Changes in domestic passenger screening at Suvarnabhumi

Jonathan Fairfield

Changes in domestic passenger screening at Suvarnabhumi

n1.jpg

In order to reduce congestion on the fourth floor, Suvarnabhumi Airport is moving its screening service for domestic passengers to concourse screening.

Wing Commander Suthirawat Suwanawat, general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport, Airports of Thailand, said the change will come into effect from 5am on November 19.

n2.jpg

The airport will move the screening points to the other sides such as Concourse A and B, on the second and third floors.

The move is expected to fix the inconsistency in the use of the mixed areas of searched outbound passengers with inbound arrivals who are yet to be searched.

The change is expected to ensure that passengers flying out of Suvarnabhumi Airport get 100 per cent screening, which is in accordance with the requirements specified in the National Civil Aviation Security Plan

For more information, please contact AOT Contact Centre at 1722 24 hours.

Sourcehttps://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377740

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-25

1 hour ago, William C F Pierce said:

I had to pay for their mistake.

What are you complaining ?

This was your mistake too. Expecting nothing can go wrong on a simple short flight is a dream.

And very narrow sighted to think this only happes with TA.

Been there done that ok.

Had a flight from CM to Bkk with AA with only 50 min difference between my flight to Surat Thani. I was on time in the cue and then they closed the desk and put me in an other longer que. Result: we were on the plane, our luggage not. I could blame AA but i should have know better.

Now i Always try to find connecting flights with around 1,5h min for domesti flights.

Anyway why blame TA? Maybe some late passengers did stall the plane for 20 min.

A few years ago i was in Hat Yai. I was late because i miss read  the tickets and took the arriving time for check in. We did have our check in, security and boarding, with help of a very nice lady from TA, in about 5 min. Luggage also on the plane!

So I like TA alot!

• Confused 1

Anything that reduces wait time on these pesky screening contraptions is great, consistency of what you have to do would be nice, some have belts off others don't, some shoes off others don't, some computers stay in the bag, others have to remove, 

some watches off some leave on,

I have stopped wearing a belt, wear sandals and remove watch and every piece of jewellery before getting to the X-ray grotto, once through and everything back in place, going to the boarding gate another queue for another search, some how the first search 

did not find anything untoward means  nothing,

so a further search of the same bag is needed without removal of jewellery or computer removal,

this search is the one that annoys me as it is a waste of time, cursory looking

at best, so why bother.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Don't hold your breath.

Last june 2018 on a Thai Airways plane to Bankok on route to Chiank Mai. My plane arrived 20 minutes late. arriving at 6:10 am. For my connecting flight I had to go through security screening twice in succession (the CIQ didn't appear to be in operation). I arrived at the departure gate at 6.45 am (the take off was scheduled for 7:00 am). As I arrived at departure there was the plane leaving 15 minutes early.  I was sent to the nearest Thai Airways desk. I asked about my luggage and they took me to the carousel. There was my suitcase with 5 other peoples suitcases that had not been put on the connecting flight. With my suitcase I was then sent to the booking desk and they wanted to charge me 4000 Baht for the next available flight. The cheapest flight was at 17:00 pm for 1760 Baht which I had to pay for their mistake.

I wrote to Thai Airways with a complaint without a response. Two months ago I got an email from Thai Airways saying how sorry they were for my troubles and inconvenience on my trip to Dubai. I have never ever been to Dubai. Answered them again but have not received a reply from them.

Clearly they don't know how to run an airport or an airline. Two security checks is rediculas. 

Now all my air bookings are with ailines that have connecting flights to Chiang Mai from outside Thailand. This also means I avoid the Thai taxes on internal flights. Anyone who asks me about flying to Thailand. Then Thai Airways is not on my list of reccommendations.

The MCT (Minimum Connecting Time) for BKK is 1 hour and 15 minutes. According to your account of events, you were scheduled to land in BKK at 05:50 and depart at 07:00 so you were 5 minutes short on the MCT, which is your fault, not the airline's. As Madmen wrote - planes don't depart early. But the gates close about 10 minutes before departure.

What do you mean CIQ wasn't operating? Did you go to international check in counter in CNX? If yes, your luggage was supposed to be labeled for your final destination "via BKK" and thus not go to the carousel but directly to your connecting flight. Did you go through passport control in CNX?

You probably bought 2 separate tickets (1 domestic CNX-BKK + 1 international BKK-Final destination, 2 different reservations) and therefore you arriving late to the 2nd flight is on you, not the airline.

5 hours ago, donnacha said:

This is so important.

I keep reading reports from people traveling to Chiang Mai or other non-Bangkok destinations but who decide to fly via the Bangkok airports and are surprised when they get denied entry. If you are on a tourist or eduction visa, or hoping to get a visa waiver, always avoid flying into Bangkok. Don Mueang is the worst, but Suvarnabhumi can also be tricky.

If there are no direct flights between where you are and your final destination in Thailand, fly via hub airports in the region such as KualaLumpur, Hong Kong, Singapore and, even, HCMC. With so many budget airlines flying regularly to every city in Thailand, there is no need to put yourself at the mercy of the current anti-Western seizing immigration officers in both Bangkok airports.

Sure, the risk of getting deported may be low, but why run that risk or put yourself through the stress? In my experience so far, it does not work out that much more expensive or time-consuming to do your plane swapping outside Thailand rather than in Bangkok. You can also take the opportunity to spend some time in those other countries and get a sense of what they have to offer as an alternative place to live if Thailand continues to crack down on Westerners. Vietnam, in particular, is a lot more advanced than you might imagine.

