Taking A Pet Out Of Thailand

Sorry if there is already a topic on this - did a search and didn't come up with anything.

I have a friend who wants to take her cat with her when she relocates to Dubai in a few months. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? She has tried contacting airlines but hasn't had any luck finding information. The cat will not be travelling with her as she will be going home to Australia first so she will need to get all paper work done before going (not for a while yet) and then a friend will drop the cat off at the airport on the day it flies. Can pets travel unaccompanied? Any idea on what airline will be most helpful and what other paper work she will need to sort out?

Thanks.

Can't help you with respect to Airline4s but I can tell you re the paperwork for the Thai end of things: what is needed is an export license and health certificate, both of which are issued by the Animal Quarantine Office and easy to get, just have the friend bring the cat and proof of rabies vaccination plus a photocopy of your passport to the Animal Quarantine Office. I don't know where it is located at the new airport but at the old one it was in the Cargo Terminal building. Only open during government working hours. I think the certificates can only be issued a certain number of days before the flight (5 days I think, but not sure).

You need to check on the Dubai end to see what their requirements are for bringing the cat in.

I think pretty well any airline will let you ship a pet as unaccompanied baggage if you have the export license but how well they'll look after the pet is another matter. I know Thai Airways is one of the best regarding letting people bring pets into the cabin, not applicable in your case but they might also prove a good bet for sending the cat as Cargo...give them a call and ask about what provisions are made in the handling of a live animal being shipped.

Good luck

Thanks for that - good info to start with. She was having a hard time coming up with anything. Apparently their are no quarantine issues for the UAE. She actually has two cats but only plans to take one so in a couple of months I will probably on here again trying to help her find a home for the other if she hasn't already managed to find one.

• 1 month later...

the location of the animal quarantine department is in the airport freezone in the new airport.You can get a clearance for just THB50 per pet and would only take 30 minutes if you have all the documents (pet passport, microchip if any, vaccine and health certificates). You can send it on cargo but not sure how much but for excess baggage in Thai airways cost THB265 per kilo including the cage.

About a new home for a cat, I would be hapy to be the second home.

hope this helps.