Thai manners now like Chinese?

uhuh

I have been pushed over 3 times in recent weeks, by Thais. 

Once on a very empty BTS stairs, nobody there except us two people. And he pushed me over. (Somehow I still hope he was Chinese,  but he looked Thai)

This would have been unthinkable until now.

I remember how 20 years ago Thais would move out of the way for a foreigner. 

In Bangkok this stopped maybe 5 years ago, but they still would not run straight into you,  like Chinese do.

They obviously do now.

I also paid a private hospital fee today. At a place like Bumrungrad, prices are inflated but they accept your payment with a friendly smile.  Today in another hospital, the cashier behaved the way I know it from China 30 years ago. Downright aggressive. 

I have had staff at Kerry being rude to me last week in a way i hardly ever experienced in Thailand. Maybe a coincidence?

And and and...

In Pattaya,  I could always feel that Thailand really is an inhumane,  brutal society. 

In other places,  all this sugar-coating made it bearable, but the real Thailand - brutish, nasty and selfish - came more and more to light,  especially in Phuket and Bangkok. 

Now Thais seem to be even less polite than people in my home country. Nobody runs me over there. 

• Haha 2

Come to Chiang Mai or northern Thailand generally. Especially in CM are tons of tourists but the Thais are 99% friendly, helpful and smiling. Much better than in the rest of the country. Also my Thai wife is after a trip through Thailand always happy to come back.
Pattaya is a very special place and has nothing to do with the rest of Thailand. In every way.

• Like 1

I wouldn't base what happens in the capital (of any city) at a given time - or big tourist sport for that matter - on the people in general. Not trying to make light of it, but if you (unintentionally) expect something, it'll often show up. Perhaps have yourself a break from the place...

• Like 1

Actually, i just had a break from the place.

Came back and was shocked how rude people seem to have become. 

I thought similar like you,  but pushed over in the street ... no,  definitely never in Thailand. 

I really don't have a big problem with it. I can handle Chinese and I can handle my own countrymen. But the sugar-coating of Thai society was neat, sad to see it go.

4 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Try Udon Thani...still corrupt...steal your baht in a heartbeat...but always with a broad smile...

I heard Udon Thani province has the most "mia farang" houses in the country.

How do they steal your baht over there? Like not wearing a helmet, or a valid driving license? Most scams are easy to avoid. Or is there actual stealing and robbing going on there ? :shock1:

1 hour ago, nakluapattaya said:

I heard Udon Thani province has the most "mia farang" houses in the country.

How do they steal your baht over there? Like not wearing a helmet, or a valid driving license? Most scams are easy to avoid. Or is there actual stealing and robbing going on there ? :shock1:

Special "Farang" pricing when they think you have no clue.  The usual short-change routine.  Out right in-your-face lying when trying to conduct business where baht is involved.

Nothing new to see here...I am sure you find this all over Thailand...????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Special "Farang" pricing when they think you have no clue.  The usual short-change routine.  Out right in-your-face lying when trying to conduct business where baht is involved.

Nothing new to see here...I am sure you find this all over Thailand...????

I did encounter this stuff unfortanly, but only with BKK taxi drivers.

But i did get paranoid from time to time when prices are rising (for everybody not just foreigners) for example Limes are getting more expensive in some places. Where i stayed u could not find them under 5 baht/piece anymore. This did also make the lemon tea more expensive from the street vendors. Usually its 20-25 baht. One time was charged 30 and i thought i was getting ripped off. I know its just 5 baht, but for me its not about the amount, but about the intentions of people. So i was <deleted> inside. Turned out later it affected everyone.

One thing i will never get used to is dual pricing. with sometimes 500% on national parks. It makes me very sad and angry.

• Like 1