Coke the world’s ‘top plastic polluter’

snoop1130

Coca-Cola produces more plastic waste in 37 countries on four continents than Nestlé and PepsiCo combined. The other global plastic polluters are Unilever, Mars, P&G, Colgate-Palmolive, Phillip Morris, and Perfetti Van Melle.

Exactly what I have been saying when 7-11 announced they were doing away with single use plastic shopping bags. The shopping bags are not the problem and every useful to segregate wet waste and plastic shrink wraps and films from recyclables. The problem is the 95% of plastic packaging in 7-11 from CP group, Coca-Cola and the like.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Estrada said:

Coca-Cola produces more plastic waste in 37 countries on four continents than Nestlé and PepsiCo combined. The other global plastic polluters are Unilever, Mars, P&G, Colgate-Palmolive, Phillip Morris, and Perfetti Van Melle.

What a meaningless statement

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

When I was a kid, coke bottles had a return value.

’Cocacola’ and other soda/beer businesses provided customers with an economic inventive to return bottles which were then reused by the drink companies.

These businesses moved away from that business model to disposable plastic bottles while at the same time stopping re-use and economic incentives for re-use.

These businesses have stripped out re-use and the result is polluting plastics.

Let’s blame the consumers.

Everybody was knicking the plastic bottle crates,every house had one or two or...

the similarities between scandinavia & thailand is

that i can buy a bottle of coca cola in both countries,

the difference is that i cant see any plastic litter in scandinavia.

i think ultimately it comes down to the people being mindful of litter,

and the state provide incentives to be mindful of litter.

i note that the trash cans in thailand always spill over

and the wind & floods carries it away

long before the truck comes around and empty it.

there is also a cultural difference, in scandinavia the norm is to cook yourself,

while in thailand the norm is to buy cooked food and bring it home in a plastic bag.

not necessarily a bad idea, but for sure thailand has an incentive

to invent a bag that can keep a hot soup contained over a long time,

but yet still be decomposable

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Everybody was knicking the plastic bottle crates,every house had one or two or...

I preferred the old glass bottles. But the public gets what the public wants.

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I preferred the old glass bottles. But the public gets what the public wants.

CocaCola came up with one of the world's best 'dissolvers' 

- so someone then came up with a decent enough plastic,

to contain it, that turns out 'too' good at resisting it... forever!

- what comes around, goes around

On 10/26/2019 at 6:24 AM, new2here said:

2) increase distribution costs... quite simply the weight of a glass bottle is substantially higher than a comparable sized plastic bottle... therefore what’s the impact on the distribution network? I mean if it takes more fuel burn to carry and distribute a heavier albeit post-consumer recyclable product container, is that a worthwhile trade off?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view=detail&mid=D9046BD9DC77EFCEB82AD9046BD9DC77EFCEB82A&shtp=GetUrl&shid=3e394161-53bb-453b-8245-ca71ba7e0590&shtk=Qm90dGxlIE1ha2luZyBQcm9jZXNz&shdk=VGhpcyBpcyBhIHZpZGVvIG9mIGEgbWFjaGluZSBtYWtpbmcgUEVUIEJvdHRsZXMuIFRoaXMgaXMgYSB2aWRlbyBvZiBBTCBRdXJhaXNoIFBFVCBCb3R0bGUgTWFudWZhY3R1cmluZy4gT3VyIGNvbXBhbnkgd2Vic2l0ZSBpcyBodHRwOi8vd3d3LmFscXVyYWlzaGdyb3VwLmNvbQ%3D%3D&shhk=a8HUSw9OPiwNVvQqIejT0rE%2FkJfIPMpTzLOrTfnVHzI%3D&form=VDSHOT&shth=OSH.4wP%2BfJg7QdWCt8mbifRNuA

wow thats a long link. should show bottles made from preforms by heat, vacuum, and then cooling.

but anyhow, logistics and economics play a huge part. drinks companies save $$$$$ by making the plastic bottles on site by buying 'preformed' bottles and expanding them on site. the cost of transport is drastically reduced. also distribution of final product cheaper as plastic bottle is lighter. I have seen this process at a factory in England , if anyone remembers 'rola-cola' and 'minster' brand soft drinks, it was that one.

personally, I would pay a few pennies more for glass bottles, not environmentally perfect, but arguably better. 

even in Thailand glass has a value, the profit on my bar was mainly through sending the 'empties' to the recyclers.

