Bangkok to test run air purifying tower on 8th October

rooster59

50 minutes ago, tompelli said:

This one from Chiang Mai, April 2019

Image result for chiang mai air purifier

Compared to what the Chinese are doing this look useless. Maybe it's a proper size for a mall but not a city. 

Edited by Tayaout

The towers proposed here were only  4 M tall basically a big  fan with HEPA filters. who's going to change these filters all the time because they are going to gain so much weight everyday where are they going to clean these filters sounds like a great contract.  Sounds like a gimmick give them a free fan and sell them filters for life.  Utterly stupid

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

As soon as the sun shines the water vapour will rise as nature intended and take the PM2.5 particles back up with it... getting rid of the particles at source is the only way to go.. 

I believe you will find water vapour is pure and will not carry ground base particulates as it is a gas phase state.

Similarly such as ocean evaporation does not carry desolved salts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, smedly said:

OMG are they serious ?

This is right up there with boats clearing flood water and bomb detectors

If these people would spend half as much time, energy, effort and money chasing the real problem which is Thai people themselves as they do foreigners and our address reporting, they might just be able to solve their own problems.

• Like 1

As noted one way or another by some posters, this is nothing but a band aid solution.

The answer is to tackle the problem at the grass roots level, locally, in all of Thailand.

Then, since Thailand proclaims to be such a key player in South East Asia, start immediate negotiations with all neighboring countries to curb their filth that is being wind-carried into Thailand.

Get serious, put some teeth into all these measures and for once become the REAL HUB of something meaningful.

Now that would be a big step in returning "happiness to the people" and it would provide a boost to tourism simultaneously.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Reigntax said:

I believe you will find water vapour is pure and will not carry ground base particulates as it is a gas phase state.

Why this is true the fact is the warm air rises  creating  thermals and strong updrafts and sinking air masses.  Wind, ground disturbances and such and much of the fine particles will be airborne again.   This is such a stupid idea I am aghast.   I worry the pre test data, sensor location relative to the filter  unit can be manipulated to mean anything.  This idea is just looking like the government cares.  They just ccx want to fool the public so that someone can win the maintenance contract on these filters.  But I think it said power usage was 12 kw.  The power co is going to love 100 of these running 24/7.    I wonder if they will  do a separate meter drop for these or tap off of a building and just agree to pay them some marked  up amount.   

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 5:17 AM, rooster59 said:

Bangkok to test run air purifying tower on 8th October

Today is the 10th - so what happened - is the air in Bangkok and surrounding areas clean and fit to breathe or did the test fail dismally.  I vote for the latter!

On 10/6/2019 at 3:10 PM, Reigntax said:

What we need is a cloud capture system ????????.  Bring them down in a big net somehow and shove them through the filters.

I've always wondered about the claims of rain clearing the air of pollution. If it rains it means that one area of dry dusty air has been replaced by another that is not dry and dusty so the dry dusty air has just been shoved somewhere else to annoy other areas. There may be a little bit of dust removed in the interface between the two air masses but most of the dust just gets moved, not cleaned out of the air.

On 10/6/2019 at 5:17 AM, rooster59 said:

Meanwhile, the Department for Development of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine (DTAM) has held a seminar on healthcare practices preventing illnesses from PM 2.5 dust. In this seminar, a pharmacist from Chao Phraya Aphaiphubet Hospital Pakakrong Kwankhao said the consumption of some herbs such as Indian gooseberry and tumeric can help fight symptoms caused by PM 2.5 dust, while little ironweed can help improve lungs functionality; infused water from boiling laurel clockvine leaves can have detoxification properties but should not be consumed continuously for more than a month due to high cadmium content; as well as fresh green chiretta leaves which can help with common cold and alleviate inflammation and sore throat, but should be consumed only every 6-8 hours, with extra cautions for persons with cholecystitis.

The PM2.5 snake oil salesmen are getting preparing for the bad smog season ahead. And it would appear, the BMA with their PM2.5 tower will be leading the parade.

I keep waiting for them to call up the river boats and have them run their engine propellers to blow the smog away....

:w00t:

PS - I've got my own idea -- how about getting the c**p out of the air so people don't have to breath it and get sick as a result.

Just recently moved to Bangkok from USA and I noticed that the highways and BTS here have black streaks of smog on them when looking from the side or below. I've never seen such nasty things in the US.

This got me thinking that the vehicles' exhausts here are spewing disgusting smog.

Why don't they simply require smog checks for all vehicles? Have a somewhat laxed standard to start and increase it slowly over time (say 5 or 10 years) until it's as good as that of California?

This would actually solve a root cause.

If only Thailand was aware of #SkySolution!

A demo was done on Bangkok a few weeks ago I heard.  They will have a phone app out soon that will archive the relevant data.  This article refers directly to the time that the demo the Sky Solutions charity pollution removal services did the test in mid-Bangkok.

The levels dropped quickly from 150 red PM10 to much less 12 hours later.  I know because I am helping code their app.  You may want to look into the twitter hashtag #skysolution and www.twitter.com/@gifts4G

Screenshot_2019-10-10-20-16-22.png

35 minutes ago, djchronosphere said:

The starting levels in attached images.

=======

If only Thailand was aware of #SkySolution!

A demo was done on Bangkok a couple weeks ago I heard.  They will have a phone app out soon that will archive the relevant data.  This article refers directly to the time that the demo the Sky Solutions charity pollution removal services did the test in mid-Bangkok.

The levels dropped quickly from 150 red PM10 to much less 12 hours later.  I know because I am helping code their app.  You may want to look into the twitter hashtag #skysolution and www.twitter.com/@gifts4G

Screenshot_2019-10-10-20-16-22.png

picturemessage_4eghq4yr.ega.png

picturemessage_ydcvgg4d.vvb.png

picturemessage_yse4do5n.nze.png

Edited by djchronosphere

Around 4 hours later....

Also, the projections were all orange, and a lot of yellow and some green were achieved in reduction drops of between 40-55%.  PM dropped a lot too, well over 60%.  The storm is blamed but the storm was due to the Trial for PhD investigation most likely as you can see the humidity did rise at the same time as the drops in PMs and other pollution dropped, when there is less PMs, rain happens more commonly due to the lack of the pollution heat bubble.

picturemessage_bceou0fc.hlc.png

picturemessage_2nj3krqb.x20.png

picturemessage_hnh0g4x5.lqg.png

picturemessage_f20rzbdl.wf5.png

Edited by djchronosphere