What do you do at the weekend?

corkman

Hi All,

I am a functional alcoholic. It's not hard for me to "not start" drinking, but once I start then one is too many and 1000 are not enough.

My biggest challenge is that I get bored at the weekend, and miss social interaction. So I end up drinking with friends and every session turns into an all night bender through to the following morning.

What so you do at the weekend to distract yourself?

I'm not into sports, so joining a football team isn't going to cut it (and would probably just lead to beers after the game, haha).

I live in the Bangkok.

I don't own a car, but can easily hire one.

Thanks.

Without knowing your financial restraints it's hard to comment. If you have a daily allowance of 500 baht it's a bit different to 5,000 baht. Personally my week days are mostly the same as the weekends - watch tv series, play with daughter, watch NCAA football and go out on the pink Big C pushbike with the family on the back. 

Edited by RichardColeman

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Without knowing your financial restraints it's hard to comment. If you have a daily allowance of 500 baht it's a bit different to 5,000 baht. Personally my week days are mostly the same as the weekends - watch tv series, play with daughter, watch NCAA football and go out on the pink Big C pushbike with the family on the back. 

Hi Richard.

I have a good salary. On a night out, I typically run up a bill in the region of 15,000 - 20,000 (for two people). Obviously, that's a ridiculous amount to spend. Too much in fact. It compromises my spending in other areas. 

I would like to spend in the region of 20k a month in entertainment, rather than 20k a week.

Thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I dont 'distract ' myself at weekends.  Weekends for me are just the days I restrict my driving, due to the more than normal number of idiots on the roads  and avoid crowds in the shops, apart from that, they are much like every other day. I stopped drinking alcohol a while back, so that isn't an influence on me.  For me a day is usually gym, meet friends for coffee, golf sometimes, deep sea fishing some weeks, diving, an occasional meal out. My days are full so the temptation to drink, (not that I have it) would be minimal.  

Thanks for the reply.

"gym, meet friends for coffee, golf sometimes, deep sea fishing some weeks, diving, an occasional meal out." 

Sounds like a "list" that aligns well with my interests.

Golf is something I've thought about taking up, but I am afraid it will just lead to another excuse to drink at the 19th hole..... any golfing stories I hear usually involves drinking stories too!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, corkman said:

Thanks for the reply.

"gym, meet friends for coffee, golf sometimes, deep sea fishing some weeks, diving, an occasional meal out." 

Sounds like a "list" that aligns well with my interests.

Golf is something I've thought about taking up, but I am afraid it will just lead to another excuse to drink at the 19th hole..... any golfing stories I hear usually involves drinking stories too!

Golf I find to be the moist frustrating game in the world. Here its often too hot to play, so I wait for cloudy days (like today) and then get a couple of mates together to play. I'm still rubbish at it, even after years of trying.  True that it's enough to turn a man to drink. 

I’m guessing you work during the week, and that forces some discipline during the week.

I’d recommend cycling, but the best you could hope for would be starting later in the afternoon.

If you want to Not Drink, I’d recommend Alcoholics Anonymous; if you want to drink sensibly, I’d recommend cycling, and accepting it won’t work on Sundays

15 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Lol. It's funny how the world has changed now, grown men meeting for coffee.

And holding hands while they pray? Yep, the world has become a terrible place.

BTW, why should grown men not have a coffee? Is it too girlie in your eyes?

Is it okay when they meet for some beer, or hard stuff, can't get enough stuff?

OP, there's no such thing as a functioning alcoholic. 

If you could stop now, you'd function. Anything else are only excuses.

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

find some good dank and substitute it for the booze. learn a new hobby or past time. start a course in school. learn how to woodwork. get a old beat up car and restore it. learn how to garden. volunteer at a school. take long rides into small communities and talk with the local people. travel to neighboring countries. workout. learn another language. find some new friends who you share interests with and build a new relationship. i just moved back to thailand a few months ago only to find that most of my thai friends have died since i left. life can be cruel to all of us but it doesn't have to be empty.

or plunge head strong into the booze and hope you can drown your sorrows. 

life is what you make of it. our time on this rock is so limited. don't look back and realize how much of it you wasted on frugal things. 

find a few women to poke. get a new gik or mia noi. 

watch the wizard of oz and play the soundtrack to floyd. 

• Haha 1

OP, been on that track a lot in my life, often intertwined with work, as if we needed any extra encouragement to fall into a pub.  All good fun, for a while, but it'll turn to s**t once you get a bit older.  Nobody wants to become "that" guy, right? 

Which was the glide slope I was on.  Extracted myself from the drink/hangover/drink cycle about a year and a half ago.  Abstaining wasn't my goal, maybe not yours either.  I just needed to get a grip, throttle back, and went a bit high and right at first to get it done.  Filled the hole with exercise, biking, etc., and eventually that became my new normal.

Never been much of a beer-in-the-fridge drink at home alone guy, so didn't have to overcome that.  Wife isn't a drinker, that's helpful.

You just gotta decide, and find something to substitute it with. It's a mind game, but you CAN do it, and it gets easier with time.

Edited by 55Jay

12 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Lol. It's funny how the world has changed now, grown men meeting for coffee.

what a very old fashioned view, something my old Dad would probably have said in 1960.  Catch up mate. 

16 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

what a very old fashioned view, something my old Dad would probably have said in 1960.  Catch up mate. 

Catch up? Haha, you mean I'm missing out? It's not 'old fashioned' at all..Unless you are meeting someone for a specific reason arranging to meet other men for a coffee just to talk about the price of cheese is completely gay. Period.

• Sad 1

On 10/20/2019 at 8:56 AM, corkman said:

I don't own a car

Been an alcoholic ,thats a great thing,

Take up DIY, it will keep you busy at

the weekends.

Sitting in a bar drinking all night and

into the morning,your wasting your life

and not doing your health any good.

regards worgeordie

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Sounds to me like a person in denial, I wonder about what?   

Isn't it time you rounded up Jezza and Rupert for your coffee morning...you are in no position to question anyone's sexuality old bean. Do you have your own sofa area where you all congrogate. Seriously, it's as gay as it gets.

• Haha 1