Udon Thani: Father warns parents after teen dies while playing computer games

webfact

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

However you do realize you cant do this much longer. I dont think i wasted time playing computer games it taught me a lot about computers and helped me a lot later in life

Correct, as for computers, the boys have already agreed to start a computer course at college next year, they like computers, and English we have thrown in tutoring on Saturdays, Sundays as well if they need/want it, but I think a day to themselves would be well deserved.

Computers as you know is like petrol to a car, you cannot drive it without the petrol, and English, well that just adds another platform for their journey in life, sure beats the hell out of drugs/alcohol and speed ???? 

We don't just beat them, so to speak, we educate them, try to them to see the things they cannot foresee, we recently took them to Sydney with us for 12 days, they loved it, they have also been to a lot of places with us in Thailand, and my sayings to them is, you can have whatever you want in life if you work for it, and shortcuts are for losers, think before you make your move, plan, plan, plan, work, work, work, invest, invest, invest, and then collect the dividends, the penny has dropped, but they still drag their feet, organisational skills are slow, but fast coming when we bring out the 4 x 2 ???? 

The smartphone is the babysitter when Mom is too busy with her social media or playing bubble pop game. At the beach they are busy with making selfies so everybody is huddled around the phone. Can't even take time out for dinner without the social media chat. 

15 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Correct, as for computers, the boys have already agreed to start a computer course at college next year, they like computers, and English we have thrown in tutoring on Saturdays, Sundays as well if they need/want it, but I think a day to themselves would be well deserved.

Computers as you know is like petrol to a car, you cannot drive it without the petrol, and English, well that just adds another platform for their journey in life, sure beats the hell out of drugs/alcohol and speed ???? 

We don't just beat them, so to speak, we educate them, try to them to see the things they cannot foresee, we recently took them to Sydney with us for 12 days, they loved it, they have also been to a lot of places with us in Thailand, and my sayings to them is, you can have whatever you want in life if you work for it, and shortcuts are for losers, think before you make your move, plan, plan, plan, work, work, work, invest, invest, invest, and then collect the dividends, the penny has dropped, but they still drag their feet, organisational skills are slow, but fast coming when we bring out the 4 x 2 ???? 

My English improved a lot because of my computer games I was the best on the elementary school because of the computer. There were so many terms i learned  because of the computer.

However now computers are getting less and less (still used for offices) but phones and tablets take over a lot too. Yesterday I was at AIS getting 2 sims for my parents (they are here on a holiday) and all was done with a tablet. Putting money on it taking pictures of Thai person wanting the sims and so on. I think people who don't play with smartphones (basically a small tablet) are missing out on a lot. (Just my 2 cents).

I think your doing a great job and I find it harsh but some kids / situations need it. There is no perfect solution or one size fits all. I know your doing it to better them. Everything has trade offs, you keep them out of trouble but they have less contacts in the village. That is not a problem if they move out of course. 

I think that raising of kids depends on the kid. My brother and me were raised the same (i was the oldest). I never got in trouble.. but my brother did a lot and broke of school early. While we were raised the same. Thankfully my brother turned around when older did night studies to get his certificates. and does good now. But he still curses and wished he did better when you. While I was jealous before that he worked and had money way before me while i was still studying till i was quite old. But looking back I might have studied even more.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

There is no perfect solution or one size fits all. I know your doing it to better them. Everything has trade offs, you keep them out of trouble but they have less contacts in the village. That is not a problem if they move out of course. 

Yes, it's all about the trade off, life has phases, friends come and go, and you would be lucky to count them on one hand as the saying goes.

As their mum has Australian Citizenship and they liked Sydney, when they complete their studies here and excel in English, the door is wide open, all they have to do is walk through it at 18 or older, "up to them".

Both my wife and I didn't have such opportunities, wrong crowds growing up, both parents busy working to make a dime to provide for the kids, no guidance, I too did night school for one piece of paper for 3 years and daytime for another later in life, these guys have it all, they just have to want to take it and know which path to take.

Agree on the tablets, the 10 & 5 year olds are wicked on them, leave me for dead, the boys have their mobiles, no doubt tablets when they start their courses, i.e. we will support them financially, but will want to see returns on our investments, e.g. their mobiles were paid by me, and mum and I put in 1,000 baht each for their birthday present which of course was the mobiles, but they each pay me 50 baht per week till they pay them off.

Life's a bitch, but the money they pay me will go straight back to them when they have paid their mobiles off, because they achieved what we wanted them to achieve.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Strang that you think its an binary thing, maybe its your age. 

I can yap in my smart phone enjoy it on the beach (and I will on my holdiday) while at other times I will be in the ocean snorkeling or watching things. Its not as if you need to watch a sunset for hours. 

Maybe you like watching paint dry too. 

Only when it's fresh on the canvas.