Dozed-off driver injures 5

Rimmer

Dozed-off driver injures 5

1364-pn3-N-Oct-24-03-Old-navy-sleep-driv

SATTAHIP:--A navy officer on his way to work dozed off behind the wheel, swerved off the road, and plowed through motorcycles and food stalls in front of a commercial building outside Navy Housing 19 Village M. 9 in Sattahip.

Five people were injured, four females and one male, during the mayhem at 8.30am Thursday, Oct. 24, and taken to Wat Yanasangwararam Hospital for treatment. Their conditions are unknown.

3 shops, a pick-up truck, and 4 motorcycles were damaged.

Lt. Cdr. Chamnan Somjai, the driver, told police he drove from home in Pattaya to Sattahip, but fell asleep on the way to his post after not getting enough sleep the previous night. He said he has already contacted the insurance company to take responsibility and he regrets what happened.

It was not made known what charges he faced for his reckless driving.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/dozed-off-driver-injures-5-268045

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-10-29--

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

As this appears to be an increasingly popular pastime, perhaps there should be a charge in the Thai statute of 'Driving while asleep'?

It should be part of the driving test, ah i just realised it is part of the test, when i did my thai licence 1/2 the candidates were asleep

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Rimmer said:

It was not made known what charges he faced for his reckless driving.

None; police and Service personnel are exempt from the laws governing the ordinary folk.  Will an insurance company pay out if the driver is negligent?

I never used to think this was possible, as surely a person would pull into the side before falling asleep? ... until I came off a flight from LA to the UK and dozed off on the drive on the motorway back to Bristol ... woke up just in time to pull to the side, but never felt it coming. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mikebell said:

None; police and Service personnel are exempt from the laws governing the ordinary folk.  Will an insurance company pay out if the driver is negligent?

HE is negligent look at photos and read the report.....should have gone to bed earlier.....and get the normal 7-8 hours sleep people need......!!!

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

They should pay the injured 3 years ago I had the same thing happen to me I was on my way to work and this idiot fell asleep and hit me his insurance payed for my hospital bill pain and suffering and my truck I had liability insurance but I also had a injury rider on it and they also payed