Aviation industry to counter flight shaming movement: IATA chief

snoop1130

On 11/6/2019 at 7:19 AM, impulse said:

I'm kind of wondering how she (Ms Greta) gets around from one speaking engagement to another...

The funny thing is that a Greenpeace activist and an Exxon executive on the same plane both create the same amount of pollution.

Blimey, it was plastered all over the news, how did you miss it?:

To the US:

Greta Thunberg Arrives in New York After Sailing Across ...

Back from US (4 days ago):

Greta Thunberg asks for lift back across Atlantic as climate ...

image.png.dd44555019ea7259dd437e65845394c1.png

image.png

Edited by Enoon

On 11/6/2019 at 5:16 PM, RideJocky said:

So Los Angeles to New York is about 4,500km, how long by high-speed train? 

how many stops?

sleeper cars? 

do high speed trains go over mountains? 

is it going to be solar powered? 

over 500 airports that service commercial flights in the US. Any idea what the infrastructure would cost, what the environmental impact would be, and how many decades it would take to get through the permitting process it would take just to serve the top 20 airports? 

So in the end, the rich elites still get to fly and own cars, and old humps like me are stuck at home with push-bikes. Outstanding.

does not greta thunbergs big supporter, arnold terminator schwartzenegger have a garage full of high powered gasoline exotic cars and even perhaps a tank or humvee ??

On 11/6/2019 at 1:25 PM, RideJocky said:

Seriously? Carrying “as much as can possibly be lifted”?

hilarious. 

the more weight you put on, the more fuel you burn. Optimum flight weight is determined prior to departure and if a flight is too light they generally make it up with freight. 

So anyways, who’s ready to give up air-mail, courier service and airfreight? 

Me. 

14 hours ago, atyclb said:

does not greta thunbergs big supporter, arnold terminator schwartzenegger have a garage full of high powered gasoline exotic cars and even perhaps a tank or humvee ??

The Governator's Humvee runs on LPG so it is not bad for the environment. In that way it is similar to Greta's yacht, it is in no way ridiculous.

On 11/6/2019 at 12:38 PM, billd766 said:

What alternative transportation is available as a return trip for someone living in Thailand who has 2 weeks holiday and needs to go to the UK, EU or the USA?

I am not sure if there any shipping lines that offer accommodation nor how long the journey would take.

If you wanted to take a train you may have to get to perhaps Vladivostok and catch the Trans Siberian Express.

If you want to go overland you will need visas for a lot of countries.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/experimental-travel/topics/from-uk-to-thailand-without-flying

To get to the USA without flying you would have to travel by sea. I didn't find any threads about Thailand to the USA by sea.

I did work out once how to travel from Chiang Rai to my home village in Somerset by land: bus to Hanoi (changing bus a couple of times in Laos), then train via China, Russia, Poland, Germany, France and so through the tunnel to the UK. A fortnight or so if I recall! The real crippler would be the bus to my home village - it only runs twice a week!