Is tourism in Thailand set to get worse before it gets better?

rooster59

On 10/7/2019 at 9:41 AM, DLock said:

Thailand has peaked...it's now just a matter of how far Thailand sinks. I hope it sinks a lot. 

20 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

You don't understand

nothing to do with jealousy or hate or whatever here

most of us love Thailand and the Thais

You dictionary not same mine I think.

if say “Hope Thailand sinks a lot” I think it is very negative. Or not?

https://dict.longdo.com/mobile/?search=sink

He not love thailand and the Thais. Sure.

21 hours ago, Yinn said:

A lot of you guy on TVF. Live in Thailand. Hope thai people to sink. 

Will not happen.

Jealousy is not good thing. Hurt your brain. Not mine. 5555555

To be fair, I don't think it is about jealousy. I think many here love Thailand and feel hurt by the perception of being made to feel unwelcome.

It's a positive thing if there are local people to contribute to the discussion. But unfortunate if it turns into a kind of childish back and forth.

Sometimes, in a discussion, you need to take the high ground. Stand back and look at the whole situation. Don't get involved in petty squabbles or you lose sight of what is actually happening.

No one wants the Thai people to sink. They just don't like being made to feel unwelcome after contributing many years of their life to the benefit of the country.

So they want that to change. I guess some think that the only way it will change is when more people feel the pain in their pocket.

So don't blind yourself to the full picture because you decide to only focus on a tiny part of it.

Understand why they are feeling upset in the first place and try to heal their hurt.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yinn said:

You dictionary not same mine I think.

if say “Hope Thailand sinks a lot” I think it is very negative. Or not?

https://dict.longdo.com/mobile/?search=sink

He not love thailand and the Thais. Sure.

That original quote was mine. And the context of this thread is tourism, not Thai people.

Yinn, do you think Thailand tourism deserves to continue to grow year on year given the current state of the country, or do you think the Government needs to feel some drop in tourist numbers to understand that Thailand is just not desirable to tourists these day and make the necessary improvements so that Thailand is once again an attractive destination?

5 minutes ago, JamJar said:

To be fair, I don't think it is about jealousy. I think many here love Thailand and feel hurt by the perception of being made to feel unwelcome.

Everyone welcome if polite. EVERYONE 

No one wants the Thai people to sink.

He said that. I think feel it.

Understand why they are feeling upset in the first place and try to heal their hurt.

He say angry that Thailand welcome Indian and Chinese. 

He think “superiority” them.

Angry thai not agree that.

EVERYONE a welcome to thailand if polite.

i happy for all nice people to come have good time, enjoy. Black, white, Muslim, Chinese, Indian. 

No problem for me. 

I think Indian family lovely people. Polite, not drunk. But if thred on TVF mention Indian, many member say terrible thing. Everytime. For what? 

Want thai to “sink” because we welcome Chinese and India? 

His problem.

5 minutes ago, DLock said:

That original quote was mine. And the context of this thread is tourism, not Thai people.

Yinn, do you think Thailand tourism deserves to continue to grow year on year given the current state of the country, or do you think the Government needs to feel some drop in tourist numbers to understand that Thailand is just not desirable to tourists these day and make the necessary improvements so that Thailand is once again an attractive destination?

EVERYONE is welcome.

The only tourist I not like is the sex tourist. I know when say that, many member will angry me. Up to me.

My opinion and most Thai people think same. 

Some thai guy like sex worker also. Up to them. But not show public. Is different. Is ugly.

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

EVERYONE is welcome.

The only tourist I not like is the sex tourist. I know when say that, many member will angry me. Up to me.

My opinion and most Thai people think same. 

Some thai guy like sex worker also. Up to them. But not show public. Is different. Is ugly.

Yinn, do you think Thailand is still a good destination and good value for tourists?

25 minutes ago, Yinn said:

i happy for all nice people to come have good time, enjoy. Black, white, Muslim, Chinese, Indian. 

No problem for me. 

I think Indian family lovely people. Polite, not drunk. But if thred on TVF mention Indian, many member say terrible thing. Everytime. For what? 

His problem.

I guess that many of their words come from the same place as a child or a partner who feels abandoned.

More from hurt and pain. 

Maybe you too feel the same, if your partner leaves you for someone else.

Sometimes it brings up many bad feelings. But even though you are angry, it doesn't mean that your love for that person has disappeared.

There are many 'westerners' feeling displaced and upset. I might not agree with everything they say and do, but I try to stand back and look at the whole picture.

I agree that everyone should be welcome and don't like the superiority complex. We all learn from each other.

