80% less social media = 80% greater happiness

Samui Bodoh

Hi All

In the last 6+ months I have, as a conscious effort, cut down my use of social media by around 80%. The results have been remarkable; I feel my general level of happiness has risen around 80%. And yes, I do think that there is a correlation.

Sadly, while I have to say that I use Facebook minimally, Twitter not at all, other social media sites rarely, my main social media site is ThaiVisa. Hmm. Double hmm.

Now, before I state anything negative, let me say that ThatVisa's assistance in regards to visa-related issues is second to none; everything that I know about visas I learned here, and in the many, many years I have been visiting/living here, I have never (NEVER!) had a problem that wasn't my fault. That is one hell of an endorsement and I am grateful to all the members who assist those bureaucratically-challenged such as myself. Thank you thank you thank you!

Notwithstanding the above, I have found that reading ThaiVisa too much has been bringing me down. Sharp-eyed members will recognize my user name frequently from the Thailand news section, the World news section, the occasional foray into the Koh Samui section and the rare leap into the Pub. I used to be a daily contributor in some of those sections, and initially enjoyed the pleasure of crafting something that I hope was as interesting to the many readers as it was for me. However, as time went on, the response wasn't always pleasurable to read; please do not misunderstand me, I don't have (and never have had) an issue with those that disagree with me on a logical or ideological basis, but rather those that simply disagree for no stated reason or for reasons that don't seem based in any rational thought (yes, I mean you, Trumpites :cheesy::cheesy:). It got me down. Further, I have found that the quality of news reporting/news articles in the Thailand section has gone way down; we all know why so I won't get into it. The World news section seems to be Trump/Brexit, Brexit/Trump, Trump/Brexit, Brexit/Trump ad nausea. There are few posters left in the Koh Samui section and I have never been too big on pubs. Finally, I rue the loss of those members who like to take a bit of time and try to write something more comprehensive. Yes, it is possible to say a great deal in a few words, but like it or not sometimes you need to go a little more in-depth to make a point, and that doesn't occur much anymore.

Soooo, I made a conscious effort to limit my time on TVF, to limit my number of posts, to do better at avoiding the members who carp about everything, and to simply get better at giving it all a miss.

What has been the result? I just seem happier. End of.

What else to say? This is my story and it is nice to get it off my chest. i will still read and comment, but just less.

Have a wonderful day in Paradise!

I think its amazing how many people find out that social media is not good - after using it for years.

What took you so long?

That doesn't mean social media is always bad. Some people use it and are happy with it. But it seems the happy people think first what they publish and who they share it with.

Personally I like social media - when others use it. I have just a dummy account with no info at all.

It's amazing how much many working girls publish on facebook, starting with their real name, marriage, children, etc.

And if you know the facebook page of one of the girls look at her friends and you will find many more faces you know...

I took a year off from TVF and slowly reentered the fray after that.  Only a couple of my old trolls were still around and I found things less contentious and easier to ignore.  A break from routines is often a good thing, giving you a new perspective on your life and relationships with others.

I can't say I was 100% happier when I was no longer posting but I am glad I did it.????

Archived