Whats the best family beach in mainland Phuket with a clean beach & clear water for swimming?

zeekgarcia

Overall, Kamala beach is probably the best of the main Phuket beaches on a year round basis.

Kamala beach is relatively clean, and it is gently sloping, unlike allot of other beaches that have relatively dangerous steep drop-offs and rip currents, 

Lots of thai/international restaurants and hotels conveniently located along the Kamala beach boardwalk as well.

Kamala beach is also a short 15 minute drive to Patong in case you want to visit there for a day/night out.

Kamela beach is nice. From there you can also take a boat (5 minutes) to Laem Sing beach, which is really wonderful.

I was in Patong some months ago. The sea was very dirty. You cannot not swim there. There is too much plastic waste in the sea.

I don't understand why the difference between these 2 beaches is so big. They are not so far away from each other.

a few years ago I had no issues with Karon beach.  Love being able to turn around and look up and see the top half of the white giant buddha.  Quite serene and almost surrealistic.  Lately I saw this year some reports of black waste water and what not and if you walk up the road a way you do see some suspicious looking moats and drainage stuff.

13 hours ago, dimitriv said:

The webcam doesn't show the waste in the water...

What waste? Hard to show something that's not there.

Here's a screenshot taken at low tide this morning, no debris on the beach nor any outflow from canals or whatever. Clean beach and water. 

karen.JPG

A little tip, few locals swim at the one beach of which you seem to have experience. Patong is a large tourist town, situated in a deep bay, that corrupt officials allowed to  develop without sufficient infrastructure for things such as correct waste disposal.

The first link I gave shows there are about 20 other, better beaches on the west coast where non tourists swim.

Who are ur referring to as Non Tourists,( expats living here?) ? Most expat locals that live here i think seldom, if ever go swimming,( most of my Farang friends haven't been to a beach in ages)  and as far as locals other than thai surfers i seldom see ANY THAI over the age of 5 in the water, much less swimming...

36 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Who are ur referring to as Non Tourists,( expats living here?) ? Most expat locals that live here i think seldom, if ever go swimming,( most of my Farang friends haven't been to a beach in ages)  and as far as locals other than thai surfers i seldom see ANY THAI over the age of 5 in the water, much less swimming...

I go to the beach almost daily and I know a lot of expats that also do the same.  

I try to go to the beach three to four times a week when I'm in country.

I normally go to kamala (live there) or to Layan Beach (North end in the provincial park)

I note that there are often groups (families?) of thais that use this end of the beach especially on buddhist holidays.

I confess I go to layan partially for the beach and partially to enjoy one of Sylvia's great lunches at her restaurant ' in the park.

On 10/3/2019 at 9:14 AM, phuketrichard said:

There's always Thais of all ages and expats swimming at Nai Harn.

I've always been partial to Kata beach. Even though I lived 3 minutes from Patong beach, we always went to Kata for beach days. The beach and water are clean, plenty of places for motorbike and car parking on the beach road, and several inexpensive restaurants right on the beach at the southern end.

6 hours ago, DrDave said:

I've always been partial to Kata beach. Even though I lived 3 minutes from Patong beach, we always went to Kata for beach days. The beach and water are clean, plenty of places for motorbike and car parking on the beach road, and several inexpensive restaurants right on the beach at the southern end.

i really like kata, the only issue is getting there. Nai harn is an easier drive.

The cheap restaurants at the southern end of kata are really fun to have.

If you are going to Kata beach, avoid the north end as a big klong flows out to sea at that end.  Many tourists entering the north end of Kata beach walk pass this klong but somehow never question where the dirty water is flowing out into the sea.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if it counts as a family beach, but Freedom Beach on the west coast is absolutely lovely for an excursion at the weekend! It's tranquil, clean, secluded and the water is crystal clear. I think it's only accessible by boat, but you can hire a boat from one of the local boat hire companies or a boat hire platform (we used Click&Boat the first time we visited Phuket and fell in love with the place). We paid an entrance fee, which we didn't expect, but it was worth it! 

8 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Very Expensive

What is expensive for you might be cheap for another person. Myself i would rather pay double if that guarantees me a relaxed safe holiday...What if a kid gets bitten by a rabies infested soidog? Or one drawns in the sea because there's no lifeguard? Or if one runs under a car? And so on....

When i was in Karon on honeymoon a Norwegian couple walked on the sidewalk with a stroller...their boy jumped out and run onto the road...i grabbed him and handed him to his dad who almost was in tears and very thankfull to me....they stayed in club med and were going straight back in....

39 minutes ago, Thian said:

What is expensive for you might be cheap for another person. Myself i would rather pay double if that guarantees me a relaxed safe holiday...What if a kid gets bitten by a rabies infested soidog? Or one drawns in the sea because there's no lifeguard? Or if one runs under a car? And so on....

When i was in Karon on honeymoon a Norwegian couple walked on the sidewalk with a stroller...their boy jumped out and run onto the road...i grabbed him and handed him to his dad who almost was in tears and very thankfull to me....they stayed in club med and were going straight back in....

You sound like the type of tourist thaksin was wanting....

1 hour ago, beechbum said:

You sound like the type of tourist thaksin was wanting....

I consider myself as a normal westerner and am proud of that. I also rescued a drawning thai father out of the sea on samui while all guys like you were watching me doing so.

5 hours ago, Thian said:

I consider myself as a normal westerner and am proud of that. I also rescued a drawning thai father out of the sea on samui while all guys like you were watching me doing so.

I've been living and surfing here for over 20 years and helped more out of the the ocean than I can remember DH.

Telling him he's much better of staying at CM and driddling <deleted> about being bitten and drowning, so you get to CM and lock Yourself in your room do you hero?

Archived