Suzuki Burgman 650

PattayaDavid

Considering purchasing a used Suzuki Burgman 650 and looking for some knowledgeable input from bikers with experience with this model.  Would this bike be a good match for combined city and highway driving in Thailand?  I looked at a new Burgman 650 at Big Bike Suzuki in Pattaya and found that it is a huge bike as far as scooters are concerned.  I've been recently keeping an eye out for a used Honda Forza 300 or Yamaha XMax 300, but haven't found one that i liked to date.  Size wise, the Honda and Yamaha would probably be more usable as an all around bike.  Suzuki told me that they will be offering the Burgman 400 in the near future; it was announced at the recent bike show in Bangkok, might be an alternative albeit expensive as a new bike purchase.

Are there local shops around Pattaya where a Burgman 650 can be serviced and repaired or must it be taken to Big Bike Suzuki for service?  Being a Japanese import, I suspect that both service and parts are very expensive, much more so than say Big Wing Honda.

Anyway, I would like to read your input and suggestions.

Thanks,

David

This one?

Now that is one real ugly scooter man, looks like something from a zombie movie, I would rather walk than be seen on one.

Okay, sorry only my opinion off-course.

According to different sites it's very comfortable and quite capable on the highways and you can store a lot of stuff under the seat. Doubt the Burgman is good for city riding, it's very heavy, 270kg dry! Way more if you compare to a 650cc real motorbike.

Apparently it comes with ABS and the windshield is power adjustable, riders backrest adjustable too. Hmm, it's sounds almost like a poor mans Goldwing, eh.

Since Suzuki big bike is selling them they will surely also service them, so you just ask them how much a service is?

image.png.950be57f6e333a89ca1a5bb23f99e7db.png

On 10/2/2019 at 1:11 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

This one?

Now that is one real ugly scooter man, looks like something from a zombie movie, I would rather walk than be seen on one.

Okay, sorry only my opinion off-course.

According to different sites it's very comfortable and quite capable on the highways and you can store a lot of stuff under the seat. Doubt the Burgman is good for city riding, it's very heavy, 270kg dry! Way more if you compare to a 650cc real motorbike.

Apparently it comes with ABS and the windshield is power adjustable, riders backrest adjustable too. Hmm, it's sounds almost like a poor mans Goldwing, eh.

Since Suzuki big bike is selling them they will surely also service them, so you just ask them how much a service is?

image.png.950be57f6e333a89ca1a5bb23f99e7db.png

How do you pop the hood?

Just too big if you ask me, perfect for highway, then again I have old model Honda Forza and I'm happy on inner city roads, does 138km/h max, but comfortable 110km/h, more than enough for Thailand,  unless you are really heavy or two big persons...

In fact I found it easy going through traffic in town with mine, of course it's not a Click,  but it's okay. Now with this big beast, no idea...! 

Forza is manufactured in Thailand,  so every Honda shop or corner shop can help with any repair... I highly recommend it against a Burgman...

Some very good points made here, some of which I have already considered.  I haven't done a test ride yet, supposed to do that in the next few days, but wanted to get some opinions from other bikers beforehand.  I too, may find it to be too big and heavy, never seen one in person, but like the idea of having the extra power available from the 638cc parallel twin engine.  I guess it is kind of a turnaround for me.  I had given up my big bikes some time ago and currently riding a Honda CBR150, but looking to move away from the hunched over riding position and the constant shifting between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear to keep the engine in the power band while maneuvering through Pattaya traffic.  Now, here I am thinking about more power once again (lol).  I've never owned a scooter, but feel that it is more comfortable and practical in my current riding environment, but I want to get something a little bigger and with more power than the standard scooters that I see running around.  The 300 to 400 cc models seem to be the sweet spot.

I have been following sales ads for both the X-Max and Forza's, even the older models, but haven't come across one that has aroused my interest as yet.  I was leaning towards the X-Max over the Forza, but after sitting on the X-Max, I was surprised by the seat height being much higher than the old Forza's which has a lower seat and sits more comfortable.  I haven't seen the new Forza in person yet.

Once I see this Burgman, I may go wow, this thing is huge and overweight and move on to something more practical, but like I said, it was my goal here to gain some valuable insight from knowledgeable bikers such as yourselves.

Thanks

These maxi scooters are a lot fun, I'm currently riding my Chinese CG150 bike in another country, but I really miss my Forza,  really comfortable ride and seating position, twist and go, plus good power, you won't regret moving to maxi scooters, specially if decades are mounting up... ! lol ????

12 hours ago, canthai55 said:

So ... you are thinking of buying a bike you have never seen, never sat on, never rode ...

Based on the experiences of others ...

This gotta turn out well

No, I'm just soliciting opinions of this bike before taking a look at it, what's wrong with that?  I'm not buying the thing sight unseen; I'm looking to check it out, may like it, may not, but it never hurts to be loaded with as much knowledge as possible ahead of time.  I have read most of the reviews on the internet and watched numerous YouTube videos, but what I was looking for on this forum was some first hand knowledge and opinion of this bike although first hand knowledge appears to be non-existent, hey, took a chance.

Archived