US urges Thailand to reconsider proposed ban on weed-control chemical

rooster59

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The United States would expect Thailand, as it would all of our trading partners, to base regulatory measures on scientific evidence and take into account international standards.

The trumps USA is light on scientific evidence, or more correctly, heavily reliant on faux scientific evidence, ( having made a joke of the EPA) that anything from the nation ruled by the worlds greatest liar, must simply be dismissed in the first instance

European guidelines in fishing impacted the local industry. Sticking with European guidelines seems the way to go.

https://sustainablepulse.com/2019/05/28/glyphosate-herbicides-now-banned-or-restricted-in-17-countries-worldwide-sustainable-pulse-research/

Germany has said it will phase out the controversial weedkiller glyphosate because it wipes out insect populations crucial for ecosystems and pollination of food crops.

The chemical, also suspected by some experts to cause cancer in humans, is to be banned by the end of 2023 when the EU’s approval period for it expires, ministers said.

Biologists have sounded the alarm over plummeting insect populations that affect species diversity and damage ecosystems by disrupting natural food chains and plant pollination.

“What harms insects also harms people,” said environment minister Svenja Schulze, of the centre-left Social Democrats, who warned of a future when fruit could become a luxury.

“What we need is more humming and buzzing,” added Schulze, stressing that “a world without insects is not worth living in”.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/04/germany-ban-glyphosate-weedkiller-by-2023

https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/toxic-tort-law/monsanto-roundup-lawsuit/where-is-glyphosate-banned/

Thus, Paraquat has been banned in the European Union since 2007. In the United States, paraquat is available primarily as a solution in various strengths. It is classified as "restricted use", which means that it can be used by licensed applicators only.

13 hours ago, robblok said:

???? You mean shows their clear support of Monsanto ? Bayer. I mean Europe is light years ahead in all matters of safety the US just thinks of money. I prefer experts of a region that does think of safety not experts from a country that in recent times thinks more of money then people (Boeing anyone).

and does USA allow the use of these chemicals in their own country?

18 hours ago, farmerjo said:

I saw farming where i came from before glyphosate was introduced to the area.

And after.

The guys that stayed with the ploughs and scarifiers had the banks knocking on their doors and taking their farms away from them.

My brothers Fil used to grow organic wheat,dig the cow horns in facing zenith mumbo jumbo.

The price was marginally better but the yields were ordinary.Guess what they came and took his farm too. 

So if you think farmers can take a step or two backwards and weather the storm your wrong.

Unless subsidies are involved and i know your stance on that.

I have seen the government put regulations on my job too made it harder making me supply more information. Did I like it no, did I have to charge my clients .. Yes I did. Did I make money on it.. no i did not. Everywhere the government regulates things and we comply. Its a fact that nobody will ever go for harsher regulations on their own those in the sector will resist at all cost. But in the end we all need to comply. I never got a subsidy for the extra work but did it and tried to charge my clients anyway. Farmers are not special, its a business and as a business it should be regulated by the government as those in the sector never look beyond what is good for them.

I think farmers should weather the strorm and try to get money from consumers. If it is indeed so bad then higher prices will follow as all farmers have this problem. It seems your against organic. I am not. Full disclosure my dad worked at a fertilizer factory so I seen them skirt the laws too with emissions and discharges of water. Some laws were just crazy but most protect the environment. In Europe fish have come back to certain rivers since the 70'ies after new rules for discharge. The factories did not like it one bit but they complied and a better enviroment came to be. Farmers just have to adapt just like those in other fields have to adapt.

Your idea that farmers are special is laughable, they are just businesses and if they fail they fail. I seen plenty of business fail its sad but it happens. That is why those in a business can make more money if it goes well.. Risk vs reward.

17 hours ago, sometime said:

If Roundup is so bad why is it freely available in the UK

Roundup.jpg

Roundup was due to be phased out in the UK in 2022, but It is currently under review because of the evidence in the US courts that it can cause cancer.

Important note to those who do not know: the embassy letter was written by someone who worked for Dow Chemical for 18 years. It is sickening and sinister that person was given such a loud voice.

In Thailand these poisons are not used as authorized so citing these studies is invalid and irrelevant.

Thailand is right to ban these things and their reasoning is rational and sensible. I wish them the strength to follow through with this ban. It would throw some serious egg on the US face who deserve it for trying to get Thailand to bow down to US interests and big chemical companies. I am an American, but I am with Thailand all the way on this one and I am sure there are a lot of Americans that would also agree with Thailand here.

