Spray painting your license plate

khunbillmex

Over the past month or so I have noticed more and more vehicles ( here in KK) that have white paint sprayed over the numbers  on their plates. The reason of course is obvious but is the practice illegal ?   (In the US the practice is more subtle as a clear/transparent but highly reflective spray is used.)

tampering with or altering the original registered number is illegal and would not be taken lightly by the Thailands transport department or the RTP. 

however, just  spraying or painting to assist in clarity wouldn't be scrutinized.

no big deal ….  

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

spraying or painting to assist in clarity wouldn't be scrutinized.

Even touching up faded black letters will cost you Tea money as will painting the car and not changing the registration documents

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, saengd said:

Talk to any driver with such plates and they'll tell you it's a paint peeling problem stemming from the manufacturer, the black paint peels off...it's not me, guv, 'onest!

Had my plates replaced a few years ago as they faded to white.

Was a supplier issue.

You are in Thailand. It has the same legal status as 3 kids on a motorbike ( naturally no helmets ), ghost driving, driving on the hard shoulder and many others. Not to mention that at least they have number plates, round here they are an optional extra.

2 minutes ago, dcsw53 said:

You are in Thailand. It has the same legal status as 3 kids on a motorbike ( naturally no helmets ), ghost driving, driving on the hard shoulder and many others. Not to mention that at least they have number plates, round here they are an optional extra.

And if they have been tampered with or obscured one can expect a fine.

Have had many.

Our car's Khon Kaen number plate is probably one of those that the OP would view as being 'sprayed over'. 

In reality, it's not sprayed at all but has faded - not peeled - over the 4 1/2 years of its life. I see many other KK plates that have similarly faded. Perhaps its a faulty manufacturing process but, in most cases I've seen, it's definitely NOT because they've been 'sprayed over'.

People who drive long distance or even up here in CM are getting tired of the obvious. Up here there is almost literally a camera every 50 meters or so. I now refuse to drive to Bangkok as we got 4 tickets in the mail last time for those ridiculous speed trap areas which are everywhere.

Now we are reserved to the fact that we will fly to BKK and rent a car especially now that Thailand will have a point system coming in. I am thinking about, or more dreaming of a modification as well, but spray painting I won't touch as it doesn't help with the zoom. Now if it naturally happens so be it. 

The reflective spray doesn't work check out mythbusters.

My cousin took his plate off for a while only to be stopped and fined 1000 baht.

Problem here is they also have police with cameras and about 1km up the road a police check so if you had a unreadable numberplate you would be in more trouble than speeding (500 baht)

People are definitely spraying them. In Bangkok I've seen 2019 models with the licence plate completely white and very obviously sprayed. I'm guessing getting caught is unlikely and would only be 200 Baht 'fine' anyway.

• Sad 1

You only need to be doing 101kph for a ticket which when the road is empty is only just over 60mph on a 3 lane road.

I learnt this by getting the full house(4 tickets )on a trip to Bangkok now i just set cruise control to 100kph and haven't had a ticket for 2 years

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

People are definitely spraying them. In Bangkok I've seen 2019 models with the licence plate completely white and very obviously sprayed. I'm guessing getting caught is unlikely and would only be 200 Baht 'fine' anyway.

1000 baht for no plate so sprayed be probably be the same

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Even touching up faded black letters will cost you Tea money as will painting the car and not changing the registration documents

Naw, the testing stations touch up fading letters all the time, the plates have to be in good condition in order to pass.

You don't need to paint over the plate. The black paint is a different type of paint then the base white color. All you need is lacquer thinner and the black will just rub right off leaving white. If you do it correctly you can get a black faded look that looks like a paint failure. I only discovered this as I was trying to clean some road tar off my motorcycle. 

Repainting the letters on a Thai number plate comes under a law prohibiting the alteration of an official document. Despite the relatively easy temptations of the DIY fix and some testing stations doing it as part of the inspection, it is illegal. Arguably if it was done properly, it would pass muster but there's always the more persistent cop who will keep looking for something. I think a small industry sprang up in 2010/11 when there was a more serious paint fail on new number plates. Back then it was the whole white reflective background de-laminating and some people waited well over 6 months for new plates (I did!). Hence the BiB turning a blind eye to plates touched up at testing stations and even the totally fake perspex ones.

Two months ago I was pulled over during an overnight trip. I hadn't been speeding so wondered what was up but eventually a cop came over and explained that my washed-out number plates were unreadable and I should get them replaced. They're 4 years old but started fading maybe 2 years ago. Anyway, I was allowed to leave. No fines, nada. Apparently you can't be fined for having plates that have obviously deteriorated but you can be fined if you paint them, have fake 'temporary' ones or take them off.

I went to the local DLT and ordered new plates with 60-day delivery date. The clerk advised me to photo copy their receipt for the new plates and keep a copy in the car in case a "more persistent cop" kicks off.

Edited by NanLaew