Trip Up The Mae Nam Kok

almarg3088

Hi,

I am heading for chiang Rai in June and want to know if a long tailed boat trip on the Mae Nam Kok is worth the effort.

The map I have of the area shows nothing on the river from Tha Ton to Chiang Rai and I am reconsidering whether this trip would be worthwhile as we are looking for typical Thai scenery.

Any advice please

oh no, its lovely there. i have done that trip a few times. you pass hot springs, hilltribe villages, suspension bridges....its lovely. its a bit hard on the bum though, so take a comfy something to sit on (although the boat does have thin cushions).

oh no, its lovely there. i have done that trip a few times. you pass hot springs, hilltribe villages, suspension bridges....its lovely. its a bit hard on the bum though, so take a comfy something to sit on (although the boat does have thin cushions).

Thanks for the advise and we will take a cushion.

It's well worth the trip and especially if you work out a deal to hire the boat just for yourself and your friends. That way you are not held to a set schedule and if you want to spend more time somewhere it does not create a problem, we just bought the driver beer and he was happy to wait around for us. BTW:- my Avatar was taken on the Kok.

when i first came to thailand i did the 4 hour trip and loved it.

its just what you said- typical thai scenery. real thai upcountry life.

the bum issue, and the boat is a bit noisy, but its still well worth it.

when i went back to the states, the images i saw on the boat ride were well stuck in my head.

and i believe part of the reason i moved here full time.

Hi,

I am heading for chiang Rai in June and want to know if a long tailed boat trip on the Mae Nam Kok is worth the effort.

The map I have of the area shows nothing on the river from Tha Ton to Chiang Rai and I am reconsidering whether this trip would be worthwhile as we are looking for typical Thai scenery.

Any advice please

It's greta go from taton to Chiangrai, the trip will take several hours but it is worth the pain in the ass.