Where to buy...

asiacurious

Hi there everyone!

This is my first post on the site after casually looking around for a while and I'm wondering if anyone knows where a couple of different things can be purchased (or if they can be purchased!) in the Bangkok area. 

• Barley Malt Syrup - Tried all the usual places (Villa, Gourmet Market, large "Food Hall" shops run by Tops).  I tried Schmidt's too as it is often used in baking to add color/flavor.
  • A reasonably priced 1500-2000 Watt Voltage Transformer (new or used)

Thanks!

AC

7 hours ago, DrKSS said:

You could tray chatachuck flea market for the transformer. 

I know that market pretty well, where can we find stuff like that? Inside the JJ mall?

Chinatown in and outside the old siam mall would be better to find stuff like that.

Edited by Thian

There is an industrial grade transformer sales and repair shop just below the Phra Khanong BTS.

Take exit #4. At street level (Starbucks) you can cut through the commercial building, across the parking area in the rear. Shop is on opposite side.    If you don't see the cut-through, just walk to right end of building, past AmazonCoffee & Coffee Club and make a hairpin turn around to the back.

8 hours ago, Thian said:

I know that market pretty well, where can we find stuff like that? Inside the JJ mall?

Chinatown in and outside the old siam mall would be better to find stuff like that.

I could never find transformers at Chatuchak.  Was just there a couple weeks ago.  BTW, the new mall they've been building for the last... uh... 3 years it seems, has finally opened.  JJ is a possibility though.  Have to go back to look.

4 hours ago, dddave said:

There is an industrial grade transformer sales and repair shop just below the Phra Khanong BTS.

Take exit #4. At street level (Starbucks) you can cut through the commercial building, across the parking area in the rear. Shop is on opposite side.    If you don't see the cut-through, just walk to right end of building, past AmazonCoffee & Coffee Club and make a hairpin turn around to the back.

I was just over at Phra Khanong a week ago at Schmidts for baking ingredients (alas, no barley malt syrup).  Saw some in Treasure Factory (I think that was the name).  Priced way to high for what they had.  I'll have to head back to look for that sales/repair shop.

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

I could never find transformers at Chatuchak.  Was just there a couple weeks ago.  BTW, the new mall they've been building for the last... uh... 3 years it seems, has finally opened.  JJ is a possibility though.  Have to go back to look.

That JJ-mall building isn't new, it was about to collapse for many years but they made a new look for it. I haven't been inside since it's 'new' but before they didn't sell anything serious in there...

Better buy it online, or in chinatown but also there the quality is low..the same stuff is sold online from banggood.com for half the price and free shipping.

17 hours ago, Thian said:

That JJ-mall building isn't new, it was about to collapse for many years but they made a new look for it. I haven't been inside since it's 'new' but before they didn't sell anything serious in there...

Better buy it online, or in chinatown but also there the quality is low..the same stuff is sold online from banggood.com for half the price and free shipping.

JJ-MALL is a different mall from the new MIXT mall (odd name). Inside had higher end jewelers, food court (need a prepaid card/rabbit/line to pay for food), and a variety of shops.

I suppose it's possible that MIXT is a rehab, though they would have had to totally gut the place.  Looks completely new.

Here's a view from the parking garage that sits on top of the MIXT mall, with a view of Chatuchak below....

asiacurious.com-chatuchak.jpg