Anyone Else Encounter Violence?

vultureintree

Last Friday night, I was at Chiang Mai University library with my son. When we went back to our vehicle, I noticed a white Honda Jazz, with no plates, parked beside me with it's engine running. I thought some students were having a go inside. Anyways, I put the books into the back of my truck and that is when some jerk tried to stun me with a stun gun. I turned around and he tried again but I blocked it with my left arm and slugged him with my right while yelling to my son to call the police. Anyways, he crawled back into the jazz and they drove away. I didn't follow as they might have had a gun. I have lived in many countries and this is the first time.

Last Friday night, I was at Chiang Mai University library with my son. When we went back to our vehicle, I noticed a white Honda Jazz, with no plates, parked beside me with it's engine running. I thought some students were having a go inside. Anyways, I put the books into the back of my truck and that is when some jerk tried to stun me with a stun gun. I turned around and he tried again but I blocked it with my left arm and slugged him with my right while yelling to my son to call the police. Anyways, he crawled back into the jazz and they drove away. I didn't follow as they might have had a gun. I have lived in many countries and this is the first time.

That is frightening! I'm sorry you had to go through that, especially with your son present. I urge you to report this to the Police, The Tourist Police and the CMU Police. I don't think white Honda Jazz's are that common (especially with no plates) and there's a good chance maybe the assailant could be caught. Thanks for the heads up and I hope you never suffer anything similar again.

As lannarebirth mentioned it should definitely be reported, at least to the university. I work there and have seen one or two white jazz's around. They used to not allow anyone in the gates without a university sticker or else they have to turn over their id cards. Maybe time for them to get that going again. Will certainly be keeping my eyes open.

simple

White honda jazz -

I think there is less then 50 white jazz maybe at most 100

if you want to hunt the guy down .

first go to The place where you register your car . and get record of White honda jazz.

do a run .. one will pop up .

trylooking for car within 25 km radius first

simple

White honda jazz -

I think there is less then 50 white jazz maybe at most 100

if you want to hunt the guy down .

first go to The place where you register your car . and get record of White honda jazz.

do a run .. one will pop up .

trylooking for car within 25 km radius first

:o

The Tourist Police are very helpful and all speak English. I keep their quick-access number in my cell phone and can ring them by pushing a single key.

Another place to report violence against yourself is your Consulate or Embassy. If they get increasing reports of violence against their citizens, they will pressure the police for action. This is true also of assaults by other farangs - if you can get an ID, report them to both your and their Embassies and to CM Immigration. We don't need foreign violent rednecks in Thailand no matter where they come from.

As lannarebirth mentioned it should definitely be reported, at least to the university. I work there and have seen one or two white jazz's around. They used to not allow anyone in the gates without a university sticker or else they have to turn over their id cards. Maybe time for them to get that going again. Will certainly be keeping my eyes open.

Only if you're on a bike, in my experience. Never been stopped in my car (no sticker), and have never seen anyone else stopped in a car...

Edited by Ajarn

Only if you're on a bike, in my experience. Never been stopped in my car, and have never seen anyone else stopped in a car...

It's cyclical when they stopped every car coming in and if no sticker had to hand over their ID card, started about 1+ years ago - you may have noticed the new setup at the gates (tight entrance and speed bump). Sometimes will be for several weeks they do it. Been a few months since they last did this so don't know what determines when & why it happens. There was a spate of computer thefts and motorcycle thefts at the university and believe this was the reasoning.

When I first got my uni sticker I didn't have a chance to put on the windscreen and they stopped me each time but showed my university ID card and they let me through.

The Tourist Police are very helpful and all speak English. I keep their quick-access number in my cell phone and can ring them by pushing a single key.

Another place to report violence against yourself is your Consulate or Embassy. If they get increasing reports of violence against their citizens, they will pressure the police for action. This is true also of assaults by other farangs - if you can get an ID, report them to both your and their Embassies and to CM Immigration. We don't need foreign violent rednecks in Thailand no matter where they come from.

Just out of interest - how many times (and over what period of time) have you had to hit that speed dial button?

JxP

Just out of interest - how many times (and over what period of time) have you had to hit that speed dial button?

JxP

Fortunately never in six years but I do believe in being prepared for emergencies. With a wife who rides around on a motorbike, I have her keep the emergency number and my cell on speed dial as well. If it weren't for the phone and camera availablility in case of accident, I likely wouldn't even own one.

Plus after being an ambulance pilot for so long, I don't like standing around and looking helpless at the scene of an accident.

Thanks for asking tho, or were you suspecting a bit of paranoia?

Maybe I'm just being over-sensitive . . . but . . . . does anyone else smell a troll?

Hi JxP

I hope and don't think this is a troll - I think he had an unfortunate and nasty experience. Gotta face it, in this world there are plenty of people who look at farung as an easy target with protentially good payoff.

A friend of mine was robbed in Bangkok by two or three guys in the street late at night. The grabbed his wallet and chain from around his neck. He lost about 6,000 baht in cash plus a gold chain worth maybe 10,000 they got a months wages for 30 seconds "work". He also lost a tooth in the exchange, and was badly bruised around the face and body when the beat him up. He had to spend a night in the hospital while they took xrays and treated him He has been in Thailand since the mid 70s and lived on Samuii for years when I was there. He was in Bangkok to catch up with some friends and heading back to his hotel (alone) when he was jumped. Scared the crap out of him and made him realise he is no longer a young man able to take care of himself if attacked by a bunch of young Thais. I think he was lucky not to have been badly hurt becuase he would most definitely have put up a fair bit of resistance.

