Best Tefl Program Bangkok

Experienced English teachers send me some input ( wisdom) to offer to my friends that wish to come to Thailand for 1-2 years, teach English and get their certs. What is the best TEFL mill in Bangkok? This will help me to point them in the right direction.

I keep hearing from a friend in my Moo Baan that he uses only TEFL for his uni job.

Appreciate input for me pals.

Thanks TV members.

:o

Be very careful. Bashing of individual schools without some iron-clad data is not allowed in the Teacher's Forum. If your friend has managed to get a job with a TEFL and without a degree, then he's managed to do it. If the Thai government has given him a work permit and a visa, he is officially qualified enough. Congratulations.

As I've said before on threads of this type, it's very unlikely that any person on this forum has done TWO TEFL courses, so it's really pretty unlikely that anyone can say that Course A is definitely better than Course B. Shop around, be a careful consumer, and report back your experiences later.

"S"

Be very careful. Bashing of individual schools without some iron-clad data is not allowed in the Teacher's Forum. If your friend has managed to get a job with a TEFL and without a degree, then he's managed to do it. If the Thai government has given him a work permit and a visa, he is officially qualified enough. Congratulations.

As I've said before on threads of this type, it's very unlikely that any person on this forum has done TWO TEFL courses, so it's really pretty unlikely that anyone can say that Course A is definitely better than Course B. Shop around, be a careful consumer, and report back your experiences later.

"S"

Fishy is bashing? Anyway, I have met a few people in ESL over the years. I taught a few classes in Master's programs ( business and management) not related too much to English. Only the medium of instruction..

Me remember some teachers at NIDA holding several certs TEFL, TESOL, CELTS, etc...

Most also had in-house training programs from the schools ( Japan, UK, Thailand, Korea, etc...) they had perviously taught English in before. I assume diploma or cert courses accredited toward their profession.

I just have lots of people that I know asking me for a suggested institute that can get them the right program.

Let me just ask a friend Uni for assistance. Thanx.

You've made two negative remarks with no justification about a TEFL provider in Thailand. If we ask you why you have made those remarks, it will ignite a flame war, as I doubt you have any solid reason to doubt them, do you? If I say nothing, others who have more vested interests will no doubt step in and then there will still be a flame war. I am removing the comments you have made about a particular provider. If others wish to comment on providers, they may; but this thread will not be a platform for an attack on a particular TEFL provider (ANY of them).

"S"

A few facts (no bashin')

Text and Talk is the oldest local provider of TESOL courses in the country.

Their website is terrible - fishy - and looks more like the billboard outside a used car lot.

Their course is comparable in content, duration and quality to a Cambridge CELTA.

Their offices in Lad Phrao could use a new coat of paint.

Their graduates ALL speak very highly of the course, particularly of the localised content and orienteering.

Their graduates readly find employment in the better schools in the country and get well paid corporate jobs.

Their courses are competitively priced.

And this poster has really got nothing to do with T&T at all :Djing jing.

In the last four of five years a plethora of TESOL courses has appeared in Thailand ranging from the hippy beach party type to the straight university course. They ALL provide a similar syllabus and with the exception of one, they all fall within the same price range.

Here are some of the others, they all have web sites, you can look them up:

• ECC (provider of the cambridge University CELTA course)
  • AUA
  • SEE
  • TEFLPlus
  • ELITE (provider of the cambridge University CELTA course)
  • TEFL INternational
  • Chichester College
  • TEFL World
  • TEFL Krabi
  • International House (provider of the cambridge University CELTA course)
  • Stamford College
  • Chiang Mai University (excessively priced)
  • EDBA (FREE but for employees only)

100s of courses are now being offered on-line. Many of them are worthless, offering 40 and 60 hour certificates for the same cost as the 'real' 120 hour courses listed above and none provide teaching experience. The better schools in Thailand now insist upon 120 hour face-to-face courses of the kind listed above.

Here are a couple of links to recent articles:

diploma mills and and why they are best avoided: HERE

Find out if your TESOL certification is acceptable: HERE - looks as if T&T has some fans here too :o

A few facts (no bashin')

Their website is terrible - fishy - and looks more like the billboard outside a used car lot.

Their course is comparable in content, duration and quality to a Cambridge CELTA.

Their graduates ALL speak very highly of the course, particularly of the localised content and orienteering.

Their graduates readly find employment in the better schools in the country and get well paid corporate jobs.

In the last four of five years a plethora of TESOL courses has appeared in Thailand ranging from the hippy beach party type to the straight university course. They ALL provide a similar syllabus and with the exception of one, they all fall within the same price range.

• AUA
  • SEE
  • TEFLPlus
  • TEFL INternational
  • Chichester College
  • TEFL World
  • TEFL Krabi
  • Stamford College

100s of courses are now being offered on-line. Many of them are worthless, offering 40 and 60 hour certificates for the same cost as the 'real' 120 hour courses listed above and none provide teaching experience. The better schools in Thailand now insist upon 120 hour face-to-face courses of the kind listed above.

Find out if your TESOL certification is acceptable: HERE - looks as if T&T has some fans here too :o

Chaichara thanks for the information. Exactly what kind of reply I was looking for.

:D

One minor update to the generally very good post above. T and T's offices are on Phahonyothin Road not Ladphrao and they have two buildings. They moved from the old building (which needed a lick of paint) to a new building about a year or so ago.

I've seen a couple of these TEFL course debates surface (again!!) recently and there seems to be a lot of mention about their websites. It's a sad reflection on today's society in my opinion that people are making judgements on the websites rather than the product at the end of it.

One minor update to the generally very good post above. T and T's offices are on Phahonyothin Road not Ladphrao and they have two buildings. They moved from the old building (which needed a lick of paint) to a new building about a year or so ago.

I've seen a couple of these TEFL course debates surface (again!!) recently and there seems to be a lot of mention about their websites. It's a sad reflection on today's society in my opinion that people are making judgements on the websites rather than the product at the end of it.

Any outfit that wants to stay competitive these days that is advertising over the net and doesn't have a professional looking site deserves the loss in business it is most likely experiencing.

RSA CELTA.

This is proably the most well known TEFL and is accepted world wide. You can't go wrong doing this one. If you want to teach children, just do the extra module. Some very well known TEFL providers here offer TEFL's that are very highly accepted here, but not even heard of in other countries, so be carefull, do a course that is felxible and can be used if it is decided to teach in another country at a later stage..........

A few facts (no bashin')

• AUA
  • SEE
  • TEFLPlus
  • TEFL INternational
  • Chichester College
  • TEFL World
  • TEFL Krabi
  • Stamford College

Chiang Mai University is excessivley priced?! It cost 42,000 baht in Chiang Mai, and I think they are offering a reduced price in Bangkok. That is cheaper than average for a 120 hour TEFL course.