Annoying Lazada

OneMoreFarang

From time to time I buy things from Lazada. I use it because it has local Thai suppliers and sometimes they have reasonable prices and fast and cheap delivery.

But sometimes Lazada is just annoying.

In the last day I looked for a rotary tool (Dremel) and some accessories. I also looked for an electronic rice cooker. I mention this to clarify that this is not just about one item.

My experience is the following:

a) Huge price differences for the same item (at least the item is supposed to be the same). I.e. one and the same rice cooker is available between 1,650 up to 6,250 THB.

b) Different prices for the same item from the same supplier on the www version and the mobile version. Checked on the same day and the same time - both logged in with my account.

c) Seemingly random "discounts". On day x%, next day y% on the same item from the same supplier.

d) Bad search. I.e. the description includes the brand name. But when I click on the brand name on the left (filer in the WWW version) the result does not include everything.

Because of above problems I spent a lot of time to search for things and a good price even if this should be easy.

I also compared the Lazada prices with Banggood and Aliexpress and the good prices from Lazada are good - so I ordered from them.

Does anybody of you have any good tips and tricks to make it easier to use Lazada? It's annoying to spend an hour online for something that should be possible to do in a few minutes.

Rotary tool (dremel) can be found in Tesco or most decent mom & pop hardware stores . You just need a picture. Now the cut off discs maybe more scare but. In Bangkok, if nearby Sukhumvit 71 (Phrakhanong BTS) all the way down to the Klong there are many such shops. I guess now also Old Siam courtesy of the new Chinatown MRT

Lazada runs by people who sticks to their model of doing business, to them it's a winning formula and no amount of criticism will change that, for me, i just pick and choose what to buy from them and it's a pity coz i could be buying a whole lot more have they been more organised and user friendly with their products and ways of doing business...

A few observations and comments.

Lazada is a Thai service/site, searching in English will not always prove useful as the terminology is different. If you stick with English you will get a wide range of results and not all good. Thai will give better results and prices (usually), the sellers know the English will hit "farangs" and price accordingly. (cant blame them for trying)

There are thousands upon thousands of sellers on there, they seem to adopt the tactic of varying prices for many products that are the same, this is normal amongst e-sellers, even from the same seller with a slightly different product title, it is a marketing e-sale tactic.

I have seen vitamins @ 69baht being offerred by the same seller for 2300 !! There are buyers out there that only think something is good if the ticket is high. Crazy but true.

Lazada is providing the marketplace, it is the sellers who have to find inventive ways to get their product in front of you, its not Lazada selling anything (they do provide logistics and stocking product etc) Although I do think Lazada should police and control better what the sellers on their marketplace get up to, difficult I would think given the shear volume of sellers/items.

Thanks for your comments.

In principle I like the idea of old fashioned offline shopping. And sometimes this is easy i.e. for that rice cooker in any of the big shops in Thailand.

But with other items it's more difficult to find them. And sometimes the shop is at the other end of town and it would take two hours to go there and come back. So online shopping can be a good alternative.

Sometimes it's also amazing how cheap things are online compared to the malls. Samples are USB cables and small items like that.

I started this thread about online shopping in general. The products which I mention are just examples.

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for your comments.

In principle I like the idea of old fashioned offline shopping. And sometimes this is easy i.e. for that rice cooker in any of the big shops in Thailand.

But with other items it's more difficult to find them. And sometimes the shop is at the other end of town and it would take two hours to go there and come back. So online shopping can be a good alternative.

Sometimes it's also amazing how cheap things are online compared to the malls. Samples are USB cables and small items like that.

I started this thread about online shopping in general. The products which I mention are just examples.

One thing that I find useful, is to translate what you want using Google translate, then paste that in and see what comes up, it helped me a few times. This is particularly relevant with "shopee" which is even more Thai orientated. 

I also agree that it is way more convenient to sit at home relaxing and browsing than fighting traffic and language barriers trying to get what you want, for the sake of a 50 baht delivery fee, I go online first every time, also more relevant if you are out in the sticks like I am.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

up to 6,250 THB

I thought you were having a laugh when you said a rice cooker for 6,250THB, but then I searched Lazada from high to low price rice cookers and came up with one called a DIGITAL HITACHI RZ-KG18YTH R 1.8L  for 71,600THB reduced from 143,200THB!

I'll stick with my 290THB cooker for now, its not that hard for the Mrs to knock out some rice.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

It crossed my mind as to whether or not some were money laundering on there with outrageous prices for somethings.

Indeed, how would someone order some ordinary dog food for double the price it costs at MAKRO ? (the thread reminded me to check for it, the good price of the past is gone, MAKRO will have the business).

32 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed, how would someone order some ordinary dog food for double the price it costs at MAKRO ? (the thread reminded me to check for it, the good price of the past is gone, MAKRO will have the business).

So many are on-line these days, easy to look before visiting ..........  always get the 20 kg sack of Fish food from Lazada, [cheaper + Delivered FREE]  often the dog food is on promotion at Tesco or Big C, last time Makro had a deal 2 x 20 kg sacks for 1,200 baht...  but you have to look out.. wanted Kidney beans on Saturday Makro was 76 baht, bought at Big C at 34 baht. same size different brand.

