Asking for tips on being environmental on a low budget

Cristiancjb

Hi all helpers!

New to Thailand and am now living in Chiang Mai. Will probably be here for around 1 year and I try to be as environment friendly as I can. Since I don't have a job and now living by my savings, I still want to know what things I can do here (buy organic food, recycling etc.) if I try to be more environmental?

Are there any good organisations here that work with such questions?

Best regards

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You can refuse to accept any plastic bags especially plastic carry bags.

And don't accept straws for drinks.  Always carry a cloth tote bag or light backpack with you for your purchases.  Bring your own reusable food storage containers if you expect to get take-away or bring home left-overs when you dine out.

2 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

reusable shopping bags in the car.  

BTW driving your car will emit far more "pollution" than that coming from the manufacture of plastic bags you use in a lifetime.  But of course a good start using cloth bags or a backpack. 

So walking and bicycling reduces your carbon footprint obviously, public transportation etc...

Living in an area with breezes in a dwelling that has windows or doors to allow a cross breeze helps immensely on air conditioning energy cost, hence carbon footprint.  

Am sure many tips available on a Google search

Or watch old episodes of Gilligan's Island, they figured out how to live emission free and off the grid :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Skallywag said:

BTW driving your car will emit far more "pollution" than that coming from the manufacture of plastic bags you use in a lifetime.  But of course a good start using cloth bags or a backpack. 

So walking and bicycling reduces your carbon footprint obviously, public transportation etc...

Living in an area with breezes in a dwelling that has windows or doors to allow a cross breeze helps immensely on air conditioning energy cost, hence carbon footprint.  

Am sure many tips available on a Google search

Or watch old episodes of Gilligan's Island, they figured out how to live emission free and off the grid :thumbsup:

Yeah, I would skip the car but unfortunately where I live and with a baby coming, it's gonna be way too tough without car. However I will reduce y consumption of meat and see what else I can reduce without sacrificing too much. 

Depending on where you live, you may need to use an air conditioner (some peoples apartments are just too hot because of their design, location etc.). 

However, you can set the aircon temp much warmer if you use a separate fan to blow directly on you.

You can get an effect nearly as good as aircon by just wearing damp shorts, T-shirt and a fan blowing. It's even better than buying one of those 'swamp coolers'.

When you shower, don't leave the water running. Lather and rinse in stages and you can save running hot water by about 80%. 

Switch all your fluro lights out to LED as they die.

If there's a regular place you like to order takeaway, bring your own reusable containers.

Just a few that come to mind. These aren't gonna suit everybody, obviously! 

Your decent endeavours will not be well received here on this forum. Check Chang Mai university for eco groups. Carry your own shopping bag, sort your unclean rubbish and put your cans,  and bottles separately to make it easier for the night scavengers. Most Thai festivals and parades have a strong eco contingent so check them out. Walk everwhere rather than get buses. Hand launder your own clothes. Shower in cold water. 2 pints is more than enough. Eat only raw food. Only flush the toilet for solids..on alternate days. Get up at daybreak and sleep at sunset to save electricity. Anybody got any more suggestions?

16 hours ago, Cristiancjb said:

That's a shame, any idea why it is like that here? 

Its not true. That is typical thai bashing and thai hating common on this forum. Thais have been at the forefront of eco activities for decades, land and forests conservation,  campaigns against damns and golf courses and other issues. My advice is to look to young Thais. Definitely NOT this forum for obvious reasons.

On 10/6/2019 at 2:37 AM, Cristiancjb said:

Yeah, I would skip the car but unfortunately where I live and with a baby coming, it's gonna be way too tough without car. However I will reduce y consumption of meat and see what else I can reduce without sacrificing too much. 

Get one of those m'bikes with a sidecar to reduce petrol consumption.

Buy food at markets, not supermarkets.

No chance with rubbish disposal or organic food. 

On 10/5/2019 at 8:37 PM, Cristiancjb said:

it's gonna be way too tough without car. However I will reduce y consumption of meat and see what else I can reduce without sacrificing too much. 

