The Benefits Of Being Married? Visas Etc

I have been "Thai married" for 6 years. I am now thinking of having my marriage registered and giving my wife my last name.

If I do that, what are the benefits to me in regard to staying here? can I stay yearly without leaving? Is it a non immmigrant O visa I will get?

I read this thread a little and see that I have to show 40k per month coming into my bank - can this be shown 1 time and then every year I just renew or do I have to show this every year I redo my visa? At the moment I have about 100k per month coming in from the US, but that allstops in another year. I have the means and finances to stay here indefinately, but I dont have an income from an outside source. would I be better putting money into an account and then having the money put into my Thai account per month? Can I show that I own property (have investments), but I dont take monthly money from that as it would be classed as working :o that money goes into my wifes account.

Do I have to leave the country every 3 months as I do on my non immigrant B visa?

Which way is the best way to go about this as I have the money to stay, but cannot prove outside income indefinately. I also want to stop work in Thailand and carry on with a few internet business' that are global instead of regional.

Basically I just want to live the village life for a few years and be left alone, any info is much appreciated. Cheers.

edit: I remember there being a law not long ago that stated that if a Thai woman marry a farang, she can only own 1 Rai of land i here name, any info on that? cheers.

Edited by Tornado

You can get a 1 year Non Immigrant O visa, giving you 90 day stays at a time for a year or if you have enough money in the bank or enough income, you can get an extension at immigration based on marrage which will let you saty here a year at a time, renewed each year.

Having your surname after your wifes first name might slightly work in her favor when applying for visas for foriegn (western) countries, but I think living here, it would be better to just keep her last name. You will need to make that decision before you get married because when you register the marrage, they will ask you what you are going to do about her last name.

Hiya!

I hope you don't mind if I add to this topic of conversation. I have some questions along these lines that I'd really appreciate some advice on. I think I've got it straight in my head, then I read something else and I'm totally confused again!

Anyways, my situation is I am a Farang woman married to a Thai man. We have a daughter together who is >1 year old already. I have been staying in Thailand on a Group O Non-immigrant visa. My questions are...

Can I obtain a work permit on a Group O Non-Im visa? Or would I have to exit the country to get a Group B Non-Im visa and then apply for the work permit?

If I do get a job with work permit then I assume (from threads I've read on this website) I can apply for a marriage visa from within Thailand. Is this so? And that I have to earn 40K a month and have 400K in the bank? Does this 40K have to be from a Thai employer (with the 2 million B capital etc) or, as Tornado asked, can this be deposited or from overseas?

Does the yearly renewal of extension of marriage visa mean I don't have to make visa runs every 90 days as per Group O Non-Im visa? And this can be done all from within Thailand?

My visa is up for renewal in a couple of months so if I was just to reapply for another Group O Non-Im visa and not get a job do I still have to show I have an income of 40K plus 400K in the bank? (This is where I get confused as there is info on the Thai Police Immigration guidelines to say that anyone wanting to enter Thailand as they are married to a Thai has to have the 40K/400K).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Pippa

I read this thread a little and see that I have to show 40k per month coming into my bank - can this be shown 1 time and then every year I just renew or do I have to show this every year I redo my visa? At the moment I have about 100k per month coming in from the US, but that allstops in another year. I have the means and finances to stay here indefinately,

the above is a quote from the OP....sorry for the edit....

I have just applied for ,and received, a one year extension ,based on being married to a Thai..

Whilst we were being interviewed, the immigration officer picked up the letter from my embassy ,which confirmed my monthly income,...and very pointedly said " look after this, you need never buy another one, as you can use it many times".....hope this helps!!

and if you do get an extension....one of the conditions is that you report every 90 days...and this can be done by post...

the 400k in the bank is no longer a requirement..only an INCOME of 40k/month.

It used to be either 400k OR 40k/month...Or a combinationof each.....but things have changed...it now has to be 40k/month.....

good luck in your search!

Edited by ronw

Hiya!

I hope you don't mind if I add to this topic of conversation. I have some questions along these lines that I'd really appreciate some advice on. I think I've got it straight in my head, then I read something else and I'm totally confused again!