2 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:
5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

up to 6,250 THB

I thought you were having a laugh when you said a rice cooker for 6,250THB, but then I searched Lazada from high to low price rice cookers and came up with one called a DIGITAL HITACHI RZ-KG18YTH R 1.8L  for 71,600THB reduced from 143,200THB!

I'll stick with my 290THB cooker for now, its not that hard for the Mrs to knock out some rice.

Panasonic SR-DF181, that's the one which I checked.

Now I tried again. I still find the lowest price 1,650B but the highest price at this time is "only" 3,190B. It seems the prices changes several times a day...

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=Panasonic SR-DF181

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/panasonic-18-750-sr-df181-i497280761-s886178826.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/lo-rice-cooke-sr-df181-18-1-toshiba-tefal-philips-panasonic-100-i406996975-s790388886.html

I am over 60....for 3 years I have been buying continuously on Lazada. This website has many same items listed by different sellers so you see much variance in price. Some sellers are very smart and will list at several price points. Some items are carried locally in Thailand, and some by Lazada in their own warehouses.

So its wise to sort items you are looking for in various ways. Amazon works the same way. So check lowest price by sorting by price. Check highest price just to know. Check if its local by checking the local box to the left. Because sometimes its not worth the wait.

I have had very few problems on Lazada, I have bought everything from musical instruments, to camping gear, clothes, footballs, etc. Literally hundreds of items.

The company is quick to fix any issues. Finally try to be ready at your phone when you know a delivery is coming ... helps it to go smoothly. Hope I said something worthwhile.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Huge price differences for the same item (at least the item is supposed to be the same). I.e. one and the same rice cooker is available between 1,650 up to 6,250 THB.

in thailand they sell the same rice cookers but one is made in thailand and the other in japan....this also goes for tv's...maybe even more products..yes new balance shoes made in vietnam or us/uk.....last ones cost double.

I'm also angry that they cheated me on lazada..i bought 4 fan blades for 179 each, claimed to be hatari but they are not.

When i looked again for 199 i see real hatari fan blades (white ones) with the brandname moulded in the blade...

Lazada is just annoying.

Onemorefarang

They are copying the Amazon model.  They include items in the search that you are not looking for in the hopes you see something else you want to buy. To screen for the best price for the identical item takes screening and they hope the longer you are on the site the more you will buy. 

Does anybody of you have any good tips and tricks to make it easier to use Lazada? It's annoying to spend an hour online for something that should be possible to do in a few minutes.

I alwas check the real price first on amazon.de so i know what it should cost.

For expensive items i also check shops in singapore....check ishopchangi ...for expensive items it's sure worth the flight and many times the hotel for some days as well. It's waiting for you on Changi when you arrive...

I learned to examine the pics on lazada very well....and i always go for japanese brands...no thai.

The delivery goes very well....paying cod also.

I also learned to not throw old stuff on the street no more because my neighbour will pick it and use it in his garden as art or whatever it has to be...i hoped the gardeners would get it but he waits untill i'm out and gets it...even the cardboard he uses to put over the engine of the car because he always has to open the hood for some reason.

So my left neighbour has a new bmw5 top model and the other one old cardboard boxes on his crappy car with open hood all day haha.

4 minutes ago, petermik said:

But Mr Kerry is a very nice chap Mr Danson and visits us often....well worth the 50 baht :thumbsup:

Yeh, but when the USB cable is Bht 27 !      I agree with you, my Mr Kerry is great, ad the local office when I need to return stuff is 100%.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Samples are USB cables and small items like that.

I hate that to buy a simple 50 baht item I have to go to a dedicated computer mall eg fortune town. Today arrived a 10 meter long lan cable 3 days after ordering on lazada at 50 baht plus shipping !

Between lazada, ali express and tesco online I do all my shopping online these days

26 minutes ago, madmen said:

I hate that to buy a simple 50 baht item I have to go to a dedicated computer mall eg fortune town. Today arrived a 10 meter long lan cable 3 days after ordering on lazada at 50 baht plus shipping !

Between lazada, ali express and tesco online I do all my shopping online these days

Yep, juice & sugar from Tesco, yeast from Lazada. Done !

2 hours ago, sillyfool said:

has anyone else noticed that every single item on sale on lazada has a marked down or sale price ? 

i am yet to see an item just listed at a certain price.

Same in department stores " promotions everywhere"

11 hours ago, madmen said:

Same in department stores " promotions everywhere"

But in those stores the percentage does not change several times per day. And one item has one fixed price, you won't find in the same store on the same day the same item for different prices. And then try that on Lazada...

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But in those stores the percentage does not change several times per day. And one item has one fixed price, you won't find in the same store on the same day the same item for different prices. And then try that on Lazada...

Conventional Stores don't use algorithms ???? to select what you see.

The ones that bug me are the "free shipping" badges ! Then when you get sucked in, read the Ad etc, the 199baht item has "free shipping" when you spend more than 9999 baht !!! Arrghhh con job, hate sales gimmicks.

I use the "lowest-highest" price slider in the left hand column to narrow down search and price results and to eliminate the multiple pages of accessories.  If I know the price I expect to pay will be around B1500, then I set the slider from B1000 to B2000...that eliminates a lot of irrelevant stuff. 

Archived