11 hours ago, robblok said:

I have seen the government put regulations on my job too made it harder making me supply more information. Did I like it no, did I have to charge my clients .. Yes I did. Did I make money on it.. no i did not. Everywhere the government regulates things and we comply. Its a fact that nobody will ever go for harsher regulations on their own those in the sector will resist at all cost. But in the end we all need to comply. I never got a subsidy for the extra work but did it and tried to charge my clients anyway. Farmers are not special, its a business and as a business it should be regulated by the government as those in the sector never look beyond what is good for them.

I think farmers should weather the strorm and try to get money from consumers. If it is indeed so bad then higher prices will follow as all farmers have this problem. It seems your against organic. I am not. Full disclosure my dad worked at a fertilizer factory so I seen them skirt the laws too with emissions and discharges of water. Some laws were just crazy but most protect the environment. In Europe fish have come back to certain rivers since the 70'ies after new rules for discharge. The factories did not like it one bit but they complied and a better enviroment came to be. Farmers just have to adapt just like those in other fields have to adapt.

Your idea that farmers are special is laughable, they are just businesses and if they fail they fail. I seen plenty of business fail its sad but it happens. That is why those in a business can make more money if it goes well.. Risk vs reward.

I dont agree with you, farmers are special is laughable. I think farmers are way more important then a chemical plant or business. The farmer provides food, with no food youll die. You are/were one your self, but you have another vision of your job.

You say you are nothing but a business, somehow i can agree with you in that.

The business, behind the farmers are the bad ones. THey are in control.

THey tell you how to do. THey come up with pesticides, they work, but also work the other way, as in having cancer in people in longer run.

THey do know , but pretend they dont know and try to sell fast as many as they can.

There are deals made with governments and business. More and more the control by government is shifted and only in worst cases, when they finally wake up, they come up with rules.

As i remember at one point they forbid the glyphosate and later on it was ok to use again. But now there is a built down in that one. Finally they saw, by other investigators, it also had an effect on bees and insects. Those are needed for, very important, pollination. Still not forbid, but eventually with deal bringing it down.

But absolutely not forbid, carry on.

Screaming about CO2 and NO and global warming. Holland will do it by themselves, changing way of Holland life. Cost billions and has an effect of 0.00000000017% on total and other countries , like USA, China (biggest polluters) continu.

Not screaming about the 8000000 tons of plastic dumped in the oceans EVERY year.

We can not built houses anymore due to government rules and to court ruling about those rules, so if you have one be happy, if you dont have one, just live in the streets or where ever youll find a place.  

In Asia they were/are more easy, but now you ll see Asia coming up and getting wise as well, as the companies dumped it all over there to make profit. That is all to it, profit for big companies and they dont care about any ones health or environment. 

And maybe some farmers even also dont care, as long as they have nice looking crops to sell. Now you see they even want to force Thailand to keep on using it.

Vegetables are sold in auctions and if there is too much, they throw it away for human consumptions to keep prices regulated, of course for business (the supermarkets) not the farmer.

Your vision on having some fish back here, doesnt mean a thing. The plans for Holland 2050 is, due to rising sea level, we let the sea take over and we move back. In 2050 there is a half Netherlands, most is flooded with seawater, that is a serious plan.

Can you imagine?! The whole west coast 115 km inland, sea water ! 

Now they are cutting trees to create some flat landscape, while the CO2 level is rising, that makes sense. Again waste of time and energy, as we will flood.

THe only species who increases now is human. No more big wars.

I wouldnt be surprised, some people try to decrease it again by viruses. You already had aids, ebola, h1n1 and more popping up. 

AUstralia spread viruses to kill bunnies, some times later you had mysterious bunnies dying in Europe, as the virus was airborne.

Now they want or already did to kill carps over there. Herpes virus, only as they said, for carps. BUt viruses can mutate and spread, as they once already showed. 

AAh ok ill stop, doesnt matter we are on a road to nowhere.

So many people here seem to think that Thai's using the proven carcinogenic alternatives is going to be a better thing. Have you seen how Thais apply caulking silicone in construction? Science fact here. Your morning coffee is more toxic than Glyphosate. Most of the Glyphosate used in Thailand is manufactured in China. There are about 750 brands of Glyphosate. Only those of us with an shikimic acid pathway need to be concerned about the chemical. By the way an organic apple is a mixture of chemicals too.

Archived