Anyways, my situation is I am a Farang woman married to a Thai man. We have a daughter together who is >1 year old already. I have been staying in Thailand on a Group O Non-immigrant visa. My questions are...

Can I obtain a work permit on a Group O Non-Im visa? Or would I have to exit the country to get a Group B Non-Im visa and then apply for the work permit?

If I do get a job with work permit then I assume (from threads I've read on this website) I can apply for a marriage visa from within Thailand. Is this so? And that I have to earn 40K a month and have 400K in the bank? Does this 40K have to be from a Thai employer (with the 2 million B capital etc) or, as Tornado asked, can this be deposited or from overseas?

Does the yearly renewal of extension of marriage visa mean I don't have to make visa runs every 90 days as per Group O Non-Im visa? And this can be done all from within Thailand?

My visa is up for renewal in a couple of months so if I was just to reapply for another Group O Non-Im visa and not get a job do I still have to show I have an income of 40K plus 400K in the bank? (This is where I get confused as there is info on the Thai Police Immigration guidelines to say that anyone wanting to enter Thailand as they are married to a Thai has to have the 40K/400K).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Pippa

As a woman married to a Thai man, neither you nor your husband need to show any particular income in order for you to stay legally in Thailand. All you have to do is show them your Thai marriage certificate and possibly some proof that you are still living together. A Farang woman friend of mine does this and she says that it is an easy, one day process.

You can get a work permit with a Type O visa. You do not need to change to a type B visa. In fact, if you do change from a type O to a type B your legal status in Thailand will depend on your continued employment at that job and if you leave that job, your type B visa will be cancelled and you will have 7 days to leave the country. :o

I don't think you need any particular salary level to get a work permit, but others may be able to give you more details about that!

Thanks ronw and otherstuff1957 for your very useful info. Hopefully it may not be as complicated as I first though (oh please, oh please let this be so!!).

I suppose the nearest immigration office should be able to advise me on what you said otherstuff1957 about long stay?

Many thanks, kind regards, Pippa

aussiestyle1983 and ronw , cheers for the info, It is probably better to do this then I think. I noticed someone else saying you can work on a non immigrant O, is that true?

You would think I would know all this, but havent been watching the new enforcement of the laws as it changes so often, who knows what they really are until you walk into the government office.

cheers again!

You can work on an non-O.

My wife used to.

Cheers Samran, that is another good reason to do this as well, although I have a non B at the mo.

So lets get this straight, if I marry (give here my last name? or can you marry without doing that?), I am allowed to stay in country every year and then get another non o from Singapore or Malaysia and repeat the cycle?.

Is there anymore bonus' to being married? any more rights? quicker to become a resident? (If I want that is).

any info on the pitfalls of marrying (yes not those ones!)? any info on anything regarding the topic is much appreciated.

bonuses for marrying...hmm.....let me think

Thai taxi drivers no longer look at me as some type of degenerate for being in my late thirties and still not married.

Saying 'my wife said' seems to carry more weight than saying 'my gf said'.

My wife no longer irritates me with questions about 'when we get married?'.

I will get back to you if I think of more :o

LOl.

also on my last throws of 30's as well mate, hit the big 40 at the end of the year. first time married, bit scarey really, then again hopefully nothing changes, it hasnt been bad for the last 6 years, so Ill see.

cheers for the banter.

Instead of giving her your last name, why don't you let her use a hyphen? In any case, once you register the marriage, you have a choice to use any form. My wife originally kept her name then later changed to use a hyphen.

Also, the rumors of less rights for a Thai woman as a result of marrying a foreigner is simply NOT true. Trust me, I know. My wife has not lost ANY rights regarding home/land ownership.

Regarding the O-visa (marriage) the main advantage is not having to leave the country to renew the visa. You should report your residence every 90 days which can be done by sending a letter to the immigration office. Make sure it is the right office!

I have an 0-visa and will be renewing my visa next week at immigration. My wife called and they needed all the forms relating to marriage, house registration, etc. and we told them we split our time between here and America. They didn't mention any income documentation but maybe it has something to do with us having 2 children. They said no problem and I don't need to leave country to renew visa and I don't need to show money. I have a multiple o visa.

