Favourite Thai City, Town, Village?

coldcrush

Hiya All,

what is your favourite Thai city, town and why?

Mine is and always will be Chiang Mai...From looking out the window on arrival to driving round the moat...Everyday waking to see Doi Suthep in the distance is great.... Also it has an excellent Scooter scene, my Thai friend who is more into big bikes got me my beautiful Vespa called Britney as she was a good ride. Also Mountain biking is class in CM, you can also pop outside to the lakes and enjoy chilling out for a weekend, eating well and catching up with the local owner... All round CM is good and I long to be there again....2 weeks, but whos counting....

:o

I like Chiang Mai because it's good.

Once again full explanations......dry, yet not funny Aus....

Do not just reply to a thread because you feel obligated, contribute to it....

Edited by lopburiguy

Sorry.. :o

I like Chiang Mai for the weather (cooler from Oct-March).

For the affordable International Schools.

The big country town atmosphere.

The abundance of great fruit and veg.

Great Thai and Farang restaurants.

I know a lot of mates here.

Everywhere is close by.

Magnificent temples.

Good logistical infrastructure for my occupation.

And i just like it. :D

The people are (mostly) friendly as well.

Edited by Austhaied

Sorry.. :o

I like Chiang Mai for the weather (cooler from Oct-March).

For the affordable International Schools.

The big country town atmosphere.

The abundance of great fruit and veg.

Great Thai and Farang restaurants.

I know a lot of mates here.

Everywhere is close by.

Magnificent temples.

Good logistical infrastructure for my occupation.

And i just like it. :D

The people are (mostly) friendly as well.

See, longer than 3 words does feel good doesnt it!

Have a Nice day Aus :D

My favorite place in Thailand is my village because it is very laid back and peaceful. The surronding countryside is also very beautiful.

If I move somewhere else then that will become my favorite place :o

My favorite town would have to be Thap Sakae as I have an absolute obsession with coconut palms and the people who love them. The squid is delicious, there is a delightful lack of farang, and the police are too comfortable to venture outdoors. The seaside is lovely in the afternoon and the stank of drying little fish keeps away the crowds. Ah, Thap Sakae!

My favorite town would have to be Thap Sakae as I have an absolute obsession with coconut palms and the people who love them. The squid is delicious, there is a delightful lack of farang, and the police are too comfortable to venture outdoors. The seaside is lovely in the afternoon and the stank of drying little fish keeps away the crowds. Ah, Thap Sakae!

Yes I like it down there it is a beautiful place, better than some of the further southern places....but I will keep stumphhh. You are lucky to find somewhere quiet down that way, i went to Pran Buri, that was ok. Hau Hin is well over run now tho....A good few years back that was a nice town as well, apparently the fastest growing city in Thailand now...watch they dont head down your way mdeland!

For me it has to be my previous hometown of lampang.

Chiang Mai has a lot going for it and is a top town, as Austhaied mentioned, but it's just too crowded and there seem too many foreigners for it to seem genuinely 'Thai' to me...

Anyhow, why lampang is the best pour moi - quiet, good local market, cheap, friendly locals (they're not cheap by the way, the cost of living is), beautiful ladies, a range of weather (cool, not too humid), stunning countryside and NPs' to visit, closeness to CM when you want to catch a foreign movie and grub, large amount of schools/colleges = many tasty young phillies + excellent farang expat teaching community... all in all, very calm and genuine Thai experience but not too far removed from the 1st world (only 90km from CM). farangs are liked/respected and still cause local heads to turn as opposed to tuts and head shakes.

I'm not a sea person at all, it's cool mountains and lakes for me.

Jim

just curious...what happened to Lopburi? is that not your fav place? if not then whats your connection to it :D

my fav place? hmmm

in terms of short holiday then Id say...... Naan. absolutely beautiful place, kinda has that tranquil air to it...like you are shut off from the rest of the world :o

I also like Krabi for its amazing beaches :D and well Bangkok...without the traffic and air pollution would be perfect .....it works for me also cos this is where I can find the interesting work (as opposed to elsewhere in thailand) Huahin would be another city I enjoyed...cos life there was relatively slow paced and weather is better than bangkok...yet wasnt too far to make a weekend trip up to bangkok when I felt like it :D

I'm usually not too fond of "touristy" places, but I'll have to make an exception: I just came back from four days in Sukothai (the old city). Rented a bicycle and explored the National Historical Park as well as many of the highways and byways in the immediate countryside.

My overall impression is that this is the friendliest place I have been to anywhere in Thailand. People there really take the "Land of Smiles" motto seriously. Kids and adults everywhere there continually smiled and greeted me with an enthusiastic "hello." In addition, I was treated with utmost courtesy, honesty, and helpfulness by absolutely everyone--from vendors, to restaurant owners, songthaew drivers, museum attendants, etc. Even the Thai person I was with remarked how unusually friendly and genuinely helpful everyone seemed to be.

I've now explored nearly every nook and cranny of this area, but will probably go back again in the future just to soak up the good "vibes" from the Thai folks there. As to knowing what really impresses out-of-towners, these folks have really got it together.

If you value the "people contact factor" highly in your vacation priorities, this is the place to try out.

Edited by toptuan

for the surroundings and the lifestyle: Chaing Mai and Chiang Rai

for the friendlyness of the people: Udon Thani

biggest disappointment: Koh Chang (okay, maybe cause it was rainy season.....)

Edited by THAILIBAN

Best lifestyle: Bangkok

worse for lungs than the three packs of Marlboro i smoke daily.

Wow, so you mean you could stay in Bangkok and at the same time voluntarily cut out 50% of your personal pollution intake? :o

Bangkok can get a bit polluted to say the least, however by the looks of Chiang Mai at the minute, not much difference!

The air in Chiang Mai seemed better than Bkk, that's what I felt. What I didn't like about it were the limited options and services available, discos (could never feel better than in the RCA area for evening entertainment), shopping, food (BTW, I like thai food but not the northern thai food), cinemas (beat the Ultra Screens in Siam Paragon if you can :D ), activities, etc. What can I say? I'm a city boy :D

Bangkok can get a bit polluted to say the least, however by the looks of Chiang Mai at the minute, not much difference!

The air in Chiang Mai seemed better than Bkk, that's what I felt. What I didn't like about it were the limited options and services available, discos (could never feel better than in the RCA area for evening entertainment), shopping, food (BTW, I like thai food but not the northern thai food), cinemas (beat the Ultra Screens in Siam Paragon if you can :D ), activities, etc. What can I say? I'm a city boy :D

Seems like you have what you like sorted, goodluck to you...Bangkok does have the activities!

The air in CM at the moment so I am told by some residents is pretty bad with the burning going on?

:D