BMA plans to make crossing of roads for elderly pedestrians safer

webfact

By The Nation

800_967db49b55943e1.png?v=1572760194

Bangkok will improve flyovers and pedestrian crossings by installing universally recommended facilities to help the elderly safely cross roads, permanent secretary of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), Silapasuai Rawisaengsun, said.

She said the BMA will also  run a campaign to raise awareness on safe driving to lower the rate of accidents.

Regarding the development of infrastructure for an ageing society, road-crossing signals will be established along with flyovers with lifts for the elderly and the disabled particularly in crowded areas.

Flyovers with ramps linking King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital and Lumpini Park are also in the works to serve as an example for other flyovers in Bangkok that provide easier ways to cross roads, the secretary said.

BMA will further improve pedestrian walkways by making more ramps with the steep ratio not exceeding 1:12 at crossroads, alleys, and street isles.

The BMA will support the ageing society by launching a hotline 1555 for the elderly who face obstacles when crossing roads.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378021

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-04

I recall flyovers (overhead pedestrian crossings in my parlance) in Chiang Mai. But people seemed more inclined to cross half a dozen lanes of fast moving traffic to avoid stair climbing.

I can't recall if there were elevators as proposed here (hmm, elevators require service).

But otherwise, a very progressive move.

When will the Thai police start to fine vehicles who ignore zebra crossings?

I always brake reluctantly when I arrive at a zebra crossing with a red light. And the reason for my hesitation is that I first have to make sure that no vehicle from behind will crash into my bike because many of them just ignore zebra crossings (with or without traffic light).

The police should be able to collect a fortune in fines on any of those crossings but they still don't care. Amazing Thailand!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The BMA will support the ageing society by launching a hotline 1555 for the elderly who face obstacles when crossing roads.

"Hello, i'm not able to cross the road here, can you send some construction workers to build a pedestian bridge asap"

47 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I always brake reluctantly when I arrive at a zebra crossing with a red light. And the reason for my hesitation is that I first have to make sure that no vehicle from behind will crash into my bike because many of them just ignore zebra crossings (with or without traffic light).

The police should be able to collect a fortune in fines on any of those crossings but they still don't care. Amazing Thailand!

Where I am even the police ignore people zebra crossings, OK they do swerve to avoid them.

After extensive research and foreign trips using an entire 747 the govt has invested in the appropriate equipment, at just 50,000 baht a  set ( discounted by 500%) they are awaiting test results and approval from the almighty Prayut

Any pensioner  who can cross the road with the  device will get a shiny 1  baht coin and his own free spare set.

The "hi tech" device is imported by  a  top ministerial aid at substantial discounts for the Thai people......said a "superpoll"

34292484-a-vintage-ball-and-chain-with-an-open-shackle-on-an-isolated-white-studio-background.jpg

1 hour ago, neeray said:

I recall flyovers (overhead pedestrian crossings in my parlance) in Chiang Mai. But people seemed more inclined to cross half a dozen lanes of fast moving traffic to avoid stair climbing.

I can't recall if there were elevators as proposed here (hmm, elevators require service).

Plus if you cross under the bridge you can stay in the shade. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I recall stopping at a zebra crossing in Udon Thani only to watch in horror as a following car almost mowed down the folks who were crossing. Yes, I too am also very wary about stopping now. I sometimes feel guilty about it, but in this situation, it seem that breaking the law is the safer option!

I think the only way they will ever make zebra crossings safe here is by installing raising bollards in the road and warning lights to stop the traffic.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

road-crossing signals will be established along with flyovers with lifts for the elderly and the disabled particularly in crowded areas.

Cool - a new way for motorcyclists to get across the road.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Once again I have to post this video  showing what happens on Thai Zebra crossings ( some viewers may find it disturbing )

17 minutes ago, johng said:

Once again I have to post this video  showing what happens on Thai Zebra crossings ( some viewers may find it disturbing )

And now I like to see interviews with the drivers who didn't stop and hit pedestrians. I bet at least half of them will blame those annoying pedestrians who didn't stop for them.

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:
7 minutes ago, The Alien said:

I saw many times elderly western tourists waiting for 15 minutes at zebra crossings (thinking like in their countries) but no cars  specially motorcycles gave a damn.

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't worry when they stop...

Neither do I. They are safer where they are and so am I!

'When in Rome..........' as the saying goes.

What does surprise me somewhat is why Thais do not seem to be aware of the dangers? You can see in the earlier posted  video that they don't look around them, just blindly walk on into a known hazardous situation. One guy was even looking in the opposite direction just before a motorcycle plowed into him. I just don't get it.

Thank goodness I live in a small village where I can safely walk down the middle of the road. 

3 hours ago, neeray said:

We got the flyover down here with Escalators   :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Where I am even the police ignore people zebra crossings, OK they do swerve to avoid them.

There should never be zebra crossings anywhere, there should always be pedestrian lights instead.

I know that won't make much difference here in Thailand, but in normal civilised countries, that

should be the case.

30 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

There should never be zebra crossings anywhere, there should always be pedestrian lights instead.

I know that won't make much difference here in Thailand, but in normal civilised countries, that

should be the case.

To a degree, I agree with you. I nearly got mowed down in the small market town I lived in the UK, whilst legitimately using a zebra crossing.

But whilst lasting out at Thailand, we must forget this is a common problem in most of the lesser developed countries of the world. There's a saying in Cairo, Egypt: 'If you want to cross the road, hail a taxi'.

Another "plans" story from the Thai government.... :1zgarz5:

My mother used to have an old saying (slightly revised for this topic) that I think applies well here....

"If plans were horses, then beggars would ride!"

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are toll collectors in uniform and very few doing any sort of proactive traffic enforcement.

The headline  " Bangkok will improve flyovers and pedestrian crossings by installing universally recommended facilities to help the elderly safely cross roads, ..."

But there is no detail whatever in the story abou the 'universally recommended facilities'. Poor reporting again... 

Archived