Oil change

toast1

I change oil every year, but this year I haven't driven much, just a few thousand miles around town.
Is it still necessary to change my oil?

Can I put it off till 18mo or is this putting my engine in danger?

How often do people change their petrol filter?

Thanks

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use the "dipstick"  to check the colour of the oil  if its still golden then  I would keep using it  till it starts turning dark, if its black already then change the oil.

Petrol filter..never changed one on a car...but if its blocked up then change it..if not leave it alone ????

You get condensation (water) inside the engine, one of the reasons they advise to change at a km reading or 6 months...

Depending on the ride, but for grocery-getters I use this guide..

But basic mineral oil at 5000km..

Semi-synthetic at 10,000km..

Synthetic 10 to 15,000km..

Fuel filter, look in the handbook, you may have a dash warning light for that...

PS. The dark colour of an oil doesn't necessarily mean it's finished..

You could probably put it off until 18 months without causing damage, after all these days with condition based servicing cars can easily go that long or more between changes. But for the small cost I'd get it changed personally.

5 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

You could probably put it off until 18 months without causing damage, after all these days with condition based servicing cars can easily go that long or more between changes. But for the small cost I'd get it changed personally.

18 months is folly.....

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:54 PM, transam said:

You get condensation (water) inside the engine, one of the reasons they advise to change at a km reading or 6 months...

Fuel filter, look in the handbook, you may have a dash warning light for that...

So you can go 10/15th on full syn oil. Funny that as Toyo suggest 5 to 10th for a diesel depending on where/how you use your car. High speed or heavy traffic. The main thing is the filter. That will never last over 10th. As some one pointed out it only cost a few bob so get it done.

Petrol filter it's recommended that you check at 30th if it needs changing do it. If not just keep an eye on it.

All the above is for Toyota Diesel cars. Other makes and models might differ.

9 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

So you can go 10/15th on full syn oil. Funny that as Toyo suggest 5 to 10th for a diesel depending on where/how you use your car. High speed or heavy traffic. The main thing is the filter. That will never last over 10th. As some one pointed out it only cost a few bob so get it done.

Petrol filter it's recommended that you check at 30th if it needs changing do it. If not just keep an eye on it.

I never ever changed a Petrol filter and my car is 24 years old, yes I do just a normal

service every 10 months but I need to change my battery after a few years

6 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Ford Everett is 15,000 km or nine months between services.

I feel that there are too many pub mechanics on this forum.

16 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Ford Everett is 15,000 km or nine months between services.

I feel that there are too many pub mechanics on this forum.

15th sounds quite a lot between services for a Diesel. Normally it's 6th Miles or 10th KM.

Whatever Toyota suggest between 5 and 10th KM depending on how used. Lots of Short runs, high speed runs, or heavy traffic. And that's using Full Syn oil. 

It was the same on the old 3lt Tuna and that use semi Syn oil.

6 hours ago, fredob43 said:

You really should do some homework before posting and read the post you are replying to carefully...

13 minutes ago, transam said:

You really should do some homework before posting and read the post you are replying to carefully...

I did for your information read the post. And I replied accordingly. If you read my post I said the above was for Toyo diesel engines. The OP didn't say what car he had. I just put in what you should do if you had a Toyo Diesel engine.

Re home work I do look in the book, and if it says what you should do I do it. I happen to think that Toyo know a bit more on the cars they make, than some peeps on TVF. 

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I did for your information read the post. And I replied accordingly. If you read my post I said the above was for Toyo diesel engines. The OP didn't say what car he had. I just put in what you should do if you had a Toyo Diesel engine.

Re home work I do look in the book, and if it says what you should do I do it. I happen to think that Toyo know a bit more on the cars they make, that some peeps on TVF. 

Well this is not from me, but it is in miles, you can do the x 1.6 thing.....

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tips-advice/stop-changing-your-oil.html

1 minute ago, transam said:

Well this is not from me, but it is in miles, you can do the x 1.6 thing.....

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tips-advice/stop-changing-your-oil.html

That's on general oil changes. I didn't see anything regarding just Diesel engines. They are a different ball game. I shall look in the book later and give a full update on what Toyo recommend. I will agree that most petrol engines and other makers will have a much different service time. Bit like J21 and his Ford at 15th. Might be that's why we hear about the many problems with Fords, who knows.

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

That's on general oil changes. I didn't see anything regarding just Diesel engines. They are a different ball game. I shall look in the book later and give a full update on what Toyo recommend. I will agree that most petrol engines and other makers will have a much different service time. Bit like J21 and his Ford at 15th. Might be that's why we hear about the many problems with Fords, who knows.