Looked at the post that he is leaving to go back to North Florida - good luck, nice air (mostly), pity about the hurricanes, coke dealers, and guys with guns walking the steets.

Me I stay here and take my chances with the polution :o

CB

I'm not familiar with forum terminology. What is a 'troll'?

I've had a few late night encounters with young Thais, usually very late when people are flooding out of clubs. A friend of mine was followed on his bike, karate kicked in the head and shot at with a pelet gun. He managed to get away.

I am not sure what bubble some people live in here. It's as violent as many other countries. Just many farang are ensconced in their moo barns away from it all. Get your girlfriends to translate the local rags to you.

i don't know if it's a troll or not, but the original story seems incomplete. anyway, sounds less like a random act of street violence and more like a personal thing. do many stun-gun-bearing robbers hang out waiting for victims at university libraries? it's not exactly a scuffle with some drunken teenagers coming out of a disco. vulture, can you tell us more about the incident? what do you think were these guys after?

Edited by Puwa

I'm not familiar with forum terminology. What is a 'troll'?

I've had a few late night encounters with young Thais, usually very late when people are flooding out of clubs. A friend of mine was followed on his bike, karate kicked in the head and shot at with a pelet gun. He managed to get away.

I am not sure what bubble some people live in here. It's as violent as many other countries. Just many farang are ensconced in their moo barns away from it all. Get your girlfriends to translate the local rags to you.

I won't disagree with you. Citylife magazine here in CM did a feature article about violence in Thailand a few months ago. Apparently, Thailand comes in 5th in the world in handgun murders per capita. There are definitely parts of town, and certain people, who you would be much better off avoiding. I think this is true of anywhere on earth, however.

JxP

Fortunately never in six years but I do believe in being prepared for emergencies. With a wife who rides around on a motorbike, I have her keep the emergency number and my cell on speed dial as well. If it weren't for the phone and camera availablility in case of accident, I likely wouldn't even own one.

Plus after being an ambulance pilot for so long, I don't like standing around and looking helpless at the scene of an accident.

Thanks for asking tho, or were you suspecting a bit of paranoia?

It was late, had had a few beers and couldn't sleep - it was suspicion and not concern that fuelled my post!

Absolutely nothing wrong with being prepared, glad you have never had to make use of it - didn't mean to make you justify yourself.

JxP

i don't know if it's a troll or not, but the original story seems incomplete. anyway, sounds less like a random act of street violence and more like a personal thing. do many stun-gun-bearing robbers hang out waiting for victims at university libraries? it's not exactly a scuffle with some drunken teenagers coming out of a disco. vulture, can you tell us more about the incident? what do you think were these guys after?

'Incomplete' is a good word to describe why I felt the post had troll-like qualities - anyway I regret the posting now as I have nothing to really back it up and would hate to have the acusation of troll levelled at me. The content in the OP's posting record suggests that he can take of himself or is at least making preparations to do so.

JxP

Maybe I'm just being over-sensitive . . . but . . . . does anyone else smell a troll?

Hi JxP

I hope and don't think this is a troll - I think he had an unfortunate and nasty experience. Gotta face it, in this world there are plenty of people who look at farung as an easy target with protentially good payoff.

A friend of mine was robbed in Bangkok by two or three guys in the street late at night. The grabbed his wallet and chain from around his neck. He lost about 6,000 baht in cash plus a gold chain worth maybe 10,000 they got a months wages for 30 seconds "work". He also lost a tooth in the exchange, and was badly bruised around the face and body when the beat him up. He had to spend a night in the hospital while they took xrays and treated him He has been in Thailand since the mid 70s and lived on Samuii for years when I was there. He was in Bangkok to catch up with some friends and heading back to his hotel (alone) when he was jumped. Scared the crap out of him and made him realise he is no longer a young man able to take care of himself if attacked by a bunch of young Thais. I think he was lucky not to have been badly hurt becuase he would most definitely have put up a fair bit of resistance.

Looked at the post that he is leaving to go back to North Florida - good luck, nice air (mostly), pity about the hurricanes, coke dealers, and guys with guns walking the steets.

Me I stay here and take my chances with the polution :o

CB

Hi CB

I guess I should just count myself amongst the lucky ones. I also intend to brave the pollution (and violence) and remain here.

JxP

Perhaps you would like to question my 11 year old son? You can believe what you wish about this random act. It had nothing to do with me being a farang. They were waiting for the owner of a new vehicle, which will be for sale soon, and it happened to be me. The next day, i saw what looked like finger prints on the driver's side window. I didn't bother going to the police and spend hours there when if fact, they wouldn't do anything anyways. Besides, that Thai may be missing a few teeth.

The white 4 door Honda Jazz, was in very good condition, very clean and had very dark tinted windows. Someone else was driving it as the one who attacked me climbed into the back seat.

Crime exists everywhere and one needs to have open eyes no matter where they are, especially at night.