Non o based on child

Realy struggling to find any info so have joined here to ask what I hope is a basic question to the community.. 

Basically been on multiple entry visas for 5-7 month stays for many years work in the UK rest of the year.. Have a Thai girlfriend and 1 son 7 years old born raised in Thailand. girlfriend works.. Can I apply for a non o from the UK based on having a child...? From what I can see will need a copy of the birth certificate.girlfriends I'd card. copy of the house book with letter saying I will be staying at there address. My bank statements showing 20k plus in bank. My proof of UK address and that's it I am hoping?   Or is this not even possible at all? Just trying to get the right visa and keep in check with the system. Any help would be appreciated 

Thank you 

You should be able to get a Non O based on a Thai child if you are named as the father on the Thai birth certificate. In the UK, this can only be a single entry Non O for a single 90-day stay. However, you can do a visa run to several consulates near Thailand to get another visa. You can also apply for 60-day extensions to your 90-day permission to stay at immigration "to visit your child". If you go through a consulate, they need to get sign off from the London embassy before they can issue the visa. If you apply direct through London, you need to use the new (misnamed) e-visa system.

Thank you appreciate the help.. Sounds OK that would give me 5 months. I don't realy want to be going to other consulates outside Thailand penang ect. Is that the best visa I can go for at the moment do you think? Don't fancy getting questioned on the multi entry at the airport! 

16 minutes ago, Simo37 said:

Thank you appreciate the help.. Sounds OK that would give me 5 months. I don't realy want to be going to other consulates outside Thailand penang ect. Is that the best visa I can go for at the moment do you think? Don't fancy getting questioned on the multi entry at the airport! 

I think a single entry Non O is your best option for initial entry to Thailand. After that, you have a few safe options. In addition to the 60-day extension, a border bounce via a friendly land crossing for a 30-day extension (which can also be extended) is a good alternative.

I had hoped the non o having a son would have been bit more on it than just the 90 days... But it seems to make sense to start going this direction the 60 day extension will be handy to get me to 5 months easy enough..After entering will I be stamped with 60 days then need to extend that at immigration for 30 days for 1900 baht .then back again for the 60?   Or just report to immigration or do you get 90 days when land? Do you think going down the marriage route will eventually be the best thing to do? 

3 hours ago, Simo37 said:

I had hoped the non o having a son would have been bit more on it than just the 90 days...

If you are the legal parent (not just named on the birth certificate), and can prove an income of 40K pm or show 400K in the bank you can get a 1 year stay that can be renewed every year.

But it seems to make sense to start going this direction the 60 day extension will be handy to get me to 5 months easy enough..After entering will I be stamped with 60 days then need to extend that at immigration for 30 days for 1900 baht .then back again for the 60?   Or just report to immigration or do you get 90 days when land?

A Single Entry Non O will give you 90 days on entry. Towards the end of the 90 days you can apply for a 60 day extension. At the end of the 150 days you'll need to leave the country or apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

You should have a problem getting repeat Single Entry Non O visas from a country local to Thailand and repeating the 150 day stay.

Do you think going down the marriage route will eventually be the best thing to do? 

Only if you want to get married; not to get a visa. Your priority should be to legalise your parenthood through the local Amphoe or court if you don't plan to get married to the mother anytime soon.

11 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Only if you want to get married; not to get a visa. Your priority should be to legalise your parenthood through the local Amphoe or court if you don't plan to get married to the mother anytime soon.

Do you know the easiest way to do that ?

I have read complicated things about blood tests...    But read somewhere on this forum that at least in the past it was sometimes possible to do this at the same time when registering the birth of the child at the Amphoe. But I could not find more information about how to do that...

3 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

I have read complicated things about blood tests...    But read somewhere on this forum that at least in the past it was sometimes possible to do this at the same time when registering the birth of the child at the Amphoe. But I could not find more information about how to do that...

If your son is 7 you should be able to do it at the Amphoe. Go along to the office and ask what they require. With you girlfriend and child's consent it should be very straightforward and without blood/DNA test.

There's some basic info here: 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If your son is 7 you should be able to do it at the Amphoe.

My child is expected in december ????

I was reading:

There might be amphurs that will accept a registration of the father as the legal father when the father and mother appear at the amphur together to register the birth of the child and ask at the same time that the father be registered as the legal father. It is not according to the law.

and:

if the parents are not married the law wants the father to confirm he is indeed the father. In Thailand that is done by the fahter registering the baby himself.

If someone else registers the baby, the fahter didn't legalise the baby and he is not considered the legal father of the baby.

So remember, if you are not married and want to be the legal father of your child register the baby yourself at the amphur. Registration of a newborn has to be made within 15 days.

and:

the old topic was incorrect and misleading. It mentions incorrectly that you can legitimize a child by registering the birth of a child yourself at the amphur. 

I still don't really understand whether it is possible or not. If possible then this is the easiest way.

24 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

I legalized my son a few months after his birth. You need a lawyer as this is done in a court of law. No blood tests then (this was 12 years ago) but the department for child protection (I forget the correct name) called for witnesses to ascertain my character (girlfriends parents, neighbours, both my juvenile stepdaughters) before the court appearance. In addition a notice concerning the matter was pinned up in the local shop in case anybody could bring up something against it. We were also visited by the child protection unit at home before the court appearance and I think they made a report to the court. The court appearance is very formal, I had three judges presiding and my lawyer wore his fancy robes of black and silver. I was able to speak Thai so didn't need a translator, this is important as you need to swear an oath that you will tell the truth and are questioned by the court. They asked to see the child (blonde haired and blue eyed) with the mother and she was told that she must agree that in the event of a break in our relationship the child would go to me as I was the financially strongest party. When this was done the judges disappeared for 20 minutes, when they came back they told me they had agreed that the legalization could proceed and i would receive the documents a few weeks later. All in all I think the whole thing cost around 30,000 Baht with court costs and lawyers fees.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

My child is expected in december ????

