

If i had £5k a month fixed income i def would not be living in Thailand.

Many many places in the world better than Thailand to spend your money.

£5k a month is alot...and too be honest if thats the fixed income amount why go cheap beers and cheap whores?

• Like 1

Of course its best to have an introduction.  But if you have a Thai bank account (essential so to collect dividends) then its rather straight forward. Just go to a Thai broker and tell them you want to invest in the SET and open a new account.  Don't let anybody tell you you need a workpermit for that as retired people invest here easily.  Investing here in SET stocks just about by definition does not require a work permit, but perhaps a longer then just tourist visa, as you should have an address.  Once the Thai broker account is open (usually takes a week) its imperative to be very carefull what you invest in as the marketing officer (broker) is likely not qualified as a wealth creator with deep experience...and interested in commissions more then saving you from loosing money.

On 10/2/2019 at 4:21 AM, sungod said:

Easily if you dont want to eat imported foods all the time.

Just had a guy come around my house re rendering the back of my house, 10,000 baht and 4 days work. You'd be lucky to get 2 days labour  for 1 guy, no materials in the UK to do that.

It's not the UK it's Thailand and in Thailand 4 x days work for 10,000baht he defiantly saw you coming {500~1,000baht per day} No one on here is saying labor in Thailand is expensive. I built a bungalow with teak front doors and teeam hard wood windows & doors, foundation for a 2 storey house. I project managed so no cheap <deleted> used 110 Square metre bungalow 750,000baht I was about to build a beautiful extention 70sm labour 70 Square metres labor was 30,000baht so working on the 1/3 equation and my costings would have costed under 100k (sorry a bit miss leading as part was already built 40 sq M was ready garage) . Its the cost of living that is expensive not building a house. 

Edited by Scot123
Was a little miss leading
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 11:27 AM, friend of siam said:

a high bhat is good for thailand it sweeps out all the cheap charlies

What a nasty and bitter thing to say. You must be a hoot at parties. Unbelievable "Cheap Charlies" you must be one of these multi millionaires who are moving to retire in Thailand? So I am a Cheap Charlie because my family and I left Thailand to live back in the UK? Well I suppose only brining in over 16,000,000bahts woth of foreign currency over the years and spending it on cars big bikes and a good life make me and my family Cheap Charlies. It makes me sick the nasty twisted self hating comments on here. The reason we left or set the spark was in October on checking the new immigration rules before work started on our extention was the flippen remark "It's only 800,000baht" by the immigration officer. Oh and 6 police cars turning up at my house full of police to check my visa status details. We still have a house and big bike in Thailand. But live there again never. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Scot123 said:

It's not the UK it's Thailand and in Thailand 4 x days work for 10,000baht he defiantly saw you coming {500~1,000baht per day} No one on here is saying labor in Thailand is expensive. I built a bungalow with teak front doors and teeam hard wood windows & doors, foundation for a 2 storey house. I project managed so no cheap <deleted> used 110 Square metre bungalow 750,000baht I was about to build a beautiful extention 70sm labour 70 Square metres labor was 30,000baht so working on the 1/3 equation and my costings would have costed under 100k (sorry a bit miss leading as part was already built 40 sq M was ready garage) . Its the cost of living that is expensive not building a house. 

Maintenance on an existing house is cost of living, (unless of course in your finances you maintain a capital budget) . Besides 10,000 was a bargain if you see the size of the back of my house. 4 days, materials including quality paint.How much would that cost in the UK?

On 9/30/2019 at 1:49 PM, Chelseafan said:

Kasikorn Research Centre reported that the baht weakened to Bt 30.64 per dollar on Friday (September 27) from Bt30.46 on the previous Friday(September 20). It moves around Bt30.60 per dollar today.

It weakened 0.18 baht in a week, hardly a sign that the flows are receding. That sort of adjustment can be down to anything. Let's wait 6 months before we see if it's worked.

So 1 week later...

image.png.c6c9c146f49130e90d601bb4137d7294.png

On 9/30/2019 at 8:50 PM, SteveK said:

Well if it moves in the right direction by only a few satang a day for a few months, then we'll be in a much happier place. So will Thailand's tourism and exports.

Tourists don't look at the exchange rate of their currency in deciding whether to come to Thailand.They have so much money to spend and thats it. They have their return ticket paid for and thats it.