Is there any Visa for Dependent Expat Father ?

I am the Father of two Thai Boys who are grown now.

I have been using Retirement visa extensions for the past 12 years,

and although I will receive my Military and SS pensions for life,

I want to know if there are any provisions (Visa) for Thai Children to take care of their Expat Father ?

As I am 74 now, in a wheelchair and it is getting harder for me to do all the running around needed for extensions.

Can my sons take care of me ?

There is a line in clause 2.18 of for extension based upon being a member of a Thai.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year.
In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

You would still need to apply for the extensions but you could give them permission to do most everything for you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is a line in clause 2.18 of for extension based upon being a member of a Thai.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year.
In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

You would still need to apply for the extensions but you could give them permission to do most everything for you.

Can you please provide link to the page for this information.

I have not been able to find it. Thanks for your kind help.

2 hours ago, WhatupThailand said:

I am the Father of two Thai Boys who are grown now.

I have been using Retirement visa extensions for the past 12 years,

and although I will receive my Military and SS pensions for life,

I want to know if there are any provisions (Visa) for Thai Children to take care of their Expat Father ?

As I am 74 now, in a wheelchair and it is getting harder for me to do all the running around needed for extensions.

Can my sons take care of me ?

Yes it is possible, but it wouldn't solve your "running around" problem. Whatever basis you apply for the extension will require you to visit immigration unless you are incapacitated.

Applying under maintenance of your children would require less paperwork, but immigration would probably need them to provide evidence that they have income/money to support you. If you have a pension over 40K pm it doesn't seem necessary to apply on that basis, and I don't know how immigration would view it.

If your pension is less than 65K pm you could apply as a parent of a Thai. You would need transfer at least 40K pm month to Thailand every month, or simply make sure you have 400K in the bank on the day you apply for the parent based extension.

Edited by elviajero

I have a Power of Attorney done for my son at the US Consulate in English, 

can I use this for permission to allow my son to apply for extension for me ?

Do I need to have this translated to Thai, in order to use it ?

OR

does immigration have a form to allow my son to apply for extension for me ?

12 minutes ago, WhatupThailand said:

I have a Power of Attorney done for my son at the US Consulate in English, 

can I use this for permission to allow my son to apply for extension for me ?

Do I need to have this translated to Thai, in order to use it ?

OR does immigration have a form to allow my son to apply for extension for me ?

It's possible for someone to make an application on your behalf; but I've only known it when the foreigner is incapacitated and a Doctor has confirmed the applicant can't travel. I have heard of a few cases in the past where the local office have visited the foreigner at home to complete the application, but that would be entirely down to the grace of that office.

Edited by elviajero