As to the sex tourist argument..... They have their place. I'm not going to speak for nor against them.

None of my friends are sex tourists. I am certainly not. 

From my point of view, Thailand has become an increasingly unattractive prospect. For the reasons I have outlined in my earlier posts. I am very polite, not a sex tourist and have money to spend. Perfect tourist you might think.

So why am I made to feel uncomfortable? 

Either way, it's my life and I intend to make the best of it. If they make me feel unwelcome, I simply won't go. 

But not everyone reacts the same in a broken relationship. ????

So don't take their words personally. Of course there are some idiots with unpleasant views. Racists are racists. They are completely stupid.

Thais, Indian, Chinese....they are family. You can say what you want about your family. But of course you don't want outsiders to speak badly about your family. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 12:07 PM, baansgr said:

Figures are arrivals, considering almost 2 million came from Lao of a population less than 7 million is obvious these are not tourists. Take into account border runners, Malaysians for a one day market, Khmer workers, Chinese and transit flight's the true "Tourist" figure is around 20 million which is pee poor for a country of this size which is dependent on tourism. The signs are everywhere that "Quality" and repeat tourists are avoiding Thailand like the plaque. Weak currencies is only part of it, visiting Thailand is now like a bad week in Beirut with no happy holiday experience enjoyed. Education, pride in ones country and manners need to be addressed befor tourists return, unfortunately the horse has bolted and unlikely to return

The hub of mysterious deaths hardly entices the jetset. Mindless backpackers, yes. 

It would be so interesting if Booking.com or Agoda released some statistics

THEY would be the ONLY ones to have data over past 10 years showing change in tourism numbers, where tourists are coming with, the wealth of those tourists, and how long they are staying.

It would be very interesting to see that.

If there aren't significant increases, or decreases then you could assume that the numbers are made up by cheap Chinese tourists on tours plus people crossing borders from neighbouring countries. Some of these people cross every day with sacks of rice etc - hardly :"tourists"

Seriously that Thai Government has no idea whos coming here, spending how much, staying for how long - and for what purpose they are coming. What we want/need etc.  And they never really thought to ask us 

]

Edited by CrossBones

for suers on this forum there have been hundreds of posts forecasting "the end is nigh" for Thailand - all this says is that the posters don't understand that isn't how it works. 

There may be dips, even crashes but they isn't the end of it.

Yes Thailand is riven with incompetence, lack of democracy and corruption ut it doesn't spell disaster - all it says is that at the moment they have got it wrong and failed to anticipate. When the "disaster" does happen, these people won't recognise it

9 hours ago, CrossBones said:

It would be so interesting if Booking.com or Agoda released some statistics

Tourist stats are already gathered (and paid for) by various organisations that get information from agencies, website vendors immigration authorities, hotels and other businesses and organisations in the industry. 

hotels and tourist companies pay a lot of money to get hold of this info to run their businesses. The info as with any industry is quite accurate. It is what those companies or the TAT do with the info that is variable----figures mean nothing until they are interpreted.

9 hours ago, CrossBones said:

the numbers are made up by cheap Chinese tourists on tours plus people crossing borders from neighbouring countries.

Again an incorrect assumption. Chinese tourist stay shorter periods than say Europeans, but in fact pay /spend more on a daily basis.

people from neighbouring countries actually also often come to spend/shop and may visit several times a year.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Again an incorrect assumption. Chinese tourist stay shorter periods than say Europeans, but in fact pay /spend more on a daily basis.

people from neighbouring countries actually also often come to spend/shop and may visit several times a year.

Are you by any chance paid by the thai governemnt,TAT or someting like that?

If not on what survey or studies or real serious data are based yours assertions

''in fact'' and ''also often come to'' ?

5 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Are you by any chance paid by the thai governemnt,TAT or someting like that?

If not on what survey or studies or real serious data are based yours assertions

''in fact'' and ''also often come to'' ?

What an extraordinary response - it clearly shows your profound lack of understanding of how any business - tourism or otherwise - uses stats to plan, risk assess etc etc. you appear not even to understand my post.

As noted many times those without argument resort to asking for absurd references - if you want to understand how statistics are gathered then do the research. And I mean "research" not "search"

Edited by Airbagwill

1 minute ago, Airbagwill said:

What an extraordinary response - it clearly shows your profound lack of understanding of how any business - tourism or otherwise - uses stats to plan, risk assess etc etc.

