Tourist numbers well on track statistics show

webfact

10 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Oh great- so you are one of those who don't give a hoot for 1000's of workers on Patpong or Nana, as long as TAT did a "brilliant job" in attracting quality tourists!

Yeah...right!

That happened!

They cleaned up their act!

Yup...tooootally!

You mean like, getting rid of sunbeds and umbrellas (and the beach cleaning), so that the quality tourists don't have to  look at the low- lives, who block their view on the ocean!?

Yes, now you're getting it!

The workers in Patpong and Nana have moved to greener pastures, fortunately.  These bar areas, which in any event represent a tiny fraction of Thailand's economy, are desperate for staff (so much for the economy tanking).  Unemployment is at around 1%, and you don't hear of many Thais having difficulty finding work (I'm in Bangkok, so my experience is anecdotal to what I see in the workplace and read in the press).

7 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

Are they also hanging around in the big shopping malls (who are also mainly empty, if you are being honest)!?

"...if you are being honest..."

Now we've got some poster who, if his claim is to be believed, must be hanging around all the malls and doing surveys; that's the only way that he would know and the only way that his claim could have any credence (if you're being honest)!  But, of course, he has no idea what the traffic is through all of Bangkok's malls.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

I have no anti Thai agenda so your opening remarks are moot.

My gripe is actually with the projected tourist spend , so its not purely pedantic to wish actual tourist numbers rather than a generic visitors tab.

I suggest you do the maths , in all cases TAT project an annual percentage BAHT increase , this despite that currency being extremely strong for the last 12 months.

That is empirical and relates to a real time increase of 10-20% across the board , ridiculous and yes dishonest.

"I have no anti Thai agenda so your opening remarks are moot".

They're certainly not moot, I made no assertion as to your motives, just the agenda of most members' here. 

Now you're deflecting it on to the amounts spent by tourists, a figure that you, I and everyone else here have no information at all that would enable us to do the maths! 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, asean said:

so many here only think that only whites can be tourists

That is not the point!

The point is (if TAT's numbers are correct): do the tourists, who come into the country, leave money her, for the locals to earn?

Do they go to local restaurants, bars, massage shops...

This is typically something "whites" always did!

In Khao Lak you see many Chinese or Indian families (as in mother, father, maybe 2 kids), who rent their hotels by themselves, who book their tours on a day to day basis, who go out in the evenings...there is nothing wrong with that!

But MOST Chinese or Indians come in an pre- booked tours!

They don't spend money at local restaurants, they get to stay in hugely discounted hotels and they never ever stray away from their booked program.

A very small number of businesses profit of this kind of tourism, compared to the money, the "whites" spend.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2019 at 12:14 PM, Yinn said:

They have chinese menu? Chinese language staff? 

With business you must do for the customer who come, not the customer you like to come. 

Business must change, or will fail.

My friend business in Phangnga yesterday have 18 buses of China. One minibus from Russia. Nobody. else.

this link may be interesting for you, it's in Thai thus easy to accept since it's not from a foreigner

• Like 1
  • Haha 1