Paperwork for declaring more than USD20,000 at customs.

I need to carry more than $20,000 for an operation that I am booked into in BKK. 

I will draw the currency from my bank and carry that as I have never had a problem carrying and declaring large sums of money. 

However, I have never carried large sums of money into Thailand, usually I stay under the reporting threshold. 

Does anyone have any experience of what the required supporting paperwork is at Thailand customs BKK Airport. 

Due to my operation getting moved to this Friday, I don't have the option to do this any other way. 

Thanks for any help. 

25 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Fly in.  Go to customs counter.  Tell them you need to declare cash above limit.  Sorted.

Thanks. So I can do this with minimal paperwork? At the moment all I have is the bank slip when I made the redrawal. It shows 400 hkd 

1 hour ago, Listree said:

Thanks. So I can do this with minimal paperwork? At the moment all I have is the bank slip when I made the redrawal. It shows 400 hkd 

I think it’s safe to assume that customs will have the necessary paperwork for you to fill out.  

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

I think it’s safe to assume that customs will have the necessary paperwork for you to fill out.  

but will want it in many many little rectangular pieces...? preferably crisp

15 hours ago, tifino said:

but will want it in many many little rectangular pieces...? preferably crisp

Thanks. Though I am none the wiser here. Does immigration require any supporting documents for the cash that I am carrying? 

Whenever traveling internationally with large amounts of cash be prepared to show the origin of the cash. I use online account access to show withdrawal from savings account when asked to verify origin of funds. I also keep a copy of the US Customs declaration.

9 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Whenever traveling internationally with large amounts of cash be prepared to show the origin of the cash. I use online account access to show withdrawal from savings account when asked to verify origin of funds. I also keep a copy of the US Customs declaration.

Thanks. Have the online access ready to show them, should they want to see that. Appreciate your advice. 

For the record, arrived in Suvarnabhumi Airport. 

Went to the red channel. Approached the Customs officer. Told him I wanted to declare currency in excess of the limit for non declaration. 

I was directed to put my bag through the xray machine then was taken to the administration office. 

Made a declaration that detailed all the various currency and amounts I was carrying. Explained the origin and the purpose. Produced the withdrawal slips from the overseas bank. Was prepared to show my online banking, but was not necessary. 

Recieved a stamped copy of the form then left. 

Very pleasant, courtious and efficient service by the customs officers. Took no more than 5 minutes.

Thanks to the others on the site here for advice, especially to AsiaExpat. 

Archived