I know, confusing. I will find out next week when I go with my daughter. I will report my findings later. Actually, I am a little disappointed, I thought I could escape for a few days in Singapore and play golf.

You can work on an non-O.

My wife used to.

Cheers Samran, that is another good reason to do this as well, although I have a non B at the mo.

So lets get this straight, if I marry (give here my last name? or can you marry without doing that?), I am allowed to stay in country every year and then get another non o from Singapore or Malaysia and repeat the cycle?.

Is there anymore bonus' to being married? any more rights? quicker to become a resident? (If I want that is).

any info on the pitfalls of marrying (yes not those ones!)? any info on anything regarding the topic is much appreciated.

you'd get an intial three month entry. To extend that, you'll have to show a combined family income of 40K per month, which means, your stay here is consecutive, useful if you eventually want to apply for residency which requires 3 years consecutive stay, and (amongst many other things) 3 years of Thai tax returns.

If you can't do that, then I'd assume you'd visa run every three months.

You can marry her without giving her a surname. Law changed a few years back.

Instead of giving her your last name, why don't you let her use a hyphen? In any case, once you register the marriage, you have a choice to use any form. My wife originally kept her name then later changed to use a hyphen.

Also, the rumors of less rights for a Thai woman as a result of marrying a foreigner is simply NOT true. Trust me, I know. My wife has not lost ANY rights regarding home/land ownership.

Regarding the O-visa (marriage) the main advantage is not having to leave the country to renew the visa. You should report your residence every 90 days which can be done by sending a letter to the immigration office. Make sure it is the right office!

I have an 0-visa and will be renewing my visa next week at immigration. My wife called and they needed all the forms relating to marriage, house registration, etc. and we told them we split our time between here and America. They didn't mention any income documentation but maybe it has something to do with us having 2 children. They said no problem and I don't need to leave country to renew visa and I don't need to show money. I have a multiple o visa.

I know, confusing. I will find out next week when I go with my daughter. I will report my findings later. Actually, I am a little disappointed, I thought I could escape for a few days in Singapore and play golf.

Firstly, I feel a bit honoured that you have posted on my thread :D 9 posts in 5ish years - I really do appreciate your post. :D

If you remember, I would very interested in how you get on re: income documents.

The wife, seems to like the hyphen idea, to be honest Im not bothered which way she wants to do it, as long as she is happy :o

Samran - you'd get an intial three month entry. To extend that, you'll have to show a combined family income of 40K per month, which means, your stay here is consecutive, useful if you eventually want to apply for residency which requires 3 years consecutive stay, and (amongst many other things) 3 years of Thai tax returns.

If you can't do that, then I'd assume you'd visa run every three months.

You can marry her without giving her a surname. Law changed a few years back.

Ok. I currently have 7 years of consecutive non imm b visas and have paid tax for that period also, I realise I am already within the guidelines to get residency, but how will getting a non 0 visa effect that? does that mean I have to start again in getting consectutive visas?

I dont think I want it at the moment anyway, but its good to know. I can pay to get residency for 1 mil and not even turn up for the interview = NFT.

cheers for your help.

Ok. I currently have 7 years of consecutive non imm b visas and have paid tax for that period also, I realise I am already within the guidelines to get residency, but how will getting a non 0 visa effect that?

Don’t go and get a non-O visa. Don’t get any new visa at all.

I assume you have not been her seven years getting new non-B visas from Thai consulates all the time, but that you have been getting annual extensions from the local Immigration office. You don’t want to lose this history of consecutive stay by getting a new visa from a consulate. If until now, on the line “Reason for extension” on the application form for extension, you indicated “employment”, with your next application you indicate “live with my Thai wife”. In other words, you do not change your visa, you change the reason for your application for extension of stay.

--

Maestro

P.S. Rereading your original post I see that you have been doing visa runs every 90 days. This means that you have not been on annual extensions and therefore these years on multiple-entry non-B visas do not count towards the requirement for Permanent Residence.

reasons for getting married?

