Asking for tips on being environmental on a low budget

Cristiancjb

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Actually no. The ones with lots of cash will starve like all the rest- can't eat money, which will be worthless when it really hits the fan.

My life has prepared me to survive, but sadly I'm too old to do so now, so I'll be starving too.

For a group that will survive, look no further than the Mormons. Their faith requires them to store a year's worth of food, water etc. However, they will only survive if they have sufficient weapons to drive away the marauders, and if they have the will to use them.

Think it can't happen? Think about what would happen if trucks couldn't bring food into a big city like London or NY. No one grows food in the city anymore, and how many days supply are in supermarkets? If the stoppage happened for a month or more= no food for love nor money.

When I was a kid there were no super markets, we had designated shops providing our basics, mum & dad grew all our fruit veg and spuds. I recall all our neighbours did too. That kind of thing is near all gone, folk are programmed to go to the super market, so they will be able to sit on the sofa longer.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, transam said:

When I was a kid there were no super markets, we had designated shops providing our basics, mum & dad grew all our fruit veg and spuds. I recall all our neighbours did too. That kind of thing is near all gone, folk are programmed to go to the super market, so they will be able to sit on the sofa longer.

Same here. I used to get sent to the grocers for bread, which wasn't sliced, and wasn't in a plastic bag. Ate the center out of it while WALKING back. 

It's no wonder people are so obese now. Don't do anything physical anymore. Gardening is great- good exercise and can eat the proceeds.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:46 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

No one is denying that climate changes as it always has and always will. They stopped calling it global warming when the globe didn't get hotter, but they should have thought of some other term to describe man made climate change.

Anyway, so what? Nothing is going to happen as the politicians don't believe it no matter what they say. None of them have stopped flying, and none ride a horse to work.

Which means that is up to us "common" people to do something, after all everything is about demand. If we consume more, more will be produced and more pressure on the planet. We have to start thinking a bit differently and remembering that we don't have infinite resources, the planet is not infinite and there is still quite some time until we can live in other planets. Simply, it's our home and I don't believe many want to destroy the place where they live

On 10/11/2019 at 11:49 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

It's ironic, but the people that will probably survive are the "nutters" that live in self sufficient communities and have lots of guns to kill the city dwellers looking to steal their food after it all goes bad.

That's why maybe it is important to start checking on options to become at least more self sufficient. 

13 hours ago, Cristiancjb said:

Which means that is up to us "common" people to do something, after all everything is about demand. If we consume more, more will be produced and more pressure on the planet. We have to start thinking a bit differently and remembering that we don't have infinite resources, the planet is not infinite and there is still quite some time until we can live in other planets. Simply, it's our home and I don't believe many want to destroy the place where they live

Every new person born will grow up to need a fridge, transport, food, health care etc etc etc. Multiply by the billions that will  be born in excess of present population to have an idea of the resources needed to support them all.

The ONLY answer is to reduce the population if we want to preserve our way of life.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Every new person born will grow up to need a fridge, transport, food, health care etc etc etc. Multiply by the billions that will  be born in excess of present population to have an idea of the resources needed to support them all.

The ONLY answer is to reduce the population if we want to preserve our way of life.

It's not the only answer, as you state. Maybe it's the one with biggest effect but if the current population consumed less, it would still make a change. And I'm not talking about having a fridge and such things, but if we didn't buy so many things that we don't really need and buy for our "short" happiness, and reduced the amount of meet consumption, if we reduced all that to at least a half, it would still make quite an impact. And there are more things to do. Human population is something we cannot do much about unless we do like China did before but that is still not something many humans are willing to do as individuals. Or we can hope for big ass wars that will half the population but still, I'm not sure it is a price many are willing to pay...

(What we actually need is an environmental global dictator :p)

On the occasions that you must drive a car or use private transportation, strive for “trip consolidation.”  

In other words, don’t head out for just one errand or a single destination.  

Delay using the car until you’ve got several stops to make and actually plan out your route beforehand.  And double-up with a friend if you can.

This seems like plain common sense nowadays, but I certainly remember just mindlessly heading out in the car for a single errand, etc., without a second thought “back in the day.”

Now, not so many years later, this seems almost unthinkable!

On 10/13/2019 at 2:09 PM, Cristiancjb said:

if the current population consumed less, it would still make a change. And I'm not talking about having a fridge and such things, but if we didn't buy so many things that we don't really need and buy for our "short" happiness, and reduced the amount of meet consumption, if we reduced all that to at least a half, it would still make quite an impact.

Vast numbers of people make stuff that people don't really need. Reducing demand would consign millions to abject poverty as their work disappeared.

Western females buying clothes to replace almost unworn clothes keeps millions in work around the world- growing the cotton, or making the synthetics to make the clothes, transporting the materials to the work shops, designing and cutting, sewing, packing ( + making the packaging and printing the labels ), transporting the finished clothing to the docks, loading the containers, crossing the ocean, unloading, transporting to the warehouse, selling to a shop, transporting to a shop, employing shop staff, employing cleaners, accountants, IRS staff. How many millions of people are employed because western women don't want to keep wearing the same clothes? Fashion! It's just a way of making the economy go around. Next time you are in town, look at how many shops there are selling clothes to women to replace clothing barely used. All completely un needed, but essential to employ people.

Reduce consumption, cast people into poverty. Reducing the population is the best way to limit excess exploitation and pollution.

On 10/16/2019 at 6:00 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Vast numbers of people make stuff that people don't really need. Reducing demand would consign millions to abject poverty as their work disappeared.

Western females buying clothes to replace almost unworn clothes keeps millions in work around the world- growing the cotton, or making the synthetics to make the clothes, transporting the materials to the work shops, designing and cutting, sewing, packing ( + making the packaging and printing the labels ), transporting the finished clothing to the docks, loading the containers, crossing the ocean, unloading, transporting to the warehouse, selling to a shop, transporting to a shop, employing shop staff, employing cleaners, accountants, IRS staff. How many millions of people are employed because western women don't want to keep wearing the same clothes? Fashion! It's just a way of making the economy go around. Next time you are in town, look at how many shops there are selling clothes to women to replace clothing barely used. All completely un needed, but essential to employ people.

Reduce consumption, cast people into poverty. Reducing the population is the best way to limit excess exploitation and pollution.

Well, it has to do with the system we have created, maybe time for revolution and the adaption of an alternative non-capitalistic system. Even if population reduction is a "good" solution, the question still remains: how is population reduction gonna happen?

Wash out condoms and re use, save's the planet from all that rubber down the wc

Instead of carpet stick two squares of it to your slippers, you can't tell the difference

Don't use toilet paper of course, spray it all over the place with one of those bum guns

Don't waste energy watching the tv, it's all rubbish anyway

Don't think just because it says 'organic' on the packet that it actually is, probably not as you know it.

Do not feed soi dogs or cats and on no account 'adopt' one, they all need to die.

Don't waste time here with religion, unless you believe you can bribe god for various rewards

Please don't come back in a couple of months and tell us you fell in love with the culture ????

On 10/11/2019 at 12:03 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Think it can't happen? Think about what would happen if trucks couldn't bring food into a big city like London or NY. No one grows food in the city anymore, and how many days supply are in supermarkets? If the stoppage happened for a month or more= no food for love nor money

I'm surrounded by rice paddy and jungle.

My gf hunted and gathered all her own food when she was little.

Can walk through any vegetation, and gather a bag full of food.

I'm prepared (although I may not like the taste).

On 10/13/2019 at 5:14 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

White folk, Japanese and Thais are all reducing in population.

You need to control the Africans, Indians and Chinese, and the only way to reduce them is with bombs and disease.

Archived