"it's gonna be way too tough..."

"I will reduce y consumption of meat..."

"...and see what else I can reduce without sacrificing too much."

Now there's an admirable, committed environmentalist for you!

On 10/6/2019 at 1:27 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Its not true. That is typical thai bashing and thai hating common on this forum. 

mmm you seems very affirmative with your assertion

On 10/6/2019 at 1:27 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Thais have been at the forefront of eco activities for decades, land and forests conservation, 

Yes some are, but a lot are too busy burning lands and forests, particularly in Chiang Mai where 

the OP lives. Have you ever heard about this problem and the local inaction about it?

On 10/6/2019 at 2:27 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Its not true. That is typical thai bashing and thai hating common on this forum. Thais have been at the forefront of eco activities for decades, land and forests conservation,  campaigns against damns and golf courses and other issues. My advice is to look to young Thais. Definitely NOT this forum for obvious reasons.

eco activities

beach.jpg

On 10/7/2019 at 1:58 PM, kingofthemountain said:

mmm you seems very affirmative with your assertion

Yes some are, but a lot are too busy burning lands and forests, particularly in Chiang Mai where 

the OP lives. Have you ever heard about this problem and the local inaction about it?

Burning forests is effectively carbon neutral. As is burning sugar cane and rice paddies. 

Did all the eco warriors posting walk/swim/ride a bike to Thailand?

Or did they fly. Have a long hard look at yourself before giving holier than though advice.

Ideally you should never have travelled more than five miles from the place of your birth and live a middle ages lifestyle. Basically starve and freeze in the dark.

Then you can give advice.

18 hours ago, uptoyoumyfriend said:

you might want to check out the vegetarian society on mahidol road weekdays around 11 30 and not just eat there....

How does that relate to being environmental? There is no link with being vegetarian and the environment apart from trying to fit in with the 'hip' crowd. Vegetables don't need pumped water, don't need to be transported?  Get a good feeling buying organic veggies after driving 30 klms in a fuel guzzling SUV?

Sorry, I've had enough of that BS being rammed down my throat and its time to fight back in my opinion.

58 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

How does that relate to being environmental? There is no link with being vegetarian and the environment apart from trying to fit in with the 'hip' crowd. Vegetables don't need pumped water, don't need to be transported?  Get a good feeling buying organic veggies after driving 30 klms in a fuel guzzling SUV?

Sorry, I've had enough of that BS being rammed down my throat and its time to fight back in my opinion.

But, but, whatabout..

And what's with the right wingers' oral fixation about ramming things down their throats?  

1 minute ago, amexpat said:

But, but, whatabout..

And what's with the right wingers' oral fixation about ramming things down their throats?  

You would have to ask them, I don't see myself as left or right wing.

I'm the one they both hate - an independent thinker.

Oral fixation? I hope you are talking about toothpaste and clean teeth.

On 10/4/2019 at 3:22 PM, Cristiancjb said:

New to Thailand and am now living in Chiang Mai. Will probably be here for around 1 year and I try to be as environment friendly as I can

By being environment friendly you can be considered a threat to culture !

Don't fight...assimilate 555

On 10/7/2019 at 7:56 AM, Just Weird said:

"it's gonna be way too tough..."

"I will reduce y consumption of meat..."

"...and see what else I can reduce without sacrificing too much."

Now there's an admirable, committed environmentalist for you!

Typical of eco pretenders. Hes having  a kid! Hes got a car! The two  most extreme acts of ecological vandalism. In reality he has no wish to contribute to a better environment.. He just wants to assuage his conscience with pathetic gestures. Is the OP a god botherer?

19 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

eco activities

beach.jpg

TVF cliches from jaded contributors. A littered beach does not mean there are not many Thai environmental activists.  But their problem is that these brave Thais are up against the power elite, the army, the police, the timber mafia etc. In Thailand environmental activism can be a death sentence

Archived