Not sure, I've been single here for the nearly 10 years. I do my own laundry, cook food the way I like it. What else, Hmmmm?, oh yea (almost forgot) ....rockin' and rollin' - experiences have indicated that after the intial thrills, it settles into boredom, or as Roy Rogers mights say, 'back in the same saddle, day after day.' Didn't he wind up spending more time with Trigger, than with Dale?

As for Thai visa regulations: One thing you can count on: they will continue to be confusing and enforced subjectively/inconsistently. It's the plan. Thai immigration want the system to be convoluted and difficult, so that us farang are continually kept guessing.

Fab, lots more useful info. Thanks guys. Can I ask maestro please, I am on a Group O Non-Im which is up for renewal in a couple of months. Can I then just go to the nearest immigration office armed with marriage cert, house documents, baby in tow etc and get an extension that lasts a year? Do I then not have to do visa runs and just report every 90 days? And I can also work as long as I get a work permit? If this is all true it's the BEST news!!! So please advise and make me a very happy farang girl!!!! :o Thanks muchly, Pippa

Having your surname after your wifes first name might slightly work in her favor when applying for visas for foriegn (western) countries, but I think living here, it would be better to just keep her last name. You will need to make that decision before you get married because when you register the marrage, they will ask you what you are going to do about her last name.

Purely curiosity question...

Can the Farang man change his surname to the wife's family name??? :o This is outta pure curiosity

I am on a Group O Non-Im which is up for renewal in a couple of months. Can I then just go to the nearest immigration office armed with marriage cert, house documents, baby in tow etc and get an extension that lasts a year? Do I then not have to do visa runs and just report every 90 days? And I can also work as long as I get a work permit? If this is all true it's the BEST news!!! So please advise and make me a very happy farang girl!!!! :o Thanks muchly, Pippa

Yes to all...plus you must show evidence of minimum 40k monthly family income. This can be income earned by you, by your wife (last 3 months’ tax receipts), or a combination of both. If it is income earned abroad, you need a certified letter from your embassy to confirm it.

--

Maestro

Reasons for getting married?

If wife is unemployed you can deduct 30.000 Baht from your yearly income before tax percentage is applied.

If applying for a permanent residency application fee will only be half of that for an applicant not married to a Thai (about 95.000 against 190.000).

Other financial benefits are effective if your Thai existence involves company setup and such.

Edited by Cyberstar

I am on a Group O Non-Im which is up for renewal in a couple of months. Can I then just go to the nearest immigration office armed with marriage cert, house documents, baby in tow etc and get an extension that lasts a year? Do I then not have to do visa runs and just report every 90 days? And I can also work as long as I get a work permit? If this is all true it's the BEST news!!! So please advise and make me a very happy farang girl!!!! :o Thanks muchly, Pippa

Yes to all...plus you must show evidence of minimum 40k monthly family income. This can be income earned by you, by your wife (last 3 months’ tax receipts), or a combination of both. If it is income earned abroad, you need a certified letter from your embassy to confirm it.

--

Maestro

Just a small correction Maestro,

The rule regarding minimum household income does not exist in the case of a foreign female married to a Thai national. You can take it from me and SBK on that one, my wife (who isn't SBK just to be clear :D ) get their visa's extended annually.

In my case, in BKK, all that is needed is my wifes PP (with non-O), my house registration and my Thai ID. In our case, both myself (the Thai) and my wife had to be present. We bought bubs along this year as well, and immigration made sure that they acted as baby sitter for her as well.

Most likely they'll give an intial one month extension for 'consideration' of the application, and then extend it for another 11 months. For going to get the passport stamped for the 11 month extension, it is OK for just the wife to go down and get her extension of stay stamp put into the passport.

Thanks Maestro, Samran and Cyberstar, all usefull info.

I can now confirm what Samran says as I had to do my visa run today from Khon Kaen to Nong Khai and do the Laos hop over the fence thang ;-) Whilst I was up there I spoke to the Immigration Office and they said that with my Group O Non-Im visa my husband (Thai citizen) and I can go to their office about a week before it expires armed with Thai marriage cert, my husband's ID card, house book, my passport, 1,900B and fill in the 'application for extension of stay in Thailand form' and get a marriage visa. Advised to take originals and 2 photocopies along with 2 passport photos for the application.