Sorry, I thought I was replying to the OP.

16 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

I was reading:

There might be amphurs that will accept a registration of the father as the legal father when the father and mother appear at the amphur together to register the birth of the child and ask at the same time that the father be registered as the legal father. It is not according to the law.

and:

if the parents are not married the law wants the father to confirm he is indeed the father. In Thailand that is done by the fahter registering the baby himself.

If someone else registers the baby, the fahter didn't legalise the baby and he is not considered the legal father of the baby.

So remember, if you are not married and want to be the legal father of your child register the baby yourself at the amphur. Registration of a newborn has to be made within 15 days.

and:

the old topic was incorrect and misleading. It mentions incorrectly that you can legitimize a child by registering the birth of a child yourself at the amphur. 

I still don't really understand whether it is possible or not. If possible then this is the easiest way.

As far as I understand it you’d need to apply at the court for a new born baby. But if you go to the Amphoe they will tell you what’s needed. With the mother’s consent it’s a very straightforward process.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Simo37 said:

I'm my situation I'm not married but my name is on birth certificate.. Is that enough to get the non o..? 

It is enough to apply for a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate and a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your child.

To apply for a one year extension at immigration your parenthood must be legitimized to apply.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is enough to apply for a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate and a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your child.

To apply for a one year extension at immigration your parenthood must be legitimized to apply.

Thank you for that I take it the easiest way to go legit is to be married? Or can I still legitimise the birth even tho he's now 7? 

8 minutes ago, Simo37 said:

Thank you for that I take it the easiest way to go legit is to be married? Or can I still legitimise the birth even tho he's now 7? 

If he 7 years old the legitimization can be done at an Amphoe. Contact the local Amphoe about getting it done.

Prior to 7 it normally needs to be done at a family court.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Simo37 said:

I did it with my 2 kids years ago. Amphoe just asks your kid some questions. Like who’s your daddy? Fairly easy to do. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simo37 said:

I'm my situation I'm not married but my name is on birth certificate.. Is that enough to get the non o..? 

My countrys embassy gave me a 1 year non-o multi entry only on the birth certificate and about 200k in the bank.Less then 2 years ago.

Get your kid through the court system.More easy visa for you then a marrige visa.If you are married many places will not let you choose the parrent visa.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dimitriv said:

You can go to the juvenile court with your girlfriend and child ,with all their ids and ask to legitimize the child ,takes about 1 month ,lawyer not needed ,costs about 600 baht and then another 50 baht ,it’s very easy to do ,the lawyer would only fill in the form for you and charge about 10:000 for that . The juvenile courts are very friendly and helpful ,worth going and speaking to them . Your girlfriend has to approve it .

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Simo37 said:

I had hoped the non o having a son would have been bit more on it than just the 90 days... But it seems to make sense to start going this direction the 60 day extension will be handy to get me to 5 months easy enough..After entering will I be stamped with 60 days then need to extend that at immigration for 30 days for 1900 baht .then back again for the 60?   Or just report to immigration or do you get 90 days when land? Do you think going down the marriage route will eventually be the best thing to do? 

Can get type O based on having Thai dependent. You will need 400k in the bank, but it is a 1 year visa and is independent of a work permit.

Edited by revup
I thought I spelled dependent wrongly.

Just recently spoke with the consulate in hull about this, you need the birth certificate translated to english, thats what they emailed me, aswell as a bank statement, copy of passport, 2 passport size photos and the application form filled in. Didnt ask for any of my wifes identification.

32 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

Just recently spoke with the consulate in hull about this, you need the birth certificate translated to english, thats what they emailed me, aswell as a bank statement, copy of passport, 2 passport size photos and the application form filled in. Didnt ask for any of my wifes identification.

Are you sure they will do a multiple entry Non O? It was my understanding that consulates were no longer allowed to provide multiple entry Non O visas. (And, since the new "e-visa" system does not support ME Non O visas, you cannot get one from London either.) It would be great news if consulates have been given permission to accept applications for multiple entry Non O visas again.

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

If you are the legal parent (not just named on the birth certificate), and can prove an income of 40K pm or show 400K in the bank you can get a 1 year stay that can be renewed every year.

A Single Entry Non O will give you 90 days on entry. Towards the end of the 90 days you can apply for a 60 day extension. At the end of the 150 days you'll need to leave the country or apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

You should have a problem getting repeat Single Entry Non O visas from a country local to Thailand and repeating the 150 day stay.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 40K monthly salary has been cancelled and it's not just the 400K for 3 months. 

9 minutes ago, Benbkk26 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 40K monthly salary has been cancelled and it's not just the 400K for 3 months. 

The income of 40k baht is still accepted.

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The income of 40k baht is still accepted.

The 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months.

When I applied for mine last year, when in the UK embassy getting some documents signed they told me the 40K income will no longer be accepted after April 2019. 

Edited by Benbkk26

I am in the same situation as the OP, except that my son was born in Australia . We ( his Thai mother and I ) moved to Thailand when he was 8 months . He has all the local village paperwork , Thai passport etc and has attended school since 4 y.o. I will be going back to Thailand soon , after 2 years back in Oz , and hope to initially get a non o based on Thai child , then retirement down the track . Will that be possible ?

Edited by gimo
add info

1 minute ago, Benbkk26 said:

When I applied for mine last year, when in the UK embassy getting some documents signed they told me the 40K income will no long me accepted April 2019. 

You got some wrong info from somebody. I got an extension in August using the 40k baht income option.

I showed bank statements proving my income coming into the country for 12 months.