Power outage Bangrak Choengmon

A wide area inc Maenam & Baan Tai went off around 1700 until 2000hrs this evening. Calls to the PEA hotline were vague, other than to acknowledge that they were aware and to stab at 90 min guesswork as to when it would be back.

This was the 2nd outage in less than a week. The last one was for 90 mins on Sunday.

• Like 1

Was on and off early hours (from 3am) this morning. UPS beeping woke me up. All back on by 7am.

Seems to be a lot of outages again lately. I thought that we had seen the last of this with the new undersea cables from the mainline. But I suppose all this is caused by the rain we are having now the 'wet' season has arrived.

Better check all my emergency lights and power banks are topped up and working OK. 

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

Was on and off early hours (from 3am) this morning. UPS beeping woke me up. All back on by 7am.

Seems to be a lot of outages again lately. I thought that we had seen the last of this with the new undersea cables from the mainline. But I suppose all this is caused by the rain we are having now the 'wet' season has arrived.

Better check all my emergency lights and power banks are topped up and working OK. 

Local outages has nothing to do with an underwater cable that supply a major part of the island.

It's rainy season, and during rainy season one shall expect power cuts due to weather conditions; wet palm leafs, and other trees, touching electric cables has been mentioned earlier as a cause.

The power supply has however improved a lot, both due to more high power lines, and probably better maintenance, and the extra supply to the island by the new underwater cable to Maenam Power Station. I can clearly remember how it was before – just about a decade ago – with multiple short cuts only lasting seconds, but long enough to spoil sensitive electric equipment without UPS, and almost daily local outages from a hour to a couple of hours. Also the voltage stability is much better now – i.e. more reliable around 220 volt.

????

I think there is more to it than just the rainy weather. This morning the power was out from 5 to 7 am. I was told it was island wide. And tomorrow there should be a power cut during the whole day. Also island wide... I don't know for sure but there were rumours around about that. So something big must be going on. But as it seems nobody knows anything in details about it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, phetphet said:

This mornings outage was not due to weather but planned maintenance, notified in advance by the PEA

S__3555333.jpg

My girlfriend just told me that there was actually a PEA announcement that there would be a power cut in the early hours of Saturday morning, so that is probably what it was.

Edit... Just seen TMoney's post

Edited by phetphet
Added extra info.

5 hours ago, Carlos Primeros said:

I was told it was island wide.

Not that island wide that it covered my area – I came home little before 4 am, still power, and checked mail and news till slightly after 5 am, still power. The girls woke up at that time to prepare for a tempel visit, no power cut – but at the morning market there were no power; it was so cozy, just like in old time, each stall had a candlelight or two...????

There are several underwater power lines to Samui now, one major one comes it at Maenam, and power is re-distributed from there in lower voltage high-voltage lines. Two or three older high power underwater cables come in the southern part, the original transformer station, and is re-distributed from there.

I think it would be unlikely that all three or four cables, and both transformer stations, are serviced at the same time...????

5 hours ago, Carlos Primeros said:

And tomorrow there should be a power cut during the whole day.

Not a nice warming for a Sunday, no Thaivisa access...????

• 1 month later...