Thailand taking on far more of world’s garbage

webfact

5 hours ago, sillyfool said:
9 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

What is Thailand doing with all the garbage?

have you checked along any highway or road lately ? 

Are you iimplying there's yet another reason to stay away from Thai roads? ????

10 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Why do I get the impression that this sentence paints Thailand as a poor, innocent victim?

After all, the country could just could've banned the import of foreign garbage the same way China did. But since there's money to be made... 

And where does that money go?  

I wonder how many of them make any inquiries as to what becomes of the garbage they dispose of. The UK certainly didn't when they dumped ship loads on Malaysia.

I often wonder about all the rubbish washed up on Thai beaches. It is easy to balme all this on the lack of concern of the average Thai person,  but I suspect there may be other reasons for it ...

Currently a lot of rubbish is sent abroad from UK  (and other countries), to be dumped in Thailand (and other countries).  The shipping company will get very large sums of money for this job, and are probably paid by volume or weight.  They will have to pay the receiving company (by weight or volume) for the amount of rubbish unloaded at the receiving facility.  Perhaps a significant amount of the volume (or weight)  accidentally falls off the  transport vessel where nobody notices.  This reduces the costs at the recieving country, giving much greater profit to the shipping company.   Could this be why there is such an increasing amount of pollution in the oceans  (and the Gulf of Thailand )  ?

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand taking on far more of world’s garbage

Chinese business men are to blame. Since China closed to door to e-waste they have moved their operations to Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. Since January they have opened up 100 waste plants. 

Governing politicians are obviously approving these plants presumably with some envelope persuasion. Greed again is the driver and no one cares about the consequences; money is more important than the environment and people's health. 

The agricultural district of Chachoengsao, east of Bangkok, is one of the provinces which became a dumping ground for e-waste. While politicians pockets are affected nothing will change.

Members should read these links.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/28/deluge-of-electronic-waste-turning-thailand-into-worlds-rubbish-dump

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-16/recycled-tech-from-western-nations-destroying-thai-villages/11274578

rubbish.jpg

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

They turn it into your Honda Wave!

I did have a good chuckle at that. (actually it's a Click)

But I like to think and hope that you're are right. We (as a species) cannot just go on chucking it in the sea and hope that will just go away. It won't!

This is what countries should be improving upon to make the world at

least a cleaner place.  Recycle and get rid of your own garbage in

your own countries. Quit getting Asia to be the garbage dumping ground of the

world. Will not happen in my life time, or even my young niece and nephews

life times.

Geezer

It is still stacked up in hundreds of yards all over rural Thailand everywhere I have been in the last five years.  But, I though that importation of recycling scrap & rubbish was stopped by our exalted government a year or so back.  Unless the headline is talking about us retirees....... or naval vessels.  5555  

Archived