As noted many times those without argument resort to asking for absurd references - if you want to understand how statistics are gathered then do the research. And I mean "research" not "search"

and this is  how to not answer at a precise (And probably embarassing) question 

congrats

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

for suers on this forum there have been hundreds of posts forecasting "the end is nigh" for Thailand - all this says is that the posters don't understand that isn't how it works. 

There may be dips, even crashes but they isn't the end of it.

Yes Thailand is riven with incompetence, lack of democracy and corruption ut it doesn't spell disaster - all it says is that at the moment they have got it wrong and failed to anticipate. When the "disaster" does happen, these people won't recognise it

That could be interpreted as not being able to decipher what is happening at the present moment. Personally I think we are already in the disaster, although beginning stages.

The dips and crashes were things of the past, such as bird flu, coup etc. The balance is way against Thai tourism at present.

Of course some people will be OK but I think Thailand is heading for a very severe recession/depression. In the past Thailand has still had an environment and culture that was in tact enough to draw in a sizeable amount of tourists. This is now stacked against it too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

That could be interpreted as not being able to decipher what is happening at the present moment. Personally I think we are already in the disaster, although beginning stages.

The dips and crashes were things of the past, such as bird flu, coup etc. The balance is way against Thai tourism at present.

Of course some people will be OK but I think Thailand is heading for a very severe recession/depression. In the past Thailand has still had an environment and culture that was in tact enough to draw in a sizeable amount of tourists. This is now stacked against it too.

As said, I think not.

4 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

The crucial raw data, immigration stats about the distribution of the length of the stay per nation and the source and figures of the expenditure per tourist, is not available so anybody's guess is as good as any. My guess is a lot of transit BKK-DMK-BKK is included in the figures and the expenditure is from King Power's figures. That skews it completely off.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

As said, I think not.

As I said to another optimistic person; how many years in the Thai tourism business ??

I can understand how from the outside it may all look rosy, but most in the tourism sector think otherwise.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Yinn said:

No problem for me. 

His problem.

Yinn, don't leave.

A Thai persons perspective on tourism will be interesting.

Do you believe that Thailand is a good tourism destination compared to say 10 or 20 years ago and deserving of tourists still coming here?

Edited by DLock
dyslexic

20 hours ago, DLock said:

Yinn, do you think Thailand tourism deserves to continue to grow year on year

Yes

given the current state of the country, or do you think the Government needs to feel some drop in tourist numbers

Prayut not care the tourism. Thai people not vote for Prayut. (85/500) Tourist not care about thai government.

to understand that Thailand is just not desirable to tourists these day and make the necessary improvements so that Thailand is once again an attractive destination?

Yinn, do you think Thailand is still a good destination and good value for tourists?

Yes, very good. Have 5 star 160,000 villa to cheap clean room for 500 baht. 

Easy for thai, good for foreigner. 

100 + million will come next three years. 95 million + will have good time!

is same very busy restaurant. Some mistake will happen. Some people disappoint, but most ok. 

Some people like complain. Thailand good for them also! 

I hope you sink.

56 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Yes

Prayut not care the tourism. Thai people not vote for Prayut. (85/500) Tourist not care about thai government.

is same very busy restaurant. Some mistake will happen. Some people disappoint, but most ok. 

I hope you sink.

Do you think there are an areas that Thailand can improve for tourism? 

Let me give you a few examples of things that are driving tourists away.

Safety - Thailand one of the most dangerous countries on earth for road travel

Scams - From the moment we arrive at the airport

Environment - Thailand beaches and National Parks are rubbish dumps

TM30 and 90-day reporting - Not even North Korea has such regulations

Value of the Baht - Thailand is very expensive, especially compared to other places

Corruption - Police

15-day Visa on arrival for Chinese and Indian nationals

Thailand has peaked. There will always be tourists, but the glory days are probably behind them. The tourism industry needs a really check to improve in almost all areas.\

Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Yes

I hope you sink.

Unnecessary. I told you.

You make yourself look the same stupid as the person you call stupid. Understand?

Don't do it. Respect yourself. You don't have to follow their behaviour.

Good to have all points of view on the forum. But if we get angry, we cannot express ourselves in the best way.

So even if you think he is wrong, don't take it personally. I can see his point of view and I can see your point of view. i understand you both.

But if you get angry, you cannot understand what he means. You are only angry.

Maybe he does not use the best words to express his meaning. I think he speaks about the environmental effect of mass tourism on the country and how it affects the local people.

Is the everyday local reaping the benefit or just a privileged few?

As I told you before, when someone is upset, they are not always able to express themselves in the same way. You too.

So don't get angry. We appreciate having your input, I'm sure.

• Like 1