Battery tab spot welding service; anywhere?? Bangkok

atyclb

I want to spot weld power leads on a cr2016 coin battery. am willing to pay a place that can do it. It is a cmos battery for a laptop but labor intensive to get access thus would like to spot weld to insure best durability as taking it apart again is tedious.

pic shows what a spot welder can do.   solder wont work and heat will likely destroy battery IMG_20191104_170050.thumb.jpg.a5921e16183f939a69c0e80dc314fee5.jpg

Various branches of Amorn certainly used to offer a re-celling service for laptop and power tool batteries. They have the relevant spot-welding kit and would doubtless do the job for a nominal fee.

But as noted above, if it's a CMOS battery it should last a very long time, replace the existing and forget about it for the life of the machine.

15 hours ago, Jan Dietz said:

https://www.es.co.th/detail.asp?Prod=010200769

CR2032 so will last twice as long ????

around THB40, just move over the wires.

the cmos battery i ordered online supposedly for my laptop was a 2032 but after disassembling i learned it is a 2016 and where it is (inferior motherboard face) is just enough clearance to allow reassembly. the 2032 while small is nearly twice as thick as the 2016 . see pic black 2016 in original location before removing it. can see yellow 2032 cmos next to it

IMG_20191101_164824.jpg

IMG_20191101_165328.jpg

19 hours ago, maxpower said:

If you are looking to bring a CMOS battery to an easy an accessible location consider soldering leads to a 2016 holder.

2016b.jpg.0c397f4ee9f6fa7fc4b0ef77599dc97c.jpg

a very good idea. i didn;t know these things existed. the thickness of holder may not allow reassembly. 

i am experimenting with various ways to securely attach leads. online i see electrical conductive 2 part epoxy. use either powdered silver or copper to mix in to epoxy. i will try powdered copper to test.

seems ordinary 2 part epoxy maintained electrical conduction when tested using bare multifilament wire (pic) likely some wire in direct contact with battery since without metal filler epoxy is not conductive. bond is very strong .  other option is electric conductive tape

IMG_20191106_192030.jpg

Never done it with disk type batteries, but soldered leads to plenty of D-Cells, just be careful to not overheat. 

I would lay the battery on a chunk of ice, put a spot of flux on on it. 

Tin the wire and get a drop of solder on it, keep the iron on it and lower onto the battery. Remove the heat as soon as it flows. This should be almost instantaneous. 

Flip and repeat.

You should scuff the battery before you start. Practice on the old one first.

11 hours ago, RideJocky said:

Never done it with disk type batteries, but soldered leads to plenty of D-Cells, just be careful to not overheat. 

I would lay the battery on a chunk of ice, put a spot of flux on on it. 

Tin the wire and get a drop of solder on it, keep the iron on it and lower onto the battery. Remove the heat as soon as it flows. This should be almost instantaneous. 

Flip and repeat.

You should scuff the battery before you start. Practice on the old one first.

theres a youtube video that shows doing it with solder gun at 400 degrees, flux and perhaps low temp solder but mind you the wires soldered add thickness. i will use conductive epoxy with the old tabs that way it will be as thin as possible.  the clearance for cmos battery is tiny in this ultrabook.

Archived