Kuala Lumpur, as the hub for Air Asia, is one of my most used hubs. The city itself is reasonably comfortable, interesting and affordable enough but, if I have an early morning flight to Chiang Mai or the Philippines, I often just stay in the airport and pay around $30 to sleep overnight in the airport's capsule hotel, similar to the pod hotels popular in Japan. They include good WiFi, luggage storage, and everything you need for a good shower including towel, shampoo, shower gel, shower slippers and hairdryers. There are also traditional hotels within the airport for around $80 but, personally, I enjoy the simplicity of the capsule hotel, every airport should have one.

If you are on a very tight budget, there are plenty of spots within the airport where you can sleep overnight for free in safety and reasonable privacy, plenty of other travelers doing the same. Then, if you want freshen up before your flight, the capsule hotel will sell you the use of their showers for an hour, and all the gear mentioned above, for around $7.

The article and all the replies before you are about security checks in BKK. Nothing to do with immigration / entry problems...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Anything that reduces wait time on these pesky screening contraptions is great, consistency of what you have to do would be nice, some have belts off others don't, some shoes off others don't, some computers stay in the bag, others have to remove, 

some watches off some leave on,

I have stopped wearing a belt, wear sandals and remove watch and every piece of jewellery before getting to the X-ray grotto, once through and everything back in place, going to the boarding gate another queue for another search, some how the first search 

did not find anything untoward means  nothing,

so a further search of the same bag is needed without removal of jewellery or computer removal,

this search is the one that annoys me as it is a waste of time, cursory looking

at best, so why bother.

I have issues with screening, off with your belt,shoes,watch,loose money,wallet, etc, i have a few nuts bolts and screws upon me and always set the scanner off meaning i have to go to one side for the rub down, whilst i am enjoying the rub down my wallet inc credit cards etc are in a bin for the whole world to see and out of  sight of me, only a matter if time i think.

Edited by Almer
Spelling
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

The military run everything, or hadn't you noticed?

It doesn't matter what decade or what year , you are correct the military have always run Thailand, people talk of Thai democracy talk <deleted>, all heads of departments are either generals  or other high ranks and that was the trade off to save face with the introduction of civilian lead Government after the student lead unrest, worst trade off in Thailand's history.  

4 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

The article and all the replies before you are about security checks in BKK. Nothing to do with immigration / entry problems...

I was responding to a specific comment about avoiding the use of the Bangkok airports as hubs when flying into Thailand. I even excerpted the specific sentence that I was responding to so that even members with learning difficulties could keep up.

Oh well.

5 hours ago, Almer said:

I have issues with screening, off with your belt,shoes,watch,loose money,wallet, etc, i have a few nuts bolts and screws upon me and always set the scanner off meaning i have to go to one side for the rub down, whilst i am enjoying the rub down my wallet inc credit cards etc are in a bin for the whole world to see and out of  sight of me, only a matter if time i think.

A nightmare and long wait for those with hip replacements which apparently are not obvious first time through. 

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

I was responding to a specific comment about avoiding the use of the Bangkok airports as hubs when flying into Thailand. I even excerpted the specific sentence that I was responding to so that even members with learning difficulties could keep up.

Oh well.

yes, I get your point about members with learning difficulties. It is in a way a handicap and nothing to lough about. However, I'll try to help you. You have to read a post or a reply from top to bottom in order to understand it. I know that when it's a long post it might be tiring, so I'll sum it up for you. The poster you quoted was telling about how he missed a connecting flight (his first flight was domestic, meaning within Thailand, and he was supposed to connect to a flight DEPARTING Thailand) so nothing to do with immigration problems in BKK or DMK. that poster said now he won't be using Thai airways to connect on BKK, but use other airlines, NOT due to immigration problems, but due to flight connection.

sorry my reply got so long. Take your time reading it slowly.

If your flight is running late tell a crew member maybe get moved closer to the door just prior to landing....... if it’s the same airline 

sometimes the crew will notify groundstaff and notify the ongoing 

flight. 

Generally AC door is closed 15 minutes before take off and chances

of reopening the door doubtful. 

9 hours ago, Almer said:

can you carry an X-ray

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

I haven't. Bought a belt with a plastic buckle from aliexpress, works in most cases.

I've been to loads of airports recent years but only in Thailand i had to take my belt of. The guys behind and in front of me didn't have to do so but they had to take their shoes of, me not.

50 minutes ago, justin case said:

if thai want to learn, go to singapore...  the x-ray machines ARE AT THE GATE... so you get a quick search where you have to take your plane and not EVERYBODY in a few under manned lines all at once

Not anymore, last year their scanners were behind the automatic passport control....i had a half full bottle of soda in my bag and they found it. They asked me very politely about it and when i took it out they let me drink it, no problem at all...i also expected them to be at the gate as before.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

I've been to loads of airports recent years but only in Thailand i had to take my belt of. The guys behind and in front of me didn't have to do so but they had to take their shoes of, me not.

In most airports I have to remove my belt.

Just now, josephbloggs said:

In most airports I have to remove my belt.

I wonder how they select the ones who have to take their belt/shoes of. it is not consistent. And if the scanner sees my belt the one with the metaldetector just checks me again, sees the belt and lets me go.

Can that large scanner not see through a belt or inside shoes? It can see through clothes iirc.