Advice re internet dong / pocket wifi appeciated

scorecard

I've tried to understand how these items work, specially the billing but still lost.

On Lazada Thailand there are many such items for sale in the price range of 6xx to 9xx Baht, but I'm lost as to:

1. Do I need to buy access to the internet signals from a local ISP, and can I then get a signal and us this signal long-term anywhere in the world? And what sort of costs (apart from buying the item perhaps from Lazada) are typical for this step?

2. Is 1. above a once only charge or is there monthly billing and is that standard amount regardless of usage, or?

3. I can see this would provide a signal into my laptop, but can I also use such items to provide a signal into my smartphone?

4. Can I use these items to provide internet signal into my TV?

All advice much appreciated, thanks 

Further to post #2, you can buy a SIM card that offers unlimited data capped at a speed of 10 Mbps(1.25 MB/s), which should be enough for streaming/laptop/Smartphone.

The device creates a WiFi signal for your devices. The SIM that you place within provides the Internet signal to the MiFi.

If you want to obtain the 10 Mbps unlimited SIM from AIS, you should do it now. Since their offer is possibly only available until the 7th of this month.

You can find the codes elsewhere on this board. I'm am no longer supplying them.

So buy the SIM now(if AIS) and activate the package. When the MiFi arrives, place the SIM within.

Neglected to include that the prepaid SIM card has a monthly cost of 200 baht per month for the unlimited data connection. As long as you have enough credit on the SIM it should auto-renew each month.

If not, top up and re-apply the code.

So 50 baht for the SIM and 200 baht per month ongoing costs.

MiFi, between 1200 and 1400 baht. You can buy a 4G home router, instead of a mobile WiFi(MiFi), if you need to cover a larger house area. From perhaps 2000 baht.

The advantage of a fixed router is a much larger WiFi range, the ability to connect a lot more device(up to 32), an Ethernet port and the ability to connect via VPN(so that any device connecting to the Router can appear to be connecting to a country location of your choice. Dependent on the VPN service to which you subscribe).

The main advantage of a MiFi is the ability to use it anywhere. Bus, taxi etc

It really depends on how and where you intend to use it.

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

It would help others to understand what you are talking about if you can post a picture or make and model number to enable correct relevant information to be given. ????

Thanks. I have little knowledge of this whole subject so I can't discuss hi-tech details.

However here's the situation, moving back to western country for a couple of years then back to Thailand.

Already have a small unfurnished apartment rented in the new location but there is no internet or telephone (land line) or TV service installed. All must be arranged and paid for by the tenant and I'm hoping to set up something which suits my need fairly cheaply because it's not permanent. I don't plan to get a land line phone installed unless it would make it easier and less expensive to install other equipment / get some sort of package.

My internet usage is: notebook computer for basic searches (I don't need super fast, no gaming, no data transfer stuff, and I'll use my notebook to communicate with family in LOS on the LINE application. Plus hopefully TV signal through the internet. I will need internet service on my smartphone.

I intend to keep my AIS postpaid tel. account going in Thailand (pay monthly by K Cyber internet banking). 

Will need to make occasional local phone calls to gov't office or local bank (in the abroad location) etc. For this I'm thinking to use a local SIM card in my current not too old Samsung smartphone.

I'm elderly and I don't intend to travel more than occasional local shopping to complement grocery etc., shopping on-line. 

I've noted comments about dongles and pocket internet, and mifi but my knowledge of these is pretty low.

From another response It seems I could buy a dongle or pocket internet here in LOS for the one time product purchase price plus about 200Baht monthly fees, all administered in LOS and easily paid by internet banking with a Thai bank.. But am I confusing myself that this arrangement would provide the services I'm hoping for in another country?

The actual products I've noticed are but I'm lost whether they are designed / intent to suit what I'm hoping for, and of course there are possibly other products that I'm not even aware of: 

image.png.6faf4e0e1d1079e37ca1cf215bbd98e2.png

image.png.6941186a474ee725fefe29c3569cc3dd.png

image.png.abf6c0571c9ae8e42100a4f75ed7995c.png

image.png.125a22c9c5f058158a732823235daf10.png

image.png.14e3499220340c4d24c2653db820cada.png

image.png.4ffd0e8a1f23f720bd0de00ab087cb77.pngimage.png.b2a744d162f6c197b6e34b6330632126.pngimage.png.0f507d7d86511548968fdbd9124922d4.png

Generally speaking, a fixed install at your residence is best in most cases. It will probably be cheaper, but watch for notice periods on termination, contract periods, and of course installation costs.

Before you consider "mobile" options/use check the fixed service cost as you dont need any special "add-on" devices. I say this as you state "a few years" not months.

Not quite sure why you need to keep the AIS service but if you are then drop it to the lowest package available to keep it alive, if you might need it for banking or something in LOS. Everything else can be done from the fixed install. Explore the costs of that first before considering and choosing a "mobile" solution is my opinion.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

From another response It seems I could buy a dongle or pocket internet here in LOS for the one time product purchase price plus about 200Baht monthly fees, all administered in LOS and easily paid by internet banking with a Thai bank.. But am I confusing myself that this arrangement would provide the services I'm hoping for in another country?

You need to be really careful  A SIM that you buy in Thailand may work on a US network, but only in a roaming mode.  Which may be very expensive.  Also note that, unlike Thailand, a lot of US cell providers specifically prohibit tethering, so you're limited to the device the dongle is actually plugged into.  There are ways around it, but that's a topic to research on YouTube.  Things change when competitive pressures force the providers to offer features that become available from others.

That's assuming you're moving to the USA.  Similar caveats apply to other countries, though they have different rules and practices.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

You need to be really careful  A SIM that you buy in Thailand may work on a US network, but only in a roaming mode.  Which may be very expensive.  Also note that, unlike Thailand, a lot of US cell providers specifically prohibit tethering, so you're limited to the device the dongle is actually plugged into.  There are ways around it, but that's a topic to research on YouTube.  Things change when competitive pressures force the providers to offer features that become available from others.

That's assuming you're moving to the USA.  Similar caveats apply to other countries, though they have different rules and practices.

Thanks good information and understood.

In my case it's Australia.

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks good information and understood.

In my case it's Australia.

In this case, forget about the Thai SIM idea. You'll need an Australian SIM package. It will be a lot more expensive than 200 baht per month. You were advised on your other thread as to how much it is likely to cost in Australia.

Archived