Americans - have you gotten a new passport in Bangkok lately?

bender92

Exactly 18 months ago, I had to obtain a new passport as I was running out of pages. Went to Chiang Mai Consulate and the entire process was very easy and simple. However, they would not let me do the mail option. The rep said that they only allow picking it up with them. Which I had no problem doing that. As sometimes, things going through the Thai system comes up missing. So I wanted to be safe, since the consulate was handling it. It took exactly 8 days and then they emailed me and said it was ready to be picked up. Now, things might of changed since I did mine 18 months ago. Just check with the consulate and they will tell you.

American Citizen Service (ACS) ceased doing outreach visits. 

Now you will need to make an appointment online and visit ACS to submit application for new passport - I believe they have a downloadable application form on their website.   If you do not arrange for them to mail your new passport (if I recall correctly, they will retain your old one at time of application if you wan it mailed, otherwise you keep it), they will email you that your new passport is available for pick up. 

No need to make an appointment to pick it up - simply print out the email they sent you and present it at the window at the entrance (when I did that, they had a list with my name on it at the window and they highlighted it and allowed entry). When you pick up the new passport, they will "void" your old one.

As another reference point, I renewed my US passport in May this year at the US embassy in BKK. It took less than two weeks from the visit date to receive my new passport in the mail (delivered locally by courier).  If you intend to do the request in person at the embassy in BKK (vs by mail), suggest going online to the embassy's ACS (American Citizen Services) website and reserve your passport service visit (date/time) earlier than later.  Not uncommon for next available openings to be 2-3 weeks away. 

I got a new one last Feb. 15. I filled out a form I got online printed it made an appointment with the consulate went in gave them the paper work took pictures. They had me go to the Thai postal booth there in the consulate and get a pre-paid self addressed envelope gave them everything and about 10 days +/- got my passport back in the mail...

I have to admit I was surprised they suggested mailing a passport especially in Thai post with the problems as mentioned already that I also have experienced but it worked out just fine...

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/

Guess that answers that one!

then why when you click the link for Adult Passport Renewal does it take you to this page and the 1st thing you must do is "Check Eligibility" for mail service? ???? gotta love governments all over the world

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

ETA: How do they void your old passport if you can't go pick up the new 1? If they void it when you apply then you're here illegally during the wait time and if they don't, you're illegally holding 2 valid American passports.

19 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

and if they don't, you're illegally holding 2 valid American passports.

Just to point out there is nothing illegal in having more than one valid American passport.  I had several during working life and businessmen often do in order to obtain visas when traveling on current passport.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 7:33 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

what about the letter needed to transfer current extension of stay to the new passport?

I'm not sure what you mean about the letter. After I received my passport back in the mail I took it out to immigration and they re-stamped the new passport with the same info...I can't recall now but there may have been a nominal charge..

1 hour ago, armadillo215 said:

I'm not sure what you mean about the letter. After I received my passport back in the mail I took it out to immigration and they re-stamped the new passport with the same info...I can't recall now but there may have been a nominal charge..

You normally receive a letter from your Embassy asking that above service be provided and immigration may ask for it if not presented.  There is no charge for this service.

I just renewed my US Passport this month (November 2019). All the information you need is on the US Embassy Bangkok Thailand website including the forms to fill out & the cost. You will need to make an appointment for services on the calendar located in the passport section of the website. My appointment was on 4 November and I picked up my new passport on 14 November. Passports are picked up on Thursdays only. I chose to pick mine up because I needed to keep my old passport with me for travel purposes. If you want your passport mailed to you, you will be required to surrender your old passport the day of your initial appointment.

Archived