Sleep study/ sleep apnea

farang1979

I have been researching about sleep apnea and snoring and measures taken to prevent and stop it. Having tried nose devices, chin straps and nose dilators without any success I think it’s time to look at a more permanent solution.

Having looked at older threads, the first step appears to be a sleep study costing between 10k-15k. Then, based on the results of that possibly looking at a CPAP machine. I haven’t seen many comments about surgery other than it’s rarely advised. I would be more inclined to have surgery if required rather than be strapped up to a machine. Can anyone share their experiences on this? Has anyone had surgery in Bangkok and it been successful? Where is the best place to have a sleep study done?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I had a sleep study done in saudi and used a CPAP machine for awhile for what the doc diagnosed was sleep hypopnea...didn't work, the machine is intrusive and could only get about 3 hrs per night...then I discovered melatonin 3mg and things significantly improved immediately, available from lazada and iherb...try it if ye haven't already before ye start talkin' about surgery, further expensive treatment etc...

9 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I had a sleep study done in saudi and used a CPAP machine for awhile for what the doc diagnosed was sleep hypopnea...didn't work, the machine is intrusive and could only get about 3 hrs per night...then I discovered melatonin 3mg and things significantly improved immediately, available from lazada and iherb...try it if ye haven't already before ye start talkin' about surgery, further expensive treatment etc...

You must have been wrongly diagnosed and had insomnia. Sleep apnea is a physical thing (a blockage ) and no tablet will stop it occuring. My friend had surgery after many years of using machines and he had massively oversized tonsils and surgery worked however in most cases surgery is not recommended

Edited by madmen
  • Like 1

Yes to both, had severe sleep apnea in 1996 Singapore, snored really loud and then stopped and about 45 seconds would start again. I was 43 then... Fell asleep at red lights, or any meeting I attended, within 5 minutes of sitting down. when offshore nobody would share a room with me, My folks came to visit from US and made a video of me, everyone thought it was funny..... Wife an dog had moved out of bedroom...When they got home my Uncle had a stroke, he was overweight, snored like me and a major contributing factor was sleep apnea....and My Dad called me an said get to a doctor, so I went to Ear nose an throat doc there at MT Elizabeth Hospital, did sleep study. I quit breathing like 370+ times in 7 hrs and O2 level in blood dropped off readable scale for entire night, thats 40% if I recall..... I had never had tonsils or adenoids removed, also had deviated septum.  The opening in my throat was just a sliver.. I had the surgery, They removed soft pallet, tonsils, adenoids and corrected the deviated septum. Was good for a long time but overweight beer drinker it came back. In Houston saw a pulmonary doc, did another sleep study and was bad, not as bad as before but not good. Now have been using a Cpap for 10 years, you get used to it and when you wake up you are refreshed, have energy. Strokes are really bad, my wife had one from brain aneurism and we have lived with this for 15 years, My advice is have a sleep study done and get a machine and get used to it. I have a full face mask as can't use the nasal thing due to previous surgery, air in nose comes out mouth or I look like a chipmunk with mouth full of nuts..trying to keep mouth shut. Other downsides of surgery was the soft pallet is a check valve, keeps things from going up your nose when sneezing... Someone make me laugh when drinking a beer and it would shoot out both nostrils. That burned.. But eventually that self corrected. 

Sleep Apnea is not something to blow off, it will bite you in the A$$... aside from just staying tired all the time without any energy, that just sucks and makes you get further out of shape and gain unnecessary weight. Its a vicious cycle.

Hope this explanation helps someone. 

• Like 1