Opening a small tutoring center

Wife wants to open a small tutoring center with the aim of employing Thai teachers and eventually my good self. Does anyone know what the requirements are for opening said enterprise? I’ve heard that the owner needs to be a (Thai) qualified teacher, can anyone here clarify?

Many thanks.

Sent from my FisherPrice telephone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This is very interesting, something I'd like to get into too - but for me that would be long-term, since I've already started in another field together with my partners & wife ????

I think a tutoring center that provides high quality tutors as well as a streamlined, online booking & payment system could do very well indeed!

They are not considered schools  so they pass that but you will have a lot of hoops and get ready with the envelopes.

I have my own tutor school and what I had to do was get the business set up go through some hoops with the municipality.  They have safety requirements that for a few baht you can resolve.

The big thing they want is to know that everyone is qualified no one has asked for a Thai teacher that is qualified thank god because i am the teacher.  

It depends on who you put in charge and what level education they have if you are going to teach you are going to need a Bachelors degree that is education related.

Best thing to do if she is serious is visit the provincial education office and talk to them they will tell you what they need.

They are not considered schools  so they pass that but you will have a lot of hoops and get ready with the envelopes.  

I have my own tutor school and what I had to do was get the business set up go through some hoops with the municipality.  They have safety requirements that for a few baht you can resolve.

The big thing they want is to know that everyone is qualified no one has asked for a Thai teacher that is qualified thank god because i am the teacher.  

It depends on who you put in charge and what level education they have if you are going to teach you are going to need a Bachelors degree that is education related.

Best thing to do if she is serious is visit the provincial education office and talk to them they will tell you what they need.

Bachelor in Education, crikey I was only planning to teach basic conversation to primary school kids. I’m sure I remember language schools not even requiring degrees to get WP, maybe that’s changed though.

What language will you be teaching? Presumably some English dialect, Yorkshire, London/cockney, Kent, Cornwall, Somerset, Australian, New Zealand, US west coast, Mid or eastern, Canadian?

The Queens English?

I've heard Thais speak perfect English that I cannot understand word of.

Good luck.

What language will you be teaching? Presumably some English dialect, Yorkshire, London/cockney, Kent, Cornwall, Somerset, Australian, New Zealand, US west coast, Mid or eastern, Canadian?
The Queens English?
I've heard Thais speak perfect English that I cannot understand word of.

Good luck.

I've decided to opt for a heavy Glaswegian with a light sprinkling of Cornish or possibly Somerset if the Cornish is out of season.

9 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Don't leave us in suspense. In what subject is your "tutor school" providing tuition. And when you say "qualified," does that mean you handed out especially thick envelopes?

8 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Bachelor in Education, crikey I was only planning to teach basic conversation to primary school kids. I’m sure I remember language schools not even requiring degrees to get WP, maybe that’s changed though.

Teaching conversation is very difficult especially for people without very good TEFL Qualifications and TEFL teaching experience. I suspect you have no experience in teaching and what it involves. Certainly not Thai teachers unless they are TEFL qualified and at least level 7 or 8 on the IELTS Scale.

Teaching conversation is very difficult especially for people without very good TEFL Qualifications and TEFL teaching experience. I suspect you have no experience in teaching and what it involves. Certainly not Thai teachers unless they are TEFL qualified and at least level 7 or 8 on the IELTS Scale.

After years of keying marks into the user unfriendly Bookmark software I've decided to ’go it alone’. Your suspicion is incorrect. If you have any valid info regarding my original question, I'd be most grateful.
Thank you.

Depends where you are operating... My wife opened up on her own, then employed 2 other teachers (both Thai nationals).

She never registered the business and never paid anyone with an envelope but we are not in a main city center or tourist area.

There is a lot of money to be made in extra curriculum education..

Archived