I do not need to show any proof of money in the bank / income. I can work as long as I get a work permit. I have to report (as stated prev in this thread it can be done by post) every 90 days and don't have to do visa runs.

Yipppeeee!! is all I can say. This makes it all a bit clearer now as is the best possible outcome as long as they don't change their minds in a couple of months or when we turn up after having made the journey ;-) Which is all possible as we live in Thailand after all! Ha ha!

Thanks again all and I hope this info is of some use to someone else too :o

advantages:

1. do not have to go outside country every 90 days with visa run, they suck.

2. do not have to go outside to get a non-Imm. visa every 15 months(trip to US is expensive and long)

3. thai wife is a tax deduction (US tax law, but don't tell her she will want it)

4. I don't cook and she is a great cook

5. I don't wash anything

6. I don't have to listen to "when are we getting married?"

7. I don't pay bills

8. I don't have to shop for most anything

of course there are disadvantages, but will save that for another thread.

Good luck

Have been away so first read of this thread and most information has already been provided but will try a quick rundown here:

1. There is no such thing as a marriage visa but being married allows you to obtain a non immigrant O visa to visit your Thai spouse.

2. Multi entry type valid for one year are often available in western countries but very tight in local area - best to extend your stay to avoid required border runs.

3. You can extend your stay with family income proof of 40k baht per month income. For foreign income that would be letter from your Embassy. For local income tax payments. Three month record will be required each year prior to renewal. In some cases it may be prudent to have the wife become the breadwinner if funds are not something Embassy is able to confirm.

4. Foreign women seem to still be under the "male support" provisions and no check of 40k family income is currently required.

5. There is no restrictions on land ownership for Thai. But being married to foreigner the money must be that of the Thai and papers signed to the effect to prevent later problems in the event of inheritance (foreigner can now own land law). It is a routine manner and not a problem these days.

6. The yearly extension of stay will only require a visit to immigration with proof and return to get new stamp after approval and no border runs. 90 day address reports would be required but that can be done by mail and perhaps at some point on internet if it continues to be required.

• 2 weeks later...
Have been away so first read of this thread and most information has already been provided but will try a quick rundown here:

1. There is no such thing as a marriage visa but being married allows you to obtain a non immigrant O visa to visit your Thai spouse.

2. Multi entry type valid for one year are often available in western countries but very tight in local area - best to extend your stay to avoid required border runs.

3. You can extend your stay with family income proof of 40k baht per month income. For foreign income that would be letter from your Embassy. For local income tax payments. Three month record will be required each year prior to renewal. In some cases it may be prudent to have the wife become the breadwinner if funds are not something Embassy is able to confirm.

4. Foreign women seem to still be under the "male support" provisions and no check of 40k family income is currently required.

5. There is no restrictions on land ownership for Thai. But being married to foreigner the money must be that of the Thai and papers signed to the effect to prevent later problems in the event of inheritance (foreigner can now own land law). It is a routine manner and not a problem these days.

6. The yearly extension of stay will only require a visit to immigration with proof and return to get new stamp after approval and no border runs. 90 day address reports would be required but that can be done by mail and perhaps at some point on internet if it continues to be required.

Thanks very much lopburi3, much appreciated.

Sorry for not letting you know what happened at immigration. I guess I was upset over a few incidents there. There were Indians acting as facilitators for other Indians who kept cutting in line without numbers for their clients. It was rather quite disgusting. They had their hands all over the poor immigration's officers deck, moving papers around, and shoving papers and passports in her face. They then proceeded to move in the back area to get others to sign off. If I didn't know better, I would have thought they ran the place.

Anyway, the long story is the following:

I paid 1900 baht for a 60 day extension and I do get to use my multiple entry visa. I didn't want to leave to renew for another 90 day on the 12th as our family and I are going out of the country in 6 weeks. It was very straight forward (forms, pictures, various copies, and fee) except the unpleasantness of those pushy Indians.

BTW....I had a great deal more posts on this website. I don't know what happened with my number.