Why do you keep going on about your Toyota, we are talking about oil changes. We all know about handbooks.  I doubt your handbook will give any reference to the use of synthetic oil regarding longevity...

I have posted two links, give them a 'complete' read...

11 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

It does not mention ethanol based fuels either which require more frequent oil changes.

The Revo is 10,000km/6 months.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Why do you keep going on about your Toyota, we are talking about oil changes. We all know about handbooks.  I doubt your handbook will give any reference to the use of synthetic oil regarding longevity...

I have posted two links, give them a 'complete' read...

If you care to read the new book it states that you should now use just Full Syn oil in the 2.4/2.8lt and the recommended time between oil changes is still 5 to 10th KM. Is that good enough for your longevity. Oh and that went for the last 3lt lump. That had semi Syn recommended.

23 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

It does not mention ethanol based fuels either which require more frequent oil changes.

The Revo is 10,000km/6 months.

Question. Can you use ethanol fuel in a Revo. I was advised never to put E/fuel in my car only premium diesel. 

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Question. Can you use ethanol fuel in a Revo. I was advised never put E/fuel in my car only premium diesel. 

I wouldn't, Diesel engines typically don't like gasoline.

Bio-diesel (B10/B20) can be used.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:54 PM, transam said:

+1.

This.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:42 PM, toast1 said:

just a few thousand miles around town.

Short journeys and stop & start traffic are the worst for any motor.

The engines with a million miles on them unmolested are the ones that do the big highway miles with long journeys.

25 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

The engines with a million miles on them unmolested are the ones that do the big highway miles with long journeys.

On our highway tractors we change oil at 250 hours.

Average speed - lets say 50kph - He He (no governor)

Works out to 12,500 km (which is way low - cruise control 10 kph over posted speed limit.

ISX 550 / 600 HP - one has 750,000 one has 550,000 km. Untouched.

Both equipped with Racor 500 primary fuel filters. Factory filters never serviced - with the Racor there is no need.

racor.jpg

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

If you care to read the new book it states that you should now use just Full Syn oil in the 2.4/2.8lt and the recommended time between oil changes is still 5 to 10th KM. Is that good enough for your longevity. Oh and that went for the last 3lt lump. That had semi Syn recommended.

That's interesting, could you post the page that states you must use synthetic in the 2.4/2.8..I thought they still used semi, API SL ....

1 hour ago, transam said:

That's interesting, could you post the page that states you must use synthetic in the 2.4/2.8..I thought they still used semi, API SL ....

On the old model Vigo and Tuna 2.5lt and 3lt they recommended semi syn oil. The new 2.4 and the 2.8lt they now recommend Full Syn. I might have time to look it up it's in the new 600+ page book. If you use Toyo main dealer (I know you don't) that's what they will put in.

I first found this out when I went in for my first service and they said it would be more expensive than my last one as they now had to use Full Syn. I thought here we go another con, They took out my at the time Thai manual that was in the car and showed me. Glad to say it was only peanuts more. Seems Toyo have got a deal on Full Syn: so sell it cheap.

N/B the old engines used to take 6lt of oil new one 8lt. Cost for 10th service on new one is under 2,300 inc. It was still over 2th for the last 3lt one using only 6lt of semi syn oil. So pretty much on par I would say.  

17 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

On the old model Vigo and Tuna 2.5lt and 3lt they recommended semi syn oil. The new 2.4 and the 2.8lt they now recommend Full Syn. I might have time to look it up it's in the new 600+ page book. If you use Toyo main dealer (I know you don't) that's what they will put in.

I first found this out when I went in for my first service and they said it would be more expensive than my last one as they now had to use Full Syn. I thought here we go another con, They took out my at the time Thai manual that was in the car and showed me. Glad to say it was only peanuts more. Seems Toyo have got a deal on Full Syn: so sell it cheap.

N/B the old engines used to take 6lt of oil new one 8lt. Cost for 10th service on new one is under 2,300 inc. It was still over 2th for the last 3lt one using only 6lt of semi syn oil. So pretty much on par I would say.  

"Recommend" is not what I was asking. You said the 2.4/2.8 uses synthetic, I just wanted clarification, NOT what you dealer says.

My ol' Vigo had semi and sometimes syn during it's time with me...What they put in it when new in 2007 I cannot remember, may have been mineral...

At B-Quik I put in Mobil 1 syn....

7 minutes ago, transam said:

"Recommend" is not what I was asking. You said the 2.4/2.8 uses synthetic, I just wanted clarification, NOT what you dealer says.

My ol' Vigo had semi and sometimes syn during it's time with me...What they put in it when new in 2007 I cannot remember, may have been mineral...

72117958_10157140102377740_4886653883461

Archived