11 elephants died, 2 survived Khao Yai waterfall

webfact

11 elephants died, 2 survived Khao Yai waterfall

By THE NATION

800_6d29130a2398343.jpg?v=1570509625

Photo Credit:Disaster Response Association

Drones have located the bodies of 11 elephants that fell into the water at Haew Narok falls in Khao Yai National Park on October 5, while only two of the herd have survived.

A barricade will be erected to prevent other wildlife from falling in, said Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa.

“At this point we can confirm that this herd had 13 elephants, 11 fell into the waterfall and died, while only 2 survived and are back in the forest,” Varawut said. Five elephant bodies were found on October 5, with another five later located by the drones along the river.

S__63529002.jpg

A press conference confirming the extent of the tragedy was held on Tuesday morning at Khao Yai National Park’s Nern Hom checkpoint, hosted by Nakhon Nayok governor Nattaphong Sirichana and Prachin Buri governor Phibun Hatthakitkosol, along with officials of Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation as well as the Disaster Response Association.

The park spans Prachin Buri and Nakhon Nayok provinces.

Varawut expressed his sadness about the herd’s drowning, but viewed the danger posed by the falls as beyond anyone’s power to control.

“I have therefore ordered the construction of a barricade to prevent wildlife from falling into the waterfall,” he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377191

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-08
  • Sad 5

in the movie the beach was it not this Khao Yai waterfall that they jumped off and survived?

also when i went on a tour called jungle adventure were we not taken to the same waterfall and told that some falangs had jumped off this waterfall? we were invited to do the same but i respectfully declined.

• Like 1

I read a couple of days ago, on international news, that 2, then 5 elephants drowned in Khao Yai Park while trying to save a baby elephant, now it's 11.

Guess we'll never know the truth.

Edited by mauGR1

"... viewed the danger posed by the falls as beyond anyone’s power to control.

“I have therefore ordered the construction of a barricade to prevent wildlife from falling into the waterfall,” he said."

Does he not see the irony of his self contradiction in this statement?

• Like 2

I am no expert and do not claim to be but i  read many times different things about this wonderful animal, one is that they are  fiercely protective of each other and if as reported a calf slipped over the edge the herd would have gone to its aid, with a calf in tow i do not after reading articles believe you will force a herd to go any way it doesn't want, most people will see this as a tragic accident unless proven other wise, but as we all know it will not be proven other wise.

• Like 1

Earliest reports mentioned the Elephants had been herded into the park.

For some strange reason, there has been no further information provided. 

Edited by Torrens54
Spelling correction.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, canopy said:

Let's not forget this was no natural tragedy. The elephants did not go to the cliffs willingly and were smart enough to never go there on their own. They were deliberately herded by park rangers and forced to this dangerous point where they were scared and died. Why is no one talking about this?

Wouldn't be so sure about them having been herded by park rangers, but, yes, they should have been prompted by some external influence, indeed. A bunch of elephants are highly unlikely to plunge into ravine with clearly audible whitewater stream in it for no reason on their own accord (or whim?).

By the way, the place lived up to its name. Haew Narok = Hell of a Ravine, literally

An earlier report which I read suggested that the elephants were driven by park rangers towards the waterfall to stop them wandering onto the road. The priorities are clearly wrong here.

The road through Khao Yai is packed with traffic especially on holiday weekends.

Perhaps I’m a little old-fashioned but I thought that a “National Park” was meant to be a haven for wildlife but Khao Yai has become little more than a playground for idiotic Bangkok day-trippers