8 minutes ago, jastheace said:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view=detail&mid=D9046BD9DC77EFCEB82AD9046BD9DC77EFCEB82A&shtp=GetUrl&shid=3e394161-53bb-453b-8245-ca71ba7e0590&shtk=Qm90dGxlIE1ha2luZyBQcm9jZXNz&shdk=VGhpcyBpcyBhIHZpZGVvIG9mIGEgbWFjaGluZSBtYWtpbmcgUEVUIEJvdHRsZXMuIFRoaXMgaXMgYSB2aWRlbyBvZiBBTCBRdXJhaXNoIFBFVCBCb3R0bGUgTWFudWZhY3R1cmluZy4gT3VyIGNvbXBhbnkgd2Vic2l0ZSBpcyBodHRwOi8vd3d3LmFscXVyYWlzaGdyb3VwLmNvbQ%3D%3D&shhk=a8HUSw9OPiwNVvQqIejT0rE%2FkJfIPMpTzLOrTfnVHzI%3D&form=VDSHOT&shth=OSH.4wP%2BfJg7QdWCt8mbifRNuA

wow thats a long link. should show bottles made from preforms by heat, vacuum, and then cooling.

but anyhow, logistics and economics play a huge part. drinks companies save $$$$$ by making the plastic bottles on site by buying 'preformed' bottles and expanding them on site. the cost of transport is drastically reduced. also distribution of final product cheaper as plastic bottle is lighter. I have seen this process at a factory in England , if anyone remembers 'rola-cola' and 'minster' brand soft drinks, it was that one.

personally, I would pay a few pennies more for glass bottles, not environmentally perfect, but arguably better. 

even in Thailand glass has a value, the profit on my bar was mainly through sending the 'empties' to the recyclers.

a more conveniently shorter link 

plastic drink bottles are a P.E.T. hate for many

Edited by tifino

oh no, time to hate capitalism again.  Coke makes zillions, executives rich, and now the poor liberals want to demonize them from a keyboard.  yes, let's put them all in jail!!!!  fine them zillions and give me the money!!!  and apple for putting kids in danger in china, and nike, and every other country that exploits.  plastic is bad, ok.  but this isn't my fight.   use all the plastic you want, i don't care.  fight the corporations, ok whatever.  it's your life.  but i can sell you a book for 50,000 baht, "how to use less plastic."  first 1000000000 orders get a free straw.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 10/26/2019 at 10:56 AM, Pattaya46 said:

Quantity of sugar in Coke decreased a lot in last decade (depending of countries though).

Now less sugar in Coke than in pure orange juice !

I immediately rushed to Google to disprove this statement, only to discover that it's right!

However. The health advantages of drinking orange juice, in moderation, far outweigh that of drinking coke. I haven't touched the latter for many years.

Personally I opt for pomegranate juice nowadays as my number cold drink.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The  definition  of insidious  propaganda !

And No mention  of  being an effective  toilet  cleaner!

The  world  to  sing?

Let  em yodel !

I love that commercial, think it is cute, plus effective as well. Clearly coca cola and not another brand, recognisable and good name recognition.

1 hour ago, rhyddid said:

Sugar drinks shall 1000% tax increase, Plastic bottles sugar drinks shall get a fix rate of 20$ per bottle tax, we will decrease diabetes and pollution, unfortunately politicians are good on talk but never good in protecting their citizens from giant corporations!

Yes, great idea. Sugar drinks as well as beer, wine, spirits and all bottled beverages including water should be only available to the rich. 

2 hours ago, rhyddid said:

unfortunately politicians are good on talk but never good in protecting their citizens from giant corporations!

Yeah corporations are terrorists, yes? Especially when those pretties in green Chang short dresses open a bottle with their teeth and force me to drink it. 

I try not to go near a 7-11 because the Cokenazis in the black uniforms toss me to the ground and pour an ice cold can of original taste down my gurgler, then releive me of 15 baht. I wish someone would protect me. Im helpless, with no mind or will of my own.

• Sad 1

On 10/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

When I was a kid, coke bottles had a return value.

’Cocacola’ and other soda/beer businesses provided customers with an economic inventive to return bottles which were then reused by the drink companies.

These businesses moved away from that business model to disposable plastic bottles while at the same time stopping re-use and economic incentives for re-use.

These businesses have stripped out re-use and the result is polluting plastics.

Let’s blame the consumers.

On 10/26/2019 at 12:24 PM, new2here said:

Off the top of my head I like that idea of the return to the reusable glass bottle... but... a few questions cross my mind...

1) is the shelf life as good (as long) as that of a comparable plastic bottle? I mean while I suspect most Coke (and comparable beverages) are consumed well before their “best before” date, what I wonder is, is the seal of a glass bottle and metal (with thin rubber/plastic seal) bottle cap as good as what we see of today’s plastic bottles? If it’s not, then I think that’s an issue that the production management side will have to address

2) increase distribution costs... quite simply the weight of a glass bottle is substantially higher than a comparable sized plastic bottle... therefore what’s the impact on the distribution network? I mean if it takes more fuel burn to carry and distribute a heavier albeit post-consumer recyclable product container, is that a worthwhile trade off?

3) large scale logistics of post-consumer use glass bottles? What’s the plan to cost effectively collect and ultimately recycle said bottles over a large, large scale? ... and whatever those costs are, who will pay it (directly or indirectly) or how are they paid? If the bottle just ends up getting “tossed” I think that it’s true you won’t have as much ocean plastics anymore, but I don’t think it really closes the loop in terms of creating a truly environmentally conscious cycle either

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

???? That's how it's done in the real world, the bottle deposit on every goddamn bottle and no one in germany, austria, sweden, norway .... would throw it away because you get 8-25Cent per bottle back.

It's not coke, it's consumers and countries like thailand and the USA, China who don't get their <deleted> fixed. Educate people and demand bottle deposits. 

• Thanks 1