Climate Change: An unstoppable movement takes hold

rooster59

46 minutes ago, Elad said:

Below is a graph showing a generalised temperature history of the Earth relative to the current GMST, the temperature scale is qualitative (colder and warmer). The time scale is in millions of years, and at this scale the glacial and interglacial periods are not shown, but major ice ages are shown with blue bands.

For the present time at the top of the graph you can see we are heading into an ice age, in fact we have been in one for the last 2.4 million years and the conditions of today's climate is due to the fact that we are in an interglacial period that started around 10,000 years ago.

If human carbon emissions are the cause of temperature rises in the last 150 years then it might be a good thing.

Anthropogenic carbon emissions could be the only way of controlling the climate and saving us from plunging into a major ice age. 

780731627_Scan(2).thumb.jpg.609230a9af2fdba7dfdee7c256edc151.jpg

the planet is getting old, the core is cooling,

short of it becoming a nuclear reactor

i dont see how anything beside changing earth orbit around the sun is going to dodge the upcoming ice age

• Thanks 1

Yes, our house is burning and we are more concerned with shifting the blame, and the ugly face of capitalism makes everyone look for profit. We need a major mindshift if we are going to halt climate change, yet we are a race that still spends billions of dollars on technology designed only to kill and destroy.

It is said that the best hope our planet has, is Artificial Intelligence, which learns exponentially, and once it understands that humans are the cause of the planet's woes, it will set about eliminating us.

Perhaps we don't deserve this place!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

the planet is getting old, the core is cooling,

short of it becoming a nuclear reactor

i dont see how anything beside changing earth orbit around the sun is going to dodge the upcoming ice age

There won't be any resources left in a few hundred years anyway ......

1 hour ago, geronimo said:

There won't be any resources left in a few hundred years anyway ......

the main problem with the world and the human specie

is we have too few shamans willing to do the right thing,

sacrifice to the gods in hope of forgiveness.

i call on ipcc council to perform the necessary rituals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting_in_Mesoamerica

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

the main problem with the world and the human specie

is we have too few shamans willing to do the right thing,

sacrifice to the gods in hope of forgiveness.

i call on ipcc council to perform the necessary rituals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting_in_Mesoamerica

We could start with taking down the federal reserve .....

nothing destroys but everything spreads in consumption of raw materials,

over time it will take increasingly more energy to scrape up and sort raw materials. this will undoubtedly be handed over to robots working 24/7.

itd be great if 3rd world would just stop breeding

as if life depended on it

Edited by brokenbone

3 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

nothing destroys but everything spreads in consumption of raw materials,

over time it will take increasingly more energy to scrape up and sort raw materials. this will undoubtedly be handed over to robots working 24/7.

itd be great if 3rd world would just stop breeding

as if life depended on it

Wars will begin soon, as resources become scarcer, and when there's plenty of food to go round, nations are nice to each other, but when the chips are down, countries will be invaded by stronger neighbours and they will suck the life out of the place!

24 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Wars will begin soon, as resources become scarcer, and when there's plenty of food to go round, nations are nice to each other, but when the chips are down, countries will be invaded by stronger neighbours and they will suck the life out of the place!

its obvious that increased lifespan is directly linked to increased consumption. back in the good old days when

man was unlikely to see his 40th birthday,

he would just drop dead and stop consumption,

whereas today he keeps on lingering around and consume until the ripe age of 80.

we can cut our consumption to half within 100 years merely by euthanize everyone on his/her 50th birthday.

the good life is at this stage over anyway,

body and brain deteriorating while aches and pain are on a steady increase,

unattractive to see and unattractive to hear, its just dead weight for the youth to carry with pension subsidies

Edited by brokenbone

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

its obvious that increased lifespan is directly linked to increased consumption. back in the good old days when

man was unlikely to see his 40th birthday,

he would just drop dead and stop consumption,

whereas today he keeps on lingering around and consume until the ripe age of 80.

we can cut our consumption to half within 100 years merely by euthanize everyone on his/her 50th birthday.

the good life is at this stage over anyway,

body and brain deteriorating while aches and pain are on a steady increase, its just dead weight for the youth to carry with pension subsidies

I think we need to eliminate about 75% of the population to reduce the impact on the planet. Around 500 million would be just fine. Where shall we start?

2 minutes ago, geronimo said:

I think we need to eliminate about 75% of the population to reduce the impact on the planet. Around 500 million would be just fine. Where shall we start?

everyone above age 50, and make it optional for those below age 50 with easy access and low cost

3 minutes ago, geronimo said:

That's me done then, I'm 64. Where do I report?

if i knew, i wouldnt be here to tell you, im overdue too.

but the sad fact is most governments do their best

to block availability of a decent death,

and i got too much pain to make it to switzerland

Edited by brokenbone

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

if i knew, i wouldnt be here to tell you, im overdue too.

but the sad fact is most governments do their best

to block availability of a decent death

Well, I'm hoping I'll die in my sleep at the grand old age of 106 ......

1 minute ago, geronimo said:

Well, I'm hoping I'll die in my sleep at the grand old age of 106 ......

then you will have a more negative impact on consumption

then most humans throughout history, and for what ?

what possible good is there for you or anyone else

that you linger around in this world in a state of decay ?

Just now, brokenbone said:

then you will have a more negative impact on consumption

then most humans throughout history, and for what ?

what possible good is there for you or anyone else

that you linger around in this world in a state of decay ?

I know, it's weird that I have this self-preservation thing, dunno where it comes from. I should really have the overall needs of the planet above my own selfish desires to remain alive!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geronimo said:

I know, it's weird that I have this self-preservation thing, dunno where it comes from. I should really have the overall needs of the planet above my own selfish desires to remain alive!

i blame survival instinct and pain perception,

i would like some serious research on how to reduce both

8 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

That video starts out with the comment that the last decade was the warmest in the last 800,000 years. A total lie. You don't even have to go back a 1000 years to find warmer temperatures, and the majority of last 8000 years were warmer than now. If they aren't going to even attempt to tell the truth, how can they expect sympathy  for their movement.

I bet most people who saw that video just read that and believed it.

15000 years.jpg

afraid its the omission and trolling of the truth that causes the attraction

Edited by brokenbone

1 hour ago, geronimo said:

The UK could set the ball rolling by chopping the 52% who voted for Brexit.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The UK could set the ball rolling by chopping the 52% who voted for Brexit.

its easy to understand your frustration,

but its also easy to see the frustration in the other camp

when EU politburo take actions implying the other camp

owe serbs/greeks/other 5thcolonns an allowance for life.

if i had it my way, only those who had already proven their competitiveness need apply, the rest of the bunch need to show they will be an asset first, before membership discussion can occur.

and pathological liars like greeks would be kicked out with permanent ban on all kinds of trade for 100 years.

you could call it effective continental system.

you lost out twice since london had so many special clauses that you benefited from, those will not be available should you attempt to rejoin

Edited by brokenbone

as long as it is only about feelings and sharing them.  or only about some "ice melting" narrative that might happen in 2100 something!

OTHERWISE the moment anyone mentions air travel and tourism, it will stop.  just as it did when someone tapped George Herbert Walker Bush on the shoulder and told him he would face a lot more than just the ridicule he already had to endure... over his Republican "global warming" issue, but that it involved the reason why we no longer had to make Charles Bronson movies about New York City.  duh.  [air travel and tourism totally remade NYC in the wake of Carter's deregulation, or air travel in the USA... and one of Reagan's first big decisions was firing the air traffic controllers.. air travel, air travel, air travel.  285 grams per pass/km vs. 14 for a train.  one passenger one kilometer. with no safety tested 200,000 electric airplanes waiting in the wings].  duh. 

and....  "only 2 percent" of global emissions [air travel] is huge given that 6,400 million of us have never been inside an airplane even once yet.... and, even more to the point, everything we do and consume involves GHG emissions.  so "only 2 percent" is not "only'.  it's huge.  and it was and still is the first baby step on the emissions side.... but now, only to obtain some solace.  maybe.  but the airline industry will say "we have CORSIA offsets! on some international flights! BEGINNING in 2027........ yeah, right..... total nonsense as well.  

Edited by WeekendRaider

13 minutes ago, WeekendRaider said:

as long as it is only about feelings and sharing them.  or only about some ice melting in 2100. 

OTHERWISE the moment anyone mentions air travel and tourism, it will stop.  just as it did when someone tapped George Herbert Walker Bush on the shoulder and told him he would face a lot more than just the ridicule he already had to endure... over his Republican "global warming" issue, but that it involved the reason why we no longer had to make Charles Bronson movies about New York City in the 1970's.  duh.  

"only 2 percent" of global emissions [air travel] is huge given that 6,400 million of us have never been inside an airplane even once yet.... and, even more to the point, everything we do and consume involves GHG emissions.  so "only 2 percent" is not "only'.  it's huge.  and it was and still is the first baby step on the emissions side.... but now, only to obtain some solace.  maybe.    

co2 doesnt increase temperature, but what it does do is increasing biomass.

its not a coincidence that greenhouse owners & salt aquarium owners artificially increase co2

several times over what nature today provide,

plants are starving from lack of co2 compared to

historical levels they thrived in

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

758389534_Anotherglobalcatastrophe1.7_2019.jpg.5fe960aa64f654caf2ef856ea637c71e.jpg

ice ages are historical facts, its going to happen,

but its thousands of years away so its not our problem

and theres nothing we can or should do about it anyway.

by looking at data, we are right now at peak warmth

before the plummet into next ice age in line

ice age cycles.jpg

800px-EPICA_temperature_plot.svg.png

620px-milankovitchcycles.jpg

From the Sydney Morning Herald August 3rd 1971: "...announced the Great Barrier Reef would be dead in six months."

All these pronouncements sound like religious zealots proclaiming the end of the world on a certain date!

BTW - The Great Barrier Reef is not dead, a little battered at the moment & not for the first time.

On 10/5/2019 at 7:13 PM, Lacessit said:

Basic thermodynamics. The heat we generate is absorbed by the oceans. Before the Industrial Revolution, the contribution of humans to heat was infinitesimal. Weren't enough of us, no planes, cars or power stations. No air conditioners set at 18 C.

As the oceans warm, two things happen. Ice caps melt. Hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones intensify - the warmer the water, the higher the energy released and the higher the wind speed. Entropy doing its thing. If that's not climate change, I don't know what is.

Oceans also absorb carbon dioxide. They acidify, resulting in coral dieback. and disruption of food chains.

Science 101. However, masses of people persist with the delusion there is such a thing as a free lunch.

It's not religion. It's science. Tough luck if you don't like it.

Soooooo, explain how the climate was warmer during Roman times and we can't have contributed to it as long before industrial revolution?

If the dogma was correct, all the glaciers on the planet would be receding but they ain't- google it.

According to the information I heard, humans contribute 3% of all atmospheric CO2- tell me how that makes a difference?

Water vapour is apparently the biggest green house "gas". However, can't tax that.