Mandatory health insurance due for long stay tourists

webfact

UPDATE

Mandatory health insurance due for long stay tourists 

By The Nation

800_d6c4a0425ca0068.png?v=1570723040

File photo/Credit: Tourism Authority of Thailand

Deputy Minister of Public Health Satit Pitutecha said Wednesday (October 9) that the Thai government's long-implemented medical policy for tourists had led to a rise in foreigners seeking medical treatments in the country. 

IMG_8EC031DFD75E-1.jpeg

The Cabinet approved in April a requirement for tourists to be covered by health insurance. The mandatory measure will come into effect on October 31 and the government is now ready to provide the service, he said.

It will be applied to immigrants applying for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” , who will stay in the country for no more than one year.

The pilot project will also be applied to elderly tourists seeking a longer stay in the country, but no more than a year, he said.

Currently, there are about 80,950 tourists seeking long stay in Thailand and the number is expected to increase. 

Satit said elderly foreigners can acquire insurance coverage from both domestic and international firms, or via www.longstay.tgia.org.

The insured amount for out-patients is set at a minimum of Bt40,000 each, which would rise to at least Bt400,000 each for in-patients.

Should they purchase insurance coverage from international insurance companies, the sum insured must not be less than the minimum amounts required in Thailand, he said.

Satit said 14 private insurance companies in Thailand had joined the project. 

The ministry's Department of Health Service Support will create information and application websites, linked to other organisations' in order to provide a one-stop service for tourists. 

The department will provide all relevant information on line, such as terms, conditions, qualifications, and the benefits of health insurance.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377292

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-11
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Provide insurance for existing conditions ... or just go away ... seriously ... why not just say ... "there is a new 20,000 THB fee to live in Thailand, because giving money to an insurance company who will not pay the bill ... is pure folly.

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Hopefully, this will avoid numerous scaremongering, nonsensical posts as in the other threads about the insurance

And certain YT channels that continue to use this issue and other immigration laws to stir up the <deleted> to gain views. Thankfully many understand these channels are all about drama and deal nothing with the truth. The same goes for certain posters here that seem determined to bash everything about Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Where or how exactly are they going to check or verify that you have one. I can just see I’ll have to carry a verified copy of one around with me everywhere I go. So I’ll add that to a copy of my bikes green book, copy of my passport. I hope Honda will come up with a bigger storage space under my seat so there is space for my helmet!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, verticalift said:

For those looking for coverage from insurance providers with offices in T’land, make sure that you read the fine print first. I was looking into this several months ago and found that they will only cover you up to age 70yrs. After 70, they will not cover you. Not very good for those of us in our 60’s. I recently switched from BUPA Global (UK), over to CIGNA in Dubai for my global coverage.

Int’l health care providers with offices outside T’land, unlike their Thai counterparts, will not kick you out at age 70.

I'm 74 and still covered and accepted by Aetna former Bupa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TeaMonkey said:

So confusing. Apart from the Elite visa the maximum you can apply for is 1 year so this seems to include any type of visa. 

Even with the Elite visa do you not have to get your passport stamped every year? Even though the visa is valid for 5+ years, I think the permission to stay is still only valid for 1 year.

So, when will this so called Ministry of health open a service where expats with existing health cover can get a Thai certification of their insurances?

Isn't there some other minister who did 4 years in the slammer in Oz?

Edited by Momofarang
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Even with the Elite visa do you not have to get your passport stamped every year? Even though the visa is valid for 5+ years, I think the permission to stay is still only valid for 1 year.

Yes, just checked and you're right. I don't think there are any visas that allow more than one year of stay.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Hopefully, this will avoid numerous scaremongering, nonsensical posts as in the other threads about the insurance

You are just utterly naive, "no more than a year" simply means "all Non-OA and yearly extensions of stay". Ministry of health speaking they don't know the proper wording for immigration (fecal, more and more